All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
breakfast cereals
      #364482 - 04/27/11 02:37 AM
mz67166

Reged: 04/27/11

Do brakfast cereals count as soluble or insoluble fibre? e.g. cornflakes, cheerios,oat flakes, bran flakes, malt crunchies etc.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: breakfast cereals new
      #364484 - 04/27/11 06:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Any cereal that contains a whole grain such as whole wheat, bran flakes, etc are high in insoluble fiber and best be avoided.

Heather say "Cold fat-free cereal such as Corn Chex, Kix, Rice Chex, Rice Krispies, Honeycomb, or Corn Pops, eaten dry. At all costs avoid bran, granola, and whole wheat choices, as well as cereals with raisins, other dried fruits, or nuts" on this web page.

Also, make sure the cereal you choose does not contain high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#364523 - 04/28/11 08:53 PM
di8286

Reged: 05/27/10

Syl, Do you know anything about the Paleo diet? It stresses protein, veggies and no grains or dairy products. What are your thoughts on this diet? If any at all?

#364527 - 04/29/11 07:52 AM
Syl

It is based on a high fat, moderate to high in animal protein and low to moderate carbohydrates coming. The preferred fats are saturated fats like coconut oil, lard, duck fat, butter, tallow, etc.

Not only is this diet IBS unfriendly is not particularly healthy and the science behind it is questionable at best. A search of the past 100 years of research has not revealed any valid clinical studies of the diet. The National Health Services in the UK considers it to be fad diet.

The paleo diet is something I certainly would not use to manage my IBS symptoms

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#364533 - 04/29/11 01:57 PM
di8286

Reged: 05/27/10

Thanks for the feedback on the Paleo Diet. Like I stated in one of my posts, they stress protein, veggies, no carbs, no grains, no beans, etc. After eating grass-fed beef for two weeks, it was awful - my stomach felt like someone punched me so hard. So, I am back to my chicken, turkey and fish (no red meat or pork). Should I also stay away from eggs? Am off of all other dairy. I also find that I do better with cooked veggies than raw ones. What about grains? Bread? Safe for IBS - as long as I stay away from whole wheat? I seem to do alright w rice products too. Suggestions? Thanks.

#364602 - 05/03/11 01:19 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

on what grounds are those preferred fats??
gosh, I can just about understand the elimination of carbs, as that is what contains fibre which can produce gas, but why is there an emphasis on the bad fats?...

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#366232 - 10/08/11 02:03 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Syl,

I've been reading up on the Paleo diet basically 24/7 for the past week, and while I am not a scientific researcher like you, I find the arguments and science extremely compelling. Not to mention that on Paleo forums (like this one), many people have posted say their IBS completely disappeared once they went Paleo. I'm now in correspondence with a few of them for ongoing support with this diet.

I should also mention that Paleo is naturally low in FODMAPS which has been touted as one of its benefits for GI issues.

I have started eating Paleo and I'm already feeling an improvement, however it's too soon to tell. I will report back here in about a month. Although I realize my posts may get taken down, as it runs in direct conflict with Heather's dietary framework.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Yes - tell us how it goes -nt- new
      #366233 - 10/08/11 02:53 PM
Syl

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 475 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7515

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review