All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When should I take Bentyl? new
      #96816 - 08/09/04 01:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know I could call the doctor or pharmacy for this, but I think I'll get a better answer from you guys.

When should I take Bentyl? The doctor said to take it when I'm having problems with cramping, no matter when it's occurring. The flyer from the pharmacy indicates that I should take it 30 minutes before a meal. Is it then ok to take on an empty stomach? Even if I'm not planning on eating anytime soon?

Other than antibiotics, I've never had a prescription medication in my life, and I'm nervous as heck about taking it. Some of the side effects sound like they'd bother me worse than the cramping!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When should I take Bentyl?
      #96819 - 08/09/04 01:23 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I hate to be the bearer for poor news, but I personally found that the side-effects of Bentyl were worse than the little relief it provided. I always took it regularly (when I was taking it), not just before or during cramping, so I can't speak for the difference. Perhaps others have had better luck though.

A better alternative is Dicetel, which has almost no side effects but unfortunately isn't available in the US. However, it is available in Canada and since you're in Maine it might not be a bad option to check it out, assuming that you can get a script for it. It's far from perfect, but I find that it does take the 'edge' off a little bit.

- Vincent

Re: When should I take Bentyl? new
      #96820 - 08/09/04 01:28 PM

Unregistered

I have been taking Bentyl since October and I did get the kinda blurred vision thing they say is a side effect which made me want to sleep, but that quickly went away. I take the 20 mg pills and am told to take them 4 times a day before I eat. So I was kinda anal about it when I first started the pills and took them every 6 hours of the day (6am, noon, 6pm and midnight). Well now I take them when I feel like I need them just because I've gotten much better and I don't want to become immune to them if that's possible.
My doctor even told me that these pills were very often prescribed to pregnant women for morning sickness and are therefore something that I could really just take forever.
Anyways, I take them like they say, before I eat-and sometimes that's like a 1/2 hour and sometimes as close as right before I stick food in my mouth. But a lot of times, if I haven't taken one, and then I'm not feeling good, I will take one. They are fine on an empty stomach and even if you aren't planning on eating after you take it. I'll take one at night before bed with my vitamin just cause.
I have a friend that takes Bentyl too, and I believe that hers is a 10mg pill, and she told me that her doctor also tells her to take them if she's cramping, and if it's bad to take 2 (which is then equal to the one I take).
And now that I've taken these for so long and have stopped being so worried, I have taken pills as close as within a couple hours of each other and have been just fine.
The only thing I would say you need to "worry about" is just the getting-used-to of them, which again really wasn't as bad as most pills you hear about. I only experienced the blurred vision and some fatigue even that wasn't that bad--especially for how much they seemed to help me! Good luck with them and let me know if you have anymore questions I can help you with!
Brittany

Hey, thanks! new
      #96824 - 08/09/04 01:38 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

That was pretty thorough. Thanks for all the information! I had a feeling that the dosing of it was pretty liberal... the label just says, "1 or 2 capsules up to 4 times a day". She did prescribe me the lowest dose, the 10mg, because honestly, my cramping isn't *that* bad. (Even on my worst days, they don't even remotely compare to menstrual cramps, LOL!)

Anyway, thanks again, Brittany - that really helped!

#96832 - 08/09/04 02:02 PM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

I take it 4x a day whether I'm gonna eat or not and it doesn't bother me. If you're afraid it will bother you, have crackers or some small meal with it. Never had a problem and I've been on it for 2+ years. It's also helping in this recent attack. I take 2 if I'm really bad. Believe me I notice when I forget to take it...

Thanks for your help, too. I will respond to that later, I've been trying to organize my life to get ready to leave....
Karen =)

#96938 - 08/09/04 06:42 PM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

I am now on librax, but when i took bentyl, i took it 30 minutes before i ate breakfast and lunch each day. it didn't have to be with food for me, an empty stomach was okay. it didn't bother my stomach. it worked well for me (i moved onto librax for the anxiety part of my ibs). good luck and keep us posted!!!

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

p.s. new
      #96941 - 08/09/04 06:45 PM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

as for the side effects....the first week or so, i was a little lightheaded when i first would take it, but that passed and the results made it worth it. i always hate reading about the side effects because then i convince myself that i will have them all! ha ha just go with it. you'll be okay.

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6223

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review