All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Marijuna and IBS
      #359092 - 06/05/10 08:51 PM
BQE

Reged: 06/05/10

Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that Marijuna is the opposite of alcohol for IBS?
Instead of being a trigger, if anything Marijuna is beinign or a helpful agent for IBS symptoms?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Marijuna and IBS new
      #359093 - 06/06/10 05:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Check the Marijuana and IBS in Heather's newsletter. And the two medical references in this message

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359105 - 06/06/10 09:21 PM
BQE

The studies you quoted indicated relief for pain, but does it help for symtoms such as diarahha, constipation, alternating, and bloating?

#359106 - 06/07/10 05:45 AM
Syl

I believe besides pain both medical articles indicate cannabinoids play an anti-inflammatory role and a role in gastric emptying, peptic acid production, enteric motility, acetylcholine release, peristalsis, and cholinergic and non-adrenergic non-cholinergic contractions of smooth muscle of the GI tract. All of these are involved in GI disorders. These effects are mediated at the brain level as well as in the GI tract. Endocannabinoids play a role in the brain and the gut fitting into the 'brain and the gut dysfunction' model.

The second medical article says that the endocannabinoid system may represents a promising new therapeutic target against different GI disorders, inflammatory bowel diseases and functional bowel diseases such as IBS and secretion and motility disorders.

Understanding of the role of cannabinoids in the GI tract is a relatively new research area that is still evolving. Generally speaking it appears that cannabinoids may play a range of roles in GI disorders and their symptoms not just a role in modulation of pain.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#359167 - 06/09/10 09:57 AM
wizard41681

Reged: 05/13/10
Loc: texas

I am not siding with this one way or the other but I will say that I have known it to relieve all symptoms of my IBS. Again I am not saying go get blazed but there are times that it has helped me when I had a really bad round of cramping. I never tried it until I read an article about how it was used to relieve menstruation cramps a long time ago. I figured a cramp is a cramp right. So I talked to my doc and he said that while he could not officially say to it might be worth a try. It is not legal in my state so he won't say do it. I have bad reaction to most oral pain meds. His thought was that it has no known side effects other than being arrested lol and it will not make you any less disconnected than a strong muscle relaxer. That is all I am saying on the issue and to each his own.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas

#359177 - 06/09/10 12:47 PM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

Hey Syl! Hope you are well. I'm going to be honest here. I've done alot of research on medical marijuanna and have decided to give it a try. For the past week I've been using it (evenings only after kids are in bed...and I smoke outside). I have to say that along with my Acacia and sticking to the diet I have felt better than I have in 2 years. I don't notice a difference in my bloating but as far as my D goes - I've actually had solid BM's every AM for 3 days...not sure if it's a coincidence or what but I'm def. going to continue and see if it helps...

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

#359205 - 06/10/10 01:02 PM
Syl

I am doing fine. I always feel much better when the days are longer and warmer. I have seen many interesting anecdotal comments supporting your observations. There was an on-line questionnaire about marijuana and IBS that Heather directed us to last year. It will be interesting to see what they find. I wonder if they will notify Heather when they have some results.

--------------------

#359206 - 06/10/10 01:24 PM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

Let's hope that they do. I would be interested in seeing who else has benefited from it as well...I know Shawneric has from reading his posts.

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

#359379 - 06/21/10 06:43 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I can say that before I knew what I had, I knew that smoking marijuana absolutely helped my abdominal pain AND was the only thing that helped me go. (I am a C). While I don't use it now there was a time when it was an absolute lifesaver for me.

#359405 - 06/22/10 06:22 PM
BQE

I'd like to know if it has helped people with bloating and trapped gas.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1033 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23328

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review