Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Glucose new
      #365150 - 06/15/11 01:57 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

Thank you for the information!!
But now I'm really confused..?!

The nausea I get from corn starch, sucrose etc feels like my small intestine is working too quickly (gastrocolic reflex?). I feel movements, pulsation, a circling feeling in my intestines.

I've always thought (felt) the problem isn't my colon, but my small intestine.
Although the final reaction is my colon to slow down..(?)

I'm really confused what this info means to me. How is it possible I can tolorate potato&wheat starch, but no corn?

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#365151 - 06/15/11 03:07 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is possible that you have an food sensitivity to corn. Perhaps during the preparation of the corn starch a small amount of corn protein remains which triggers symptoms. Corn starch is on the list of know food intolerances

Have you seen an allergy doctor?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365154 - 06/15/11 04:27 PM
Islandsguy123

Reged: 03/02/11
Loc: Savannah,GA

Has anyone tried dextrose as a sweetener instead of table sugar? I saw this available and may try it if I find that fructose is my problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-6925-Dextrose-Powder/dp/B000T3HX3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308180275&sr=8-1

#365155 - 06/15/11 05:20 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I use it from time to time. It isn't as sweet as white/brown sugar. It is sold as corn sugar at health food stores.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: fructose malabsorption question new
      #365156 - 06/15/11 08:17 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Yea that sounds like me too. I can eat some banana and veggies I can do potatoes usually.
I would look in to the bacterial overgrowth and really try to cut down on sugar. Thats what I am trying to do, it's so hard for me though. I love sugar. DO you crave sugar often?

#365158 - 06/16/11 03:09 AM
mavera

Which veggies can you eat?

I eat no (table)sugar at all, because of the symptoms. I've been cutting out table sugar for almost a year now, fructose for the last few months, since I found out the FODMAP diet works. I only use rice syrup and banana as sweets actually at the moment.

I don't really have sugar cravings anymore. I've always been a sugar junkie and I really hate that I can never eat things like (normal) cookies or ice cream. I hate that I can't eat out and just order what I want, have an ice cream or pancake with my daughter.. Or eat things like lasagna or pizza, perhaps I miss those things even more. It really frustrates me.

But even on special occasions, it's 'easy' for me not to eat the good things. The good taste for a few minutes doesn't outweigh the 3 days of misery I'll have afterwards
But that doesn't mean I'm ok with it, it's very hard for me to accept it. But I guess everybody here feels that way.

I think the sugar craving will subside when you really stop eating it. It's an addiction.
But I use a lot of rice syrup now I'm really scared I can't even tolorate that in the future...

--------------------
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#365159 - 06/16/11 03:31 AM
mavera

Hmm, yeah that could be..
But I developed all my symptoms at once after a stomac flu. It's all so hard to believe this all came at once!

I haven't been to an allergy doctor. I have had bioresonance testing. He only found sugar and honey to be issues for me.
Regular docs don't really want to/can help me. They say don't know what to do anymore.. (just live with it!!! )

--------------------

#365160 - 06/16/11 03:39 AM
mavera

I've tried dextrose once as sugar replacer in home made waffles. I got the same reaction as I have with fructose (?)

But I eat small amounts of it in processed food (white bread and chicken-filet). That doesn't bother me.

(The dextrose I have is called 100% 'grape-sugar' in the ingredients, I see now?? So perhaps it contains fructose!?)

--------------------

#365162 - 06/16/11 04:10 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I really only eat potatoes and squash. I think I need to experiment with more though. Lettuce on a sandwich seems to be ok sometimes.
You should go to the vitamin store and purchase the black walnut, clove, wormwood herbal supplement. It kills any parasites in your system and helps restore intestinal flora. Its really worth a try because I feel like nauseousness from sugar often has to do from bacteria or parasites. Or at least have your stool tested. Not to freak you out or anything but seriously its worth a try!

#365163 - 06/16/11 05:34 AM
boron

Reged: 05/11/11

@ mavera "Dextrose" is a commercial name and "grape sugar" a source-descriptive name for glucose. Both are pure glucose.

Lactose is called milk sugar, fructose is fruit sugar, sucrose (table sugar) is cane sugar...

--------------------
I don't have IBS.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1811 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20923

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review