All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
does anyone get this
      #365702 - 07/29/11 03:52 PM
bclark

Reged: 07/29/11
Loc: New England

does anyone experience d and c at the same time? weird huh? but I do. any advice on diet?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: does anyone get this new
      #365712 - 08/01/11 11:59 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

ha! as a layman I used to think that if you need to go to the loo and can't then you have C. Syl constantly reminds me that this is not necessarily the case, he always says that it's the frequency that matters, if you have more than 3 BMs per day, you have D, if you have less than 1BM per 3days it's C. (correct me there if I got any of those numbers wrong).

now I have this v strange thing going on that if I eat too much IF I have D, more than 3 times per day, but not necessarily real urgency, just increased frequency and smaller amounts each time than if I went say only in the morning and evening. unless I have major amounts of IF on its own(like 6 slices of wholemeal bread at once) I don't have spasms or anything just the D.

that was D, BUT if I have too much fat my bowels feel as though they seize up and nothing is moving anymore and I need to go desperately but I can't. I also have then terrible recurring pain. and I need to strain. classic C symptoms I'd have thought, at least that's what it feels like. it feels as though it all needed oiling as it was too rusty to move, my digestive tract seems to be in one huge spasm. but usually v tiny, hard amounts do leave me (type 1 or 2 on here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Stool_Scale) so I never go for 3 days without that, so technically speaking I do not have C. you can see how forthcoming I am, and I'll also say that I wish I had D all the time. v rarely do I have D where I need to rush to the bathroom, D is annoying and I know it's not good to have D but it's not as bad as the symptoms I get from too much fat.

not sure how your symptoms are, but my tips would be and what I've found is that the best way to get rid of my fat induced symptoms is to have lots of fibre, but SF-IF same amount of course. same goes for D, except that is more quickly and easily remedied than fat induced spasmodic C-like nastiness, which usually takes at least 3 or 4 days for me to calm it down.

another thing that works for my C-like symptoms is a.peppermint tea, b.symptomatic cure hypnosis that I do for myself , only 5 mins. I have the proper IBS CDs too, but I have tired of them now (they have not helped (yet- perhaps will start again at some point))but the sessions are really long too and when I need pain relief as the sessions give general advice that helps nothing. (it's a programme after all) but I use what I learnt there (like specific imagery) and that can ease (if not take away) the pain and the C-like symptoms fairly rapidly. hypnosis has not been so successful for my D and treating the effects of too much IF.

if things are really unbearable with the C and spasms, I turn to Buscopan: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004804.html
does help but it's medication and you of course can't live off medicine and knowing myself to be quite weak I try not to have that back-up option in my mind as then I shall just eat too much fat. (I have trouble resisting delicious food when my mother or my boyfriend cooks say chicken as they use normal amounts of oil and overall kcal is always more than 25%)should exercise self-restraint all the time and accept that I can't just eat what normal people eat. loads of conditions are worse than IBS, so always trying to keep that in mind. (while trying to cope with my mother having issues of why I have to suffer from this condition. her feeling sorry and frustrated for me is actually causing her slight mental problems and guilt issues! this is not making me v happy to say the least. isn't this all great..)

oh ok, really detailed post and too much info perhaps , sorry, but hope that some of those things may help you.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#365714 - 08/01/11 03:22 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Have you ever been tested for pelvic floor dysfunction? That can cause constipated diarrhea.

#365721 - 08/02/11 08:03 AM
luckiest1

Reged: 10/22/10
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Not too detailed, very helpful, thanks! Very, very similar to my symptoms, it's good to know I'm not the only one.

--------------------
IBS-C

#366211 - 10/05/11 06:39 PM
bclark

thank you susie for all the info

#366212 - 10/05/11 06:40 PM
bclark

hi yes i have. it is very annoying to be c but have d along with it.

#368511 - 11/13/12 02:47 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I have this everyday. I don't quite understand it either. I hate it. I go to the bathroom multiple times a day, but the stool is never formed....but never complete either. I assumed I was a C...but it's in the "form" of D.....watery small amounts. It's so frustrating. i never feel empty. Is there a way to have regular formed bowel movements that are complete and don't leave me feeling like I have to go again as soon as I'm done going?

bclark new
      #368512 - 11/13/12 03:10 PM
Cyndy

Did you ever rectify this problem? I tried to email you about this but the email in your profile may be too old?

Re: bclark new
      #368513 - 11/13/12 04:01 PM
bclark

Yeah, I don't have that email any longer. What I have come to understand is that the bit of D I get is really C. I am so impacted that the only thing that can get through is liquid. I am trying the acacia now for the severe C, so time will tell I guess. Until then I just deal with it. UGH!

yep, that's exactly what I have new
      #368515 - 11/13/12 04:09 PM
Cyndy

I hope the Acacia works for you. Keep us updated!

Re: yep, that's exactly what I have new
      #368516 - 11/13/12 04:40 PM
bclark

Thank you for your concern Cyndy. I guess we are all in this together.

I HURT,,,,can anyone help? new
      #368517 - 11/14/12 07:09 AM
Cyndy

Is there any other way to rectify this problem without using an SFS? I hurt so badly...full of stool, but only getting water and a small amount of stool out.

Re: I HURT,,,,can anyone help? new
      #368518 - 11/14/12 07:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It would be helpful if you could list the foods and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It will give us clues for suggestions to decrease you symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#368519 - 11/14/12 09:00 AM
Cyndy

Nothing different than usual. For breakfast: cream of rice with cooked strawberries or Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty cereal with cooked papaya...Lunch: Sometimes nothing other days gluten free brown rice tortilla with boars head turkey and some jarred cooked red peppers with a smidge of lettuce, Snack: My gluten free granola bars that Heather said were safe. Dinner: low fat tuna, baked potato with skin, spinach and rice cheese or dairy free/gluten free lasagna or chicken with brown rice and green beans. Snack: gluten free cinammon raisin toast with some peanut butter. Lots of herbal tea, maybe a piece of gum, That's about it. I take mirilax and magnesium. All that comes out is water with a little loose stool. I feel like I have to "go" all the time, incomplete bms, full of stool, never a formed stool. I'm really hurting. Feeling desperate and unsafe.

#368520 - 11/14/12 10:01 AM
Syl

You might try and reduce the amount of insoluble fiber you have in your diet. At the moment there appears to be a fairly high amount of insoluble fiber in your diet. This can definitely cause bowel spasms and pain.

For example Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty contains brown rice and corn. It contains 4 grams of fiber mostly insoluble per 42 gram serving or nearly 10% fiber by weight. Perhaps you might try rice cereal or gluten free oatmeal.

Try white rice tortillas instead of brown rice tortillas. And you might replace the brown rice for supper with use white rice or perhaps 1/2 and 1/2.

You might try Heather's Break the Cycle for a few days until things settle down.

I may have asked this before. Have you been diagnosed with Celiac disease?

Good luck

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#368521 - 11/14/12 10:14 AM
Cyndy

thank you so much for your reply, Syl. I am in such desperate need of help. Um, I eat the bob's mighty tasty cereal with papaya (sf) so isn't that okay? Yesterday I had the rice cereal and today is the day I am hurting? They don't make (or I can't find) white rice tortillas. What about corn tortillas? Is that better? Honestly, I can't find white rice tortillas. I eat frozen foods, and they are made with brown rice...thus the brown rice.

Since I am full of stool, as verified by a ct scan, don't I need IF? Isn't the brown rice one of the safest whole grains we can eat?

i do not have celiac...I do have gluten antibodies in my bloodwork.

What about the lettuce and roasted red peppers on my sandwhich? I think all the hot rice cereals they have in the gluten free stores is made of brown rice too. Is that not safe either? I don't know what I would eat for breakfast if not.

Also, the gluten free granola bars have about 3 grams fiber, not sure if it is soluble or insoluble, but again, Heather thought they were okay. Not sure if she knew I was eating them alone.

Thanks for your help. My GI doc is out of the office all day and he won't answer my page.

Can yu give me a sample diet of what yu might eat? My breakfast is probably already ruined and all I have in the house is brown rice tortillas. I don't know. I don't think straight when I am in such pain.

#368522 - 11/14/12 11:37 AM
Syl

The colon is normally full of stool. As some leaves the body the new foods you ate fills it up. Did you doctor say a full colon was a problem?

While IF can resolve C for normal individuals it well known that it can also exacerbate IBS symptoms in IBS-C and IBS-D individuals.

While brown rice may be one of the safest it doesn't mean it safe for you. It is something you will have to experiment with. The best thing to do is back off eating so much IF and until you symptoms settle down and then slowly increase IF.

The amount of SF in a serving papaya is not enough to offset the high amount of IF Bob's in cereal. It is important remember that the symptoms you are experience today could have be caused by something you ate 24-48 hours earlier especially if you are predominately C.

Since you do not have celiac disease did your doctor tell you to eat gluten free or is that something you decided to try for yourself? Did you GI doc ever recommend that you have a endoscopy to confirm whether or not you have celiac disease? It is the gold standard test for the disease.

If your doctor did not tell you to eat gluten free then you breakfast choices increase signficantly. For example, oatmeal with banana and payaya with a sprinkle of brown sugar would be nice. Remember regular oatmeal contains equal amounts of insoluble and soluble fiber so if you add banana and papaya you are definitely having more soluble than insoluble fiber.

As for the lettuce and red peppers in sandwiches it would be a big problem for me. Red peppers I can eat if they are roasted and the skins are removed. If they are raw and/or the skin is not removed to reduce the insoluble fiber content then it would give me big problems.

It might really be helpful if you could confirm with your GI doctor that there is any reason to eat gluten free. If there isn't a reason then you alternatives increase dramatically and there are many safe foods you can eat.

--------------------

#368523 - 11/14/12 12:03 PM
Cyndy

The CT scan showed an abnormal amount of stool in me...a problem. Do you think my brown rice creamy hot cereal might be a problem too? That's all I see.

I had an endoscopy which came back normal. All three of my antibody tests were positive for gluten antibodies. It was suggested by my GI to eat gluten free. Another gi told me to eat whatever I wanted. My current gi I have only seen once and he hasn't addressed the issue yet...so I don't know if GF is required or not. I'm confused and hurting. Don't positive antibodies suggest a gf diet is required?

Oh, the red peppers are canned, so I assume they are peeled and cooked.

Can you post what you eat on a daily basis? I know you have probably done this before, but I can't find it in a search.

These are my afternoon snack http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=368225&Forum=All_Forums&Words=granola&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=368225&Search=true#Post368225

#368524 - 11/14/12 12:29 PM
Syl

If the colonoscopy biopsy was negative then generally speaking even though the antibodies are positive there is no celiac disease.

Yes - too much IF can cause constipation.

While the canned pepper are cooked there is no guarantee that the skins have been removed. You should be able to easily remove the skins if they exist.

My meals are simple and very very low in IF.

Breakfast - regular oatmeal with banana, sprinkle of brown sugar and three tablespoons of berry juice that I prepare myself from frozen berries using a juicer.

Lunch - a curry made of 6 peeled shrimp, 1/4 chicken breast, peel zucchinin, cooked peeled carrots, tomato paste, chicken stock and a small amount of curry powder for flavour served over white basmati rice.

Supper - varies but it is usually chicken, turkey, fish, or seafood with white rice, mashed potatoes, low fat oven fries or coucous and a serving of peeled boiled carrots and/or peel lightly fried zucchini.

I eat very simple, low IF and I follow the FODMAP diet too which dramatically improved my symptoms.

--------------------

#368525 - 11/14/12 12:35 PM
Cyndy

I know I don't have celiac disease, but don't people with positive gluten antibodies need to eat gf? I'm really confused on that one.

thank you for sharing your diet. I don't think it has enough IF overall for me. And not enough variety. I didn't think tomato paste was safe? Yu don't eat any type of bread either? or snacks? You must be IBS-D, right?

#368526 - 11/14/12 12:45 PM
Syl

Only individuals with celiac disease need to each gluten free. The blood test for antibodies can produce false positive results that is why it is not as reliable. If it is positive an endoscopy with a biopsy is used to decide whether or not you have celiac disease.

I make and eat my own sourdough bread. I eat matzo which is a large cracker with peanut butter and homemade jelly.

Variety is definitely a problem. However, I prefer less variety and less pain, etc

You might seriously consider reducing your IF consumption to see if it makes a difference. If you look at the information on Heather's breaking the cycle you will see it contains very very little IF. If might be worth while giving it a try for a few days to see if things improve.

Tomato paste is safe unless you have acid reflux and then it can be a problem.

There is a lot of confusion about the definition of C and D.
- C is anyone who has 3 or fewer bowel movements a week.
- D is anyone who has 3 or more bowel movements a day.

I am psuedo-D which means that unless I have my diet under control I have many small bowel movements a day some mushy some hard pellets along with the sensation on incomplete evacuation.

--------------------

#368527 - 11/14/12 12:50 PM
Cyndy

just one more thing. I had the tests done like 4 times, so I don't think I could have gotten false positives 4 times. i'm so confused. I know I don't have celiacc for sure. Just not sure positive antibodies require a gf diet. Maybe this is not something you can answer.

#368528 - 11/14/12 12:52 PM
Cyndy

Oh my, I have pseudo-D. All this time I thought I was C because my ct scan showed I am full of poop.

#368529 - 11/14/12 12:59 PM
Syl

The biopsy from the colonscopy is the ONLY sure way to diagnosis celiac disease. False positive can be a result of other issues including the composition of your blood. You can read more about it in this USCD article. In any case you should have a thorough talk with your new GI doctor.

--------------------

#368530 - 11/14/12 01:02 PM
Syl

It is a common mistake I see being made over and over again on this board. IBS is labeled as C, D or mixed predominance. It is recognized that IBS is a problem with GI motility. C & D are not particularly useful labels. The objective is to reduce bowel spasms to that you experience neither C or D The sensation of incomplete evacuation is not indicative of C.

--------------------

#368531 - 11/14/12 01:02 PM
Cyndy

All my Gi doctors have been idiots with no answers or desire to help. I read the article but didn't see anything that applied to my situation.

Can I ask you a personal question? What would you do if you tested positive for gluten antibodies 4 times? Would you still eat gluten? You're a smart person and I value your opinion very much. Many thanks, Syl. Thank you for trying so hard to help me. It's more than many people have done for me. God bless

#368532 - 11/14/12 01:05 PM
Syl

I won't eat gluten free unless I had a endoscopy biopsy that showed I definitely have a problem in the GI lining. As far as I know it is the gold standard proof of the disease.

--------------------

#368533 - 11/14/12 01:10 PM
Cyndy

so you treat pseudo D the same as you treat C or D? We know C need more IF...what do pseudo D need?

#368534 - 11/14/12 01:12 PM
Cyndy

thank you for your opinion. I didn't find anything in the article that applied to my situation.

syl, you don't snack?-nt new
      #368535 - 11/14/12 01:23 PM
Cyndy

#368536 - 11/14/12 01:41 PM
Syl

Yes - treat psuedo-D like D. And NO we don't know that those with IBS-C need more IF.

We know that normal individuals with C usually need more IF. IF is a bulking agent that increases the amount of water in the stool reducing stool density making it easier to pass.

We know that individuals with IBS-C may have their symptoms worsen and in fact become more C with increased IF. As well as absorbing water IF is a GI stimulant. The stimulation may be sufficient to produce bowel spasms. Instead of the bowel moving in a rythmic systematic manner it moves in a chaotic spasmotic manner ... increasing C. Sort of like having a charlie horse where the muscle knots up.

Problems with IF (bran) was first reported in 1994 and it has been confirmed in amny subsequent clinical trials. Only in recent years has been it widely recognized that traditional advice to increase IF may have been make IBS symptoms worse. Even so it is taking a long time for this knowledge to be adopted by many doctors.

--------------------

Re: syl, you don't snack?-nt new
      #368537 - 11/14/12 01:43 PM
Syl

I do snack on pretzel and low fat potato chips from time to time. Unfortunately I suck too many peppermint candies

--------------------

#368538 - 11/14/12 01:44 PM
Syl

I am curious what does not apply. Are you saying you don't have the symptoms described? Or they are wrong about the test?

--------------------

#368539 - 11/14/12 01:47 PM
Cyndy

But doesn't Heather say that IF is more important and very necessary for people with C and that those with C must get as much IF as possible? Most posts, over the years, say this as well.

#368540 - 11/14/12 01:49 PM
Cyndy

I just didn't see anything that talked about people who have positive antibody tests and not celiac. Only people who have negative tests.?? I'll read it again.

#368541 - 11/14/12 01:51 PM
Syl

Indeed she does. The key phrase is as much IF as possible. She goes on to explain in detail how to find a base level and slowly slowly increase IF as much as possible.

This does not mean that you will be able to eat as much IF as a normal person. You have to find your own limit. Have you experimented to find your limit? Is it possible that you are eating too much IF and need to drop back and start over again?

--------------------

#368542 - 11/14/12 01:53 PM
Cyndy

No I haven't experimented. I just try to eat a SF base and then one or two IF items. But then again, I have been using brown rice products as my SF base. And maybe my granola bars that I eat alone with snacks are SF. I have no clue.

where did you find how to find your IF level?-nt new
      #368543 - 11/14/12 01:54 PM
Cyndy

Re: where did you find how to find your IF level?-nt new
      #368544 - 11/14/12 01:55 PM
Cyndy

this is getting long. I should start a new thread.

#368545 - 11/14/12 01:55 PM
Syl

Oh - I see. The important point is that irrespective if the test is a false negative or false positive it says "If the blood test suggests celiac disease, you should next see a gastroenterologist for an evaluation and possibly biopsy of the lining of the small intestine, which is required to establish a diagnosis of celiac disease."

A blood test is not a firm diagnosis of celiac it is an indicator. A firm diagnosis can only be done using a biopsy.

--------------------

yes, I understand this new
      #368547 - 11/14/12 01:58 PM
Cyndy

But there is also a difference between celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. Just like a milk allergy and milk intolerance. Both of those need to avoid milk. Don't both of the former situation have to avoid gluten?

Re: where did you find how to find your IF level?-nt new
      #368548 - 11/14/12 02:00 PM
Syl

No need for a new thread. Let's finish this discussion and move on to something new.

I followed Heather's advice and I dramatically reduced IF consumption and dramatically increased SF consumption. As things go more stable which took a considerable amount of time I tried introducing small amounts and different types IF. When my symptoms got worse I started over again. It took a couple of years to figure out my limits. It was a slow process but well worth the effort.

--------------------

brown rice? new
      #368549 - 11/14/12 02:01 PM
Cyndy

Cannot be used as an SF base? I think I need to stop posting. I'm getting more and more confused.

Re: yes, I understand this new
      #368550 - 11/14/12 02:03 PM
Syl

A positive antibody test is not a positive indicator of gluten sensitivity.

The only known test for gluten sensitivity is the removal and then re-introduction of gluten into the diet watching for changes in symptoms. There is a lot of controversy over the notion of gluten sensitivity.

--------------------

Perhaps you might ..... new
      #368551 - 11/14/12 02:06 PM
Syl

re-read Heather's books and the web site slowly and pay close attention to the details about IF and how to incorporate it into to your diet.

--------------------

good advice new
      #368552 - 11/14/12 02:10 PM
Cyndy

I just thought after all these years of posting and reading, I had it down. Maybe I don't? Even in H's cookbook she has a recipe for brown rice...so thought it could be used as a fiber base.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2360 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review