All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: for susie 1985 new
      #365466 - 07/09/11 01:41 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

vegetables you can just boil btw and they are v healthy. not much cooking going on there! also not many calories, admittedly.

did either of you try drinking more orange juice btw? unless you have acid reflux, it should be problem-free, healthy and IBS-friendly.

or berry juice?

again chocolate soy or almond milk is a good idea, unless there's a lot of fat in there. but rice milk is no-fat and hence as we'd discussed, add cocoa powder to make it chocolate-y?

if you can tolerate ground nuts, would be great, they are v high in fat, but see the recipe I posted on the other, recipes board about the banana-nut butter, v easy to make, will keep in the fridge for at least a week and can use it as a spread on toast for instance. it's delicious and v healthy and relatively high in calories and good fat-protein-carb balance. (I find it difficult to stop eating it!)

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: for susie 1985
      #365467 - 07/09/11 01:09 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Whoops, posting to wrong thread.

It depends on the vegetable and purpose new
      #365468 - 07/09/11 01:27 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Have a look at the Harvard Medical School article Microwave cooking and nutrition

"...this is nutrition, and nothing in nutrition is simple. Italian researchers published results in 2008 of an experiment comparing three cooking methods — boiling, steaming, and frying — and the effect they had on the nutritional content of broccoli, carrots, and zucchini. Boiling carrots actually increased their carotenoid content, while steaming and frying reduced it".

No matter which you choose reserve the water and use it for sauces and other things since it contains water soluble B vitamins and other useful nutrients

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365469 - 07/09/11 02:34 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Darn, did the same thing again.

#365473 - 07/09/11 09:22 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

i do eat veggies but not as much as i should b/c of FM and IF issues, but no those are not going to help with weight gain...but i didn't realize rice milk didn't have fat..so i might give that a try and drink it maybe at nite after dinner..i was afraid to drink it on an empty stomach though..i think cocoa powder might be good in it!!..i did try oj but i felt alittle like the acid was giving me issues..not with reflux i don't seem to have that problem (knock on wood) but just felt as though it made me dehydrated feeling??..that probably doesn't even make sense..don't know how to explain what it felt like to me though..thanks for all the help!..oh so the banana nut butter sounds very good..it must be eaten sparingly though right?..b/c of the IF in the nuts?..

#365474 - 07/09/11 09:36 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

i'm going to try the milk, both the choc almond and plain rice and get some cocoa powder...as a matter of fact i'm fixin to go get me a glass of rice milk right now!!.thanks so much!

#365476 - 07/09/11 11:20 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

I just recently rediscovered OJ, without pulp, and have been drinking the stuff nonstop. I originally thought I could not drink it, but recently I have felt decent while drinking it. I sometimes get a light headache and some heartburn, but it's certainly tolerable and I love OJ!

What type of berry juice do you drink? I try hard to get more fruits and vegetables in, but the FM seems to make it tough

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

#365477 - 07/09/11 11:27 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

Quote:

i do eat veggies but not as much as i should b/c of FM and IF issues, but no those are not going to help with weight gain...but i didn't realize rice milk didn't have fat..so i might give that a try and drink it maybe at nite after dinner..i was afraid to drink it on an empty stomach though..i think cocoa powder might be good in it!!..i did try oj but i felt alittle like the acid was giving me issues..not with reflux i don't seem to have that problem (knock on wood) but just felt as though it made me dehydrated feeling??..that probably doesn't even make sense..don't know how to explain what it felt like to me though..thanks for all the help!..oh so the banana nut butter sounds very good..it must be eaten sparingly though right?..b/c of the IF in the nuts?..

I might know what you mean about the dehydration issues. I tend to notice that I get "tired" around my eyes first, and then it starts to spread to my entire body sort of like I am dehydrated, although I am not. I then will get a little tired shortly afterwards. I haven't pinpointed what causes this, but it happens frequently.

I always wonder if I am starting to overanalyze everything. I never had even gone to a doctor in my entire life for any issues up until the last year and a half. However, I believe I've made a ton of progress. At first I thought things might be caused by stress, but food is definitely a huge problem for me. I'm currently going through more stress than I have in a very long time, but I feel 10x better than I did just a year ago with changes made by recommendations on this board.

Now, if I could just figure out this weight issue. If I eat food I feel good with, I seem to gain a lot more weight than food that I do not feel good with. With a year and a half worth of records, there is definitely something going on. I guess it just means I should stick with good food.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

juice new
      #365478 - 07/10/11 01:06 AM
Susie1985

pulp is all IF, so have to be careful with fruit juices!
I drink pulp free OJ
and in Britain we have this:
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Longlife_Fruit_Juice/Pomegreat_Pomegranate_And_Blueberry_Juice_Drink_1L.html

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Longlife_Fruit_Juice/Pomegreat_Pomegranate_Juice_Drink_1L.html

fantastic. in America as far as I saw all berry juices are with apple, so I couldn't drink that

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#365479 - 07/10/11 01:17 AM
Susie1985

some rice milk does have fat, check the ingredients!
non-flavoured one in Britain does not have oil in it!

some people are more sensitive to IF, others to fat, others may be different yet again. think we have to experiment and be patient in that process.

I used to think that I can't do IF v well, but it turns out that unless it's a whole grain, like wheat bran, which I do not have at all, it's OK. I am actually fine with a lot of IF from cooked veggies, non-fructose raw fruits and nuts and a lot of IF at once, provided I have it with enough SF, ie maybe even an SFS, for which I use Benefiber-UK (no inulin) is fine.

I make the banana nut butter with semi-ripe bananas, no brown spots and greenish yellowish in colour, they have a lot of resistant starch which acts as SF! so for me it is balanced out. more problematic is the fat, but it's all calculated and maths tells me that around 1tablespoonful of ground nuts (max 30kcal from fat) and a medium-sized semi ripe banana (100kcal from non-fat) work well together and are safe from both a fat point of view (calories less than 25 per cent coming from fat) and IF is balanced out by the SF-like stuff in bananas.

Please note that some sufferers may have to limit the overall IF intake as well and even with a lot of SF cannot have huge amounts of IF. I suggest you experiment! (but only with one thing at a time, remember there may a delay in a food's effect)

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24815

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review