All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Irritable Bowel Linked To Gut Bacteria, Definitively
      #367531 - 05/30/12 04:34 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Looks like Pimentel may be right after all.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245874.php

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

This is so interesting, new
      #367533 - 05/30/12 11:56 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

but I wish they would address this aspect:

"They found that more than a third of the patients with IBS had SIBO, compared with only 10% of those without IBS. Of patients with diarrhea-predominant form of IBS, 60% had SIBO, compared to just over 27% without the diarrhea form."

It sounds like a subset of people diagnosed with IBS actually have bacterial overgrowth instead, and should be treated for that. They don't address at all the 40-70% of people with IBS in their study who did NOT test positive for bacterial overgrowth.

To me, this just says that there is yet another GI disorder (SIBO) that is being misdiagnosed as IBS. I can't conclude that it means that IBS actually is bacterial overgrowth across the board. The study itself refutes that.

I hope they follow up on this.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Looking at the full paper ... new
      #367536 - 05/30/12 03:00 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

it says "Of the initial 320 subjects, 112 were IBS sufferers; 35 patients (31.2%) had IBS-D; 19 patients (16.9%) had IBSC; and 58 patients (51.8%) had IBS-A."

518 patients were screened and 320 subjects were enrolled if the met the inclusion criteria stated as "Inclusion criteria were: (a) age C18 years, and (b) clinical indication for outpatient upper GI tract endoscopy." There were a variety exclusion criteria including such things as recent antibiotic use, HIV and hypothyroidism. In other words, individuals were not enrolled solely because they had IBS or SIBO. They were enrolled because they were having an endoscopy.

"Before undergoing upper GI tract endoscopy, patients were asked to provide replies to a specific questionnaire trying to disclose the presence of IBS." The ROME II criteria was used to diagnosis enrolled individuals for IBS.

"Of the initial 320 subjects, 112 were IBS sufferers; 35 patients (31.2%) had IBS-D; 19 patients (16.9%) had IBSC; and 58 patients (51.8%) had IBS-A. Reasons for upper GI tract endoscopy among IBS patients were dyspepsia in 75 patients (66.9%), anemia in 24 patients (21.4%) and change of bowel frequency in nine patients (8.0%); the remaining patients had a list of other uncommon complaints."

During the endoscopy fluid samples were taken from 3rd part of the duodenum and cultured. "The most common bacterial species isolated from the duodenal aspirate of the 62 atients with SIBO were Escherichia coli (n = 23; 37.1%), Enterococcus spp (n = 20; 32.3%), Klebsiella pneumoniae (n = 15; 24.2%), Proteus mirabilis (n = 4; 6.5%), Acinetobacter baumannii (n = 3; 4.8%), Citrobacter freundii (n = 3; 4.8%), Serratia marscecens (n = 3; 4.8%), Staphylococcus aureus (n = 2; 2.9%), Pseudomonas putida (n = 2; 2.9%), Pasteurella multocida (n = 2; 2.9%) and Enterobacter aerogenes (n = 1; 1.6%)."

"Among these IBS subjects, 42 (37.5%) met the applied definition for SIBO." So of the 360 enrolled individuals 112 had IBS according to the ROME criteria and 37.5% of these meet the definition of SIBO. And "The frequency of SIBO was much greater among patients with IBS-D. More precisely, 33.8% of patients with SIBO were sufferers of IBS-D compared with 5.4% of patients without SIBO (P\0.0001) (Table 1)."

"Examining the relationship between SIBO and IBS, among the 62 patients with SIBO, 42 had IBS (67.7%). This was greater than the 258 patients without SIBO, whereby only 70 had IBS (27.1%) (Mantel–Haenszel common odds ratio estimate: 5.64; 95% CI 3.09–10.27; P\0.0001)."

This is not "definitive" evidence that bacteria can play a role in IBS. Given no methodological errors it is strong evidence that in a subset of individuals diagnosed with IBS using the ROME II criteria, particularly those with IBS-D, that bacteria likely plays a role.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I'd like to see the people with SIBO screened out new
      #367537 - 05/30/12 03:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

of an IBS diagnosis before they even apply the Rome Criteria. Same as screening out people with celiac, Crohn's, diverticulitis, etc. It sounds like SIBO is just another treatable gut disorder that can masquerade as IBS.

Not sure why they're trying to frame it as if IBS is actually bacterial overgrowth. I look at the study and get a different conclusion.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I'd like to see the people with SIBO screened out new
      #367539 - 05/30/12 05:58 PM
Syl

Your approach assumes that SIBO and IBS are not intertwined. It possible they co-exist and perhaps inseparable or the same at least for some IBS individuals. One of the objectives of the study was to look at the relationship between IBS and SIBO which was stated as "The study also aimed to further investigate the relationship between SIBO and IBS in the context of co-morbid conditions and drug intake (specifically proton pump inhibitor use)."

Unlike celiac's, SIBO, Crohns, etc there isn't a biomarker for IBS giving researchers a reliable way to separate IBS from SIBO if they are separable. At the moment the only way to determine if IBS and SIBO coexist or are independent from each other is by screening using the ROME II criteria and then apply proven statistical methods to the findings like those used in the study. Also, it is difficult and it is expensive to screen for SIBO as they did in the study. And a gold standard test for SIBO has yet to be developed.

It will be interesting to see how the GI community reacts to the study. And it will interesting to see if it has any impact on the FDA approval of Rifaximin.

I cannot wait to see how the relationship between IBS and SIBO is eventually resolved.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Looking at the full paper ... new
      #367540 - 05/31/12 06:55 AM
capricorn1942

Is it possible that the overgrowth is not detected in the third part of the duodenum but would be detected further into the small intestine (closer to the colon) for many participants? Since an endoscopic scope does not enter the small intestine, a collection apparatus carried by a capsule endoscopy would need to be invented and used for this purpose.

Cheers.

--------------------

#367541 - 05/31/12 07:31 AM
Syl

Very good question. I was wonder about that myself.

A previous study that cultured bacteria did aspiration from the jejunum using a catheter. They found only 4% of individuals with IBS had SIBO using concentration levels of more than 10^5 CFU/ml. In the paper you posted information about the authors state that when the concentration level was reduce to 10^3 CFU/ml then the jejunum aspirations showed a level of 43% not 4%. In the new study they used a level of 10^4 CFU/ml. Apparently there is still some debate about what level of bacteria should be used in the determination of SIBO. Also, in the previous study there were some methodological issues one of which was possible dilution of the fluid samples.

They are working on a GI capsule that can collect tissue samples. Perhaps the collection of small intestine fluid using a capsule might be possible too

Say Heather posted a link to the same study in a news release from Cedar Sina in the research library. It seems more balanced than the medical news today report.

--------------------

Re: I'd like to see the people with SIBO screened out new
      #367542 - 05/31/12 09:43 AM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

I guess we can all certainly agree that it's a very difficult thing to sort out all these different GI issues- there does seem to be at least the potential for two or even more of these issues to be present. Those of us with Celiac are often "screened out" of IBS studies, but if a person is strict in adhering to the Celiac diet, their Celiac should be in remission; it would not really be a cause for being screened out of studies for other GI issues. I have followed a very strict gluten free diet for nearly 10 years, but have had terrible IBS symptoms the past 3 years. I do also have SIBO (methane), but truly believe my problems are wrapped up somehow with all these different issues. I responded very well and very quickly to the IBS diet and still must adhere to it if I'm to be stable. BUT, I also still bloat and get pain even after being treated for SIBO.

I guess there is still just much to be learned in the world of IBS and other disorders. At least we can be thankful that we know so much about how to help ourselves feel better and deal with the pain, etc thru the various diets (IBS, Gluten-free, FODMAP...). I'm so grateful for this message board - it's very helpful to be able to get on here and read other people's questions and comments as we all try to work our way through our GI "stuff!"

#367544 - 06/01/12 04:36 AM
capricorn1942

Definitive does appear in the first sentence of Heather's post, just not in the title.

In the Sedars Sinai protocol, if Rifaxamin fails the second step is 2 weeks (or more) of a liquid diet of a medical food called Vivonex. Vivonex is supposed to be digested very early in the first few feet of the small intestine thereby starving the bacterial overgrowth in the lower end of the ileum near the colon. This suggests that the bacterial collection should be taken from the lower end of the ileum near the colon.

Cheers.

--------------------

Re: Looking at the full paper ...
      #367545 - 06/01/12 05:09 AM
Syl

In the paper they acknowledge that ideally the sample should be taken from the proximal small intestine but there are difficulties with this approach. The reasons they give are "(a) the risk of contamination by bacterial flora of the oral cavity and of the upper respiratory tract, (b) anaerobe culture of specimens exposed to an aerobic environment prior processing, (c) interpretation of data [21], (d) access to only the most proximal small intestine, and (e) this method is only of research interest for the study of pathophysiology of patients but is too difficult for everyday clinical practice."

The Vivonex sounds like a rather unpleasant experience. Were you diagnosed with SIBO? If yes, have you tried the Vivonex routine?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14608

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review