All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
bananas cause constipation? new
      #367113 - 03/25/12 03:36 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Should someone with IBS constipation avoid bananas? I love them with peanut butter, and I usually have one every day. But I fear they are contributing to my constipation. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge on this?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bananas cause constipation? new
      #367115 - 03/25/12 04:35 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Bananas have a lot of soluble fiber and if eaten a bit on the green side then they also contain a fair amount of resistant starch which also acts like a soluble fiber. This helps with constipation. However, if you eat too many bananas in a day or if the bananas are too green then they can contribute to constipation.

Bananas are full of other good nutrients like potassium.

It has been a long time since you have posted a message

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367116 - 03/25/12 05:10 PM
Jordy

Hi Syl,
I've feeling better being away from the board. I was so focused on it that it caused me to be more symptomatic.
Thanks for addressing my question, but I'm a little confused by your answer. I should eat greener bananas if I am constipated and I'll be okay? Or I should avoid greener bananas? Or avoid all bananas? Sorry, just a bit confused.

--------------------

#367117 - 03/25/12 05:25 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Avoid green bananas. Eat semi-ripe bananas, that is banans that are yellow with a bit of green.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Can anyone else with IBS-C eat bananas? new
      #367147 - 03/30/12 10:27 AM
Jordy

I don't think it matters for me. I think I'm finding that all bananas, independent of the ripeness, are constipating for me. Darn, I love them with peanut butter on them.

--------------------

Re: Can anyone else with IBS-C eat bananas? new
      #367150 - 03/30/12 02:52 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

I'm IBS-C and always avoided bananas (and rice) for the same reason. Once I read both of Heather's books and went thru a time of "breaking the cycle" I found that bananas are one of my main safe foods! I eat one every day, and almost always have one with me when I'm going to be out for the day in case I feel sick or just need food and can't find anything safe in town. I eat them like you do...with peanut butter...and also love them in mango-banana shakes or sliced into a bowl of safe cold cereal with soy milk.

I wonder if you might find you just don't have your constipation under control enough yet thru the IBS safe-eating rules and PLENTY of soluble fiber? Do you use the acacia fiber daily (and at a high enough dose)? It took me quite a long time to work up to a dose that worked well for me. You have to follow Heather's advice on working up to it or you'll get really bloated. I took Miralax for several months because that's what the GI said to use, but it's really too harsh on my IBS and just added to spasms for me. Citrucel works well for me, but not for some. I'm actually happiest now that I dropped it, too, and just went completely to acacia.

Believe it or not, I really can tell that the bananas HELP my constipation because of their sol fiber- it really all makes sense when you understand how it all works (Thanks again, Heather!). I'm probably more regular right now than I have been my whole life (tho not completely "normal" ) I just can't let up for even a day on the sol. fiber supplements or I quickly get constipated again. I have to stay on top of it all the time, but it DOES work when I do.

Good luck to you! We all know how frustrating this whole crazy thing can be!
KellyJean

Re: Can anyone else with IBS-C eat bananas?
      #367166 - 03/31/12 05:51 PM
Jhana

Reged: 03/19/12
Loc: PA, USA

If it is IBS-D that I suffer from eating 1 banana every morning with gingerroot tea and 1 Fiberchoice fiber supplement pill has helped me tremendously!!!! I'm not or never was a fan of banana's but they are helping me so 1 a day will not kill me...in fact they help me!

Re: nut butters new
      #367170 - 04/01/12 06:48 PM
keywest1

Reged: 05/11/11

Hi! I have been doing well with the diet, book, etc. - so thanks to Heather & all of you that ask great (and relevant) questions!

My question is: is nut butter (almond, cashew, etc.) permitted? I noticed a recipe for roll-ups with peanut butter, but I cannot eat peanuts. The almond or cashew butter I have in mind is high-quality, roasted/salted and minimally processed, and smooth (not chunky).

And, if these butters ARE permissible, should they be eaten with the same rule (soluble fiber eaten beforehand) or can I eat it on brown rice crackers or rice cakes or on a banana?

Thanks so much!

Re: Can anyone else with IBS-C eat bananas? new
      #367189 - 04/03/12 11:59 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I'd have thought that semi-ripe bananas can only cause you problems if you are sensitive to fructans. If that is the case then bread is an even worse offender?

Bananas really should be fine, puzzled a bit. Perhaps it's the peanut butter not the banana? Peanut butter is extremely high in fat and fat can definitely cause IBS trouble.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 807 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8128

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review