All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New w/IBS-D; need recs for probiotics
      #367114 - 03/25/12 04:02 PM
healthyone

Reged: 03/02/12

Looking for specific brand names of helpful probiotics, either liquid or capsules/tablets. I live in the U.S., so looking for a brand that's easily found at Whole Foods or other health-food type stores. Would be great if I can get the same brand from at least 3 other IBS-D's so it will seem worth a try. I've always been skeptical of vitamin and other supps since so many studies show they're not absorbed by the body and just excreted in the urine. Thank you for your input in advance and saving me time/money! Working hard at stabilizing my d. and going through the various exclusionary tests with my new doc so I can get a firm diagnosis.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New w/IBS-D; need recs for probiotics new
      #367118 - 03/26/12 05:04 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Relatively few probiotics have been shown in clinical trials to be effective for managing IBS symptoms. Those that have been shown to be effective do not necessarily work for everyone. Some of the probiotics that have been clinical tested are VSL#3, Align, GanedenBC and Florastor.

Unfortunately there are no guarantees that any of them will work. It seems to depend on the individual. Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: New w/IBS-D; need recs for probiotics new
      #367145 - 03/29/12 04:36 AM
healthyone

Reged: 03/02/12

Thank you for replying. I continue to experiment to see what helps the most in managing my symptoms.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 582 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1393

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review