All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Scared to eat
      #7192 - 04/25/03 06:35 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Bread seems to make me bloated. Oatmeal too. So does sugar (plain table sugar) and honey. Vinegar is pain. Fruit is pain. Plain chicken is ok. Potatoes are ok. Rice with lite soy sauce is a problem. (I'm not sure about plain rice). Are my portions too big...could that be the prob? Typical portions: A big baked potato is one meal. It takes me about 20 mins to eat it. A piece of chicken is a different meal. I'm SO CONFUSED! I def. have IBS...I was tested for celiac, it came back negative. IBS runs in my fam. (my mom also has ulcerative colitis with it...it's in remission tho), celiac does not. My symptoms are: Constipation, bloating, cramping, major gas, sometimes I get small itchy bumps that go away in about an hour, I need gobs of sleep, gurgling noises in my tummy, burping, hiccuping, AWFUL gas if I take a nap in the afternoon 2-3 hours after eating a small snack, I was diagnosed with a hiatul hernia (sp) years ago but the doc. told me it was nothing at the time, (anyone know anything about hernias?)and my newest symptom is FEAR OF FOOD! I'm afraid to eat anything at this point! It seems EVERYTHING and ANYTHING is a trigger PLEASE give me some ideas...help with what to say to my doctor...and encouragement to keep eating and advice on what to eat.

I feel like I come on-line every few days with more complaints lately. I'm just SO SCARED at this point! What's wrong with me? I just want to know how to help myself get well! I know that everyone on this board cares...and I am SO thankful for that! Right now, I feel alone...like I'm the only person with this particular batch of symptoms (I'm guessing we all feel this way at some point)?

I've done research on gallbladder--it doesn't sound like that's the culpirt. I'm confused by the research I've read on celiac...does it sound like I have it? There's a flood of info. I've gone through in the past several months--I can't keep it straight anymore *sigh* My doc. doesn't seem to understand the severity of what I'm going through. He usually works with older patients...I feel like he doesn't know what to make of me! He's put me on robinul forte, an anticolinergic, no results (major side effects), bentyl, dicyclomine, zelnorm...no help from any of this! He put me on MiraLax...that worked ONLY if I took it twice a day. I took myself off of it and went back to citrucel (I've also tried benefiber, fibercon, metamucil, peppermint tea, fennel tea, chamomile, and ginger tea). Citrucel kinda helps with the constipation...only if I take it three times a day...but it causes other symptoms (gas and bloating). The doc. seems to feel medication solves all...I want to work this out through diet and natural stuff as much as possible! (He knows this about me...and we worked out my going back on citrucel).

*Phew* I think this is the first time I've let it all out on the board. I think it took me lots of little posts to just put all this out here. Thanks SO MUCH for bearing with me...

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Scared to eat new
      #7193 - 04/25/03 06:46 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Oh Ruchie! You poor girl, that is awful!

Can I ask how long you have been taking Citrucel, and if you've tried any other fiber supplements? I just ask because when I started taking mine, I had terrible, painful gas and bloating no matter what I ate. You might try charcoal tablets too, I just mentioned them in a post to ConcreteAngel.

Have you tried peppermint and fennel teas? The warmth of the tea and the soothing herbs might relax that digestive tract...

Also, I can't drink large amounts of water right before or after a meal without trouble.

I'm not an expert, I am just trying to think of things that have given me trouble. If you want to try plain white rice, without the soy sauce, there are some nice varieties out there with subtle flavors. I make Risotto myself, and add powdered ginger to the rice as I cook it.

You take care of yourself, I am sure someone will post with better answers than mine!

**hugs**

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Re: Scared to eat H2 new
      #7194 - 04/25/03 06:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

H2,

I've tried benefiber, metamucil, fibercon, and now citrucel for over a month.

I'll see if I can get charcoal tablets today--thanks for the suggestion (they help with gas right)?

Thanks so much for caring! That definately helps!

(((((hugs)))))

Ruchie

P.S. I LOVE tea...and my heating pad! they help...but not enough to make me want to eat right now

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7195 - 04/25/03 07:00 AM
H2

Loc: Ohio

Ruchie,

I found one of the posts about charcoal, its here. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I hope someone else has more insight for you, and I'll just send more caring. Hang in there!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#7196 - 04/25/03 07:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

H2,

THANK YOU so much! *hugs* I'll let you know if I get to buy them how they work out for me.

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7197 - 04/25/03 07:03 AM
Laurie

Loc: Houston, TX

Well I went through a period where even my "safe" foods were triggering me. Are you stressed? Stress can be a major trigger. I belch a lot, especially after being treated for the H.Pylori the second GI found. I am often bloated, but I can't figure out why. My stomach rumbles a lot. My IBS got so bad when the safe foods were triggering that I lost 10 lbs in a week. I started losing my appetite too, which that is a miracle I like to eat. That's when I went back to the doc. Have you spoken to your doc about all your symptoms? Are you eating only until you feel full? I've learned that if I don't eat slow, chew thoroughly, and don't stop at the full feeling I will have a flare up.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Scared to eat Laurie new
      #7200 - 04/25/03 07:07 AM
Snow for Sarala

Laurie,

Thanks SO MUCH for responding! I put a call in to the doc. this morning...I speak to him about once a week these days...so I'll see what he has to say.

What is h.pylori?

Maybe I do eat more than what I need in a sitting? It's hard to say. I'll have to keep a more careful watch on that, thanks!

I haven't been so stressed lately. I haven't had work in the last two weeks because of the Passover holiday...however, my husband and I are planning a big move...which I haven't thought much about. Could be my subconscious is thinking about it tons though! I guess I'll have to give them some thought too.

Thanks for your great suggestions!
*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7203 - 04/25/03 07:39 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

I would dividing up your portions into smaller meals, that way it won't crowd your stomach nor intestines. I've been eating smaller meals throughout the day and have seen an significant change in my habits. I drink a lot of water. I take Fibercon tablets thirty minutes before I eat anything so I have some soluble fiber, that is only when I'm at work.

Re: Scared to eat Laurie new
      #7209 - 04/25/03 08:12 AM
Laurie

Loc: Houston, TX

I hardly ever talk to my doc anymore. It must be nice to have a doc who will talk and listen. I am thinking of switching GI docs for the third time. A friend of mine suggested one at The Women's Hospital, which I liked because he'd be more intune with a female body.

H.Pylori is a bacteria that you can get in your stomach. It eats away at the lining of your stomach causing ulcers. It is now believed to be the major cause of stomach ulcers. My first GI doc only did a colonoscopy and then decided I had IBS. I decided to switch to a new GI, because I didn't like the "You have IBS, nothing else could be wrong" attitude. The second GI did another colonoscopy and the EG where the H.Pylori was found. I had to take these horrible super antibiotics and couple other pills twice a day, but supposedly it's all gone.

I'm high strung so I think that stress for me is always there. Plus I have a lot of anxiety over my IBS. I swore when I was diagnosed I wouldn't let it take over my life, but from time to time I do. Right now I'm on another kick of not letting it get the best of me. I do the subconscious plays a factor in things.

I hope you start feeling better soon.
*hugs back*

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Ruchie new
      #7223 - 04/25/03 09:25 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Ruchie,
I am sooooooooo sorry that you are going through such a terrible time. You are such a great person, and you really dont deserve it! If I were you, Id keep a food journal listing the foods you eat and what specific reacion you get from that particular food. You may have a food allergy you dont know about or some kind of other intolerance. Make sure you keep in touch with your doctor to keep him updated with your symptoms. I kept a food journal for 6 straigt months to single out food triggers. Also, like I said, make sure you keep in touch with your doc. I call my doc about once a week as well to discuss different problems. Like H2 said, try to get tested for Hpylori(sp?) I got tested for that negative. Anway, I pray you get better ((HUGS)) I'll be thinking of you!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1729 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6093

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review