All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bentyl/Dicyclomine? Anyone had good results with this drug? new
      #77401 - 06/09/04 05:56 AM
Michael K.

Reged: 06/03/04

The doctor has put me on Bentyl 4 times a day for 1 week at 20 mg and then 2 pills a day (total 8 a day) 20mg for the next 2 weeks for severe bloating with IBS-D. Seems likes the drug is making me more bloated and tired. Any help from someone that has taken this drug? Good results or bad results from this drug? Your responses would be appreciated. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bentyl/Dicyclomine? Anyone had good results with this drug? new
      #77456 - 06/09/04 08:14 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hi Michael,
Try searching the boards for past posts on these medications - I am sure you will find some helpful information. Just go here: web page it will take you right to the search page. Choose all forums, and all posts - no time limits, and just type what you want to look for in the search box. Let me know if that works/helps at all

#77473 - 06/09/04 08:32 AM
PammySue

Reged: 05/12/04
Loc: Southern Indiana

I took it for over one year at four times a day. I helped considerably at first especially with colon spasms. After about a year the effectiveness wore off and I was switched to yet another. You might want to give it a try and see if it works for you.

#77483 - 06/09/04 08:57 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Michael,

I took others besides Bentyl...but Bentyl is my fav. Once you get stable, dispite what your doc says, wean yourself off of them taken everyday..........then take only as needed. That's the way they will work the best for you.

I took them at about the same dose you did, then went down to 10 mg. etc.

Yes, they make you tired.........that's another reason, if you can, you want to reduce the amount you use. The bloating is not a side affect and I suspect is caused by something else. When you do get bloated, get moving.....walking, yoga, whatever. It will work all that gas and air out. Smaller more frequent meals also help the bloating issue.

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Bentyl/Dicyclomine? Anyone had good results with this drug?
      #77519 - 06/09/04 09:55 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
I am taking Bentyl (called Merbentyl in the UK, as it turns out) and I haven't had fasntastic results. Thing is, I got put on 10 mgs 3 times a day, before meals. I had a problem with this because I found that some days, I wasn't eating 3 meals a day so I didn't know when to take it, etc. For the first 2 weeks when I was on it, I did find that it helped with my D. It could be because my body has been reacting badly to another med I was on that I haven't had such good results lately. Now that I have gone off that med, maybe I will start to find more help with the Bentyl. If I do, I'll letcha know.
One another thing, I've had problems with alternative meds making me bloated but not at all with the Bentyl. Is there anything else you are doing that could cause the bloating?
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#77605 - 06/09/04 12:38 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!! It has saved my life!!!! I didn't get stable til I started taking it every day at my doctor's insistence. The side effects will go away in a day or two.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1056 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1574

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review