All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Why is this in the news and on tv now? (Rifaxamin/Xifaxin)
      #358588 - 05/13/10 05:13 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Indicates that (only) 40% of ibs-d patients have significant improvement - some totally recover:

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/irritable.bowel.cure.2.1690684.html

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why is this in the news and on tv now? (Rifaxamin/Xifaxin) new
      #358590 - 05/13/10 06:07 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

This news article doesn't appear to report anything that has not been reported in the news over the past few years. Pimental and SIBO have in the news on and off for a few years. He is the one who proposed the use of the lactulose breath test to determining SIBO and the use of non-absorbable antibiotics such as Rifaximin (Xifaxin) for treatment.

Recently there have been a series of article that question the reliability of the test to distinguish SIBO individuals from controls. Frequently after treatment with antibiotics the IBS symptoms return again. There have been a number of people on the board who have tried Rifaxamin with short term or poor results. I don't recall see anyone post with long term positive results using this antibiotic.

SIBO, its relationship to IBS and treatment with antibiotics is still a questionable approach requiring more investigation. It may be helpful to some but it does not appear to be as useful a therapeutic approach for managing IBS as originally thought.

Reference
Vanner, S. The lactulose breath test for diagnosing SIBO in IBS patients: another nail in the coffin . The American Journal Of Gastroenterology 103, 964-965 (2008).

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

XIFAXAN550 new
      #360309 - 08/14/10 06:51 AM
capricorn1942

Salix Announces FDA Acceptance for Filing and Priority Review Designation For XIFAXAN550 sNDA For the Treatment of Non-Constipation Irritable Bowel Syndrome
PDUFA Action Date Designated as December 7, 2010:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/salix-announces-fda-acceptance-for-filing-and-priority-review-designation-for-xifaxan550-snda-for-the-treatment-of-non-constipation-irritable-bowel-syndrome-2010-08-09?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Is this a new higher dosage of Rifaximin (550 mg)? Is it to be taken 1, 2 or 3 times a day? Is it to be taken once or periodically?

Cheers.

--------------------

Re: XIFAXAN550 new
      #360310 - 08/14/10 08:58 AM
Syl

In this study Small intestine bacterial overgrowth and irritable bowel syndrome-related symptoms: experience with Rifaximin the dose used was 1200 mg per day for 7 days which suggests that 550 mg twice a day might be the dose that is used. There have been other studies that used 800 mg per day for 10 days and 1200 mg per day for 10 days.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#360311 - 08/14/10 09:35 AM
capricorn1942

Apparently the FDA believes in the efficacy of Rifaximin at this dosage and this frequency(?).

What (new?) evidence is this based upon?

The FDA has given wrong approval sometimes in the past.

Cheers.

--------------------

#360312 - 08/14/10 09:42 AM
Syl

Only an application has been made. The FDA hasn't approved it yet so we don't know what they think. However, they have previously approved its use for Hepatic Encephalopathy

--------------------

Rifaximin with partially hydrolysed guar gum new
      #360566 - 08/24/10 01:33 PM
capricorn1942

Seems like a strange result:

Clinical trial: the combination of rifaximin with partially hydrolysed guar gum is more effective than rifaximin alone in eradicating small intestinal bacterial overgrowth

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2010.04436.x/abstract

Cheers.

--------------------

Re: Rifaximin with partially hydrolysed guar gum new
      #360568 - 08/24/10 03:06 PM
Syl

This research uses an interesting idea. The authors reason that PHGG as a prebiotic SF works as follows

"Thus, we have hypothesized that adding a prebiotic such as partially hydrolysed guar gum (PHGG) to rifaximin can be of help in the decontamination of small bowel. In fact, it can have a beneficial effect on intestinal motility and therefore a synergic interaction between rifaximin and PHGG may lead to a higher eradication rate of SIBO. The primary end point of our study was to assess whether the combination of rifaximin with PHGG is more effective than Rifaximin alone in eradicating SIBO, whereas the secondary end point was to evaluate whether the combined treatment obtains a greater symptomatic improvement than rifaximin alone."

PHGG is know to increase colonic concentration of Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria. The PHGG a prebiotic SF may improve intestinal motility and have a prebiotic effect that promotes the growth of natural colon flora. They conclude "Therefore, the prebiotic effect of PHGG is likely to provide a synergistic action with rifaximin inside the bowel lumen, by improving intestinal clearance and favouring the microflora balance."

It will be interesting to see if this idea gains traction in clinical practice.

--------------------

#360577 - 08/25/10 06:03 AM
capricorn1942

Apparently Benefiber changed from phgg to inulin to wheat dextrin but the phgg benefiber is still available:

http://www.planetrx.com/shop/detail.cfm?sku=au248&utm_source=frg&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=product&zmam=1000941&zmas=26&zmac=106&zmap=au248

Is there a downside to phgg?

Cheers.

--------------------

#360580 - 08/25/10 07:00 AM
Syl

I have not heard of any problems. It is found in many processed foods as a thickener. In Canada Benefibre is still made with inulin. I have no idea why they don't use the wheat dextrin formulation used in the US and UK. I suspect they choose PHGG for the Rifaximin study because it has been used in many other studies.

I don't believe that PHGG would be the only SF that might show a benefit when used with Rifaximin for controlling SIBO. I suspect that any SF with good prebiotic effects might work just as well.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5713

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review