All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Nature Valley Oats and Honey bars-Yes or no?
      #372883 - 06/28/16 05:29 PM
leon92

Reged: 06/28/16

I am wondering if the nature valley oats and honey bars are ok since the primary ingredient is oats, soy, brown sugar, and baking soda? I noticed that on the cheat sheet it said no to granola but I was just confused about this bar since oatmeal was ok I was wondering if oats were ok.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nature Valley Oats and Honey bars-Yes or no? new
      #372885 - 06/29/16 05:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The ingredients sound fine. Check the fat content. Granola is trouble because it's often deep fried, and it can have other ingredients with too much insoluble fiber as well.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Honey is high FODMAP and like HFCS ... new
      #372888 - 07/02/16 05:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

honey contains more of the sugar fructose than the sugar glucose. The excess fructose - a high FODMAP - has been proven to be an IBS trigger for many people

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#372892 - 07/10/16 03:16 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Quote:

The ingredients sound fine. Check the fat content. Granola is trouble because it's often deep fried, and it can have other ingredients with too much insoluble fiber as well.

WOW! Thanks Heather. I didn't know this!
XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#372914 - 08/05/16 05:43 PM
geegee

Reged: 07/30/16

I have eaten these for years with no problem. Here's what I do when trying new bars...or any food for that matter,,,I cut off about 1/4 of the bar and eat it. I then watch for any gas, bloating, or worse!! I give it about 2 days. Then, if no problem, I will eat a little more than 1/4. Then watch and wait another day or two. I know this may seem excessive, especially to people that don't have IBS, but it has saved me many times
from having an all-out attack!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 830 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5730

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review