All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics
      #366311 - 10/26/11 10:41 AM
JKP

Reged: 10/25/11
Loc: North Carolina

I talked to a lady at my exercise class and she has IBS and has had problems like I have with diarrhea. She started taking Digestive Advantage Intensive Bowel Support and it has totaly helped her. Has anyone tired this???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics new
      #366312 - 10/26/11 12:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Digestive Advantage containing Bacillus coagulans is one of the few probiotics that has been clinically tested on a small number of IBS patients. The study showed that there was some improvements in abdominal pain and bloating. Other clinically tested probiotics you might consider are VSL#3 and Align

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366314 - 10/26/11 02:06 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

let me start this by saying i am not what you would call stable, however i have been on align now for 5 months and went from ibs a predominitly c ( sometimes i would go maybe once a week and it was painfully horrible) to now going every day, I'm still experiencing pain and some constipation, but I now have something happen every day and I have made no dietary or life changes other then adding align i definilty recomend it! now i just need to work on adding more foods to my diet to get myself the rest of the way towards normal

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#366315 - 10/26/11 02:33 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, it did work very well for awhile, especially for bloating. But, then it stopped working so I stopped taking it. I also tried Phillip's Colon Health, which worked for awhile also. Align was useless and very expensive. I don't take anything now.

#366348 - 11/02/11 06:11 AM
gizmo

Reged: 07/28/10

I did try this once when I first started with IBS. My husband heard about it on the radio. I asked my GI doc about it before I started taking it. He told me that it wouldn't hurt to try it that he has heard from other patients of his that it works great and others it did not. He doesn't recommend it because it hasn't been proven that it really works but he told me it wouldn't hurt me to try it. I tried it and for me it did not work. I've been using Heather's acacia fiber and for me that does the trick and I've been stable for quite a long time now.

#366685 - 01/17/12 04:10 AM
Timothy

Reged: 08/12/11

Hey Syl,

Thanks for mentioning VSL#3. I've been on it for a week and my IBS is about gone! I've had IBS for about 2 years with horrible constipation, gas and bloating. I highly recommend anyone with IBS to try it if other probiotics don't work. Each capsule is 225 billion live bacteria and I take two a day. I even have my appetite back too. Thanks for suggesting this Syl.

#366686 - 01/17/12 05:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Glad to hear it works so well for you. Some people don't find it particularly effective while others find the results impressive. Similar some people find the probiotics in Align to be effective yet others don't get any benefits. Probiotics are still a mystery as to which one if any will help a given individuals.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366705 - 01/18/12 01:11 PM
ClintS

Reged: 01/18/12
Loc: South Carolina

Dizzy, I am glad Align has worked for you. It did absolutely nothing for me. I am going to try the VSL#3 as mentioned in other postings. I am a male on Amitiza 8 mcg which works with a "whooshing" effect after a few hours, so I have to be careful in using it, meaning that I must know what my schedule is in order to take it. This is my first post, so pardon any mistakes I make. I am IBS-C and have had a regular colectomy and a sigmoid colectomy due to diverticulitis. Thank goodness I found this site.

--------------------
Clint Stevens
IBS-C; 2 colectomies from diverticulitis; Barrett's esophagitis/GERD

#366822 - 02/06/12 02:45 PM
gassymichael

Reged: 11/08/08

My VSL-3 arrives tomorrow, hoping it is as good as they say, I am just getting over C-Diff and also now got bad IBS from the antibiotics and also inflammed bowels from I guess the C-Diff.

I also have heathers fibre on the way and been taking the pepermint capsules for a week.

still got on off B-Movements and mucus

caseinate in Align new
      #366852 - 02/11/12 09:35 AM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Just wanted to mention this in case anyone is taking Align and having problems with it. It does contain milk protein (caseinate). I don't do well at all if I have anything with this milk protein in it- lots of bloating and discomfort. I guess I'm not able to break it down well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6185

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review