All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Hyoscyamine (a.k.a. the miracle drug) questions new
      #356043 - 02/22/10 02:45 PM
J.C.

Reged: 07/23/03
Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Hey everyone, it has been a long time since I've posted here, but I hope everyone is well! I have a couple of questions if you all don't mind, but first, I must tell everyone that I have stumbled upon a drug, Hyoscyamine, that literally takes most, if not all, of my IBS-C symptoms away! It's an antispasmodic, and it goes by a number of names: one of it's brand names is Levsin, and one of it's generics is Hyomax (what I take). And it's cheap! So if you haven't tried it yet, make sure to run it by your doctor! But, in any event, a couple questions:

1. For those who are taking it, does anyone know if there is a limit to how long you can take it? I don't mean how much in a day, but for how long. For example, could I take Hyoscyamine SR 0.375 mg (the all day version of Hyoscyamine) every day for the rest of my life? I ask because some medications your body gets "used" to, and it stops working as well as it used to. I want to know if I should "ration" my supply so as to not have my body get used to it, so to speak.

2. What negative side affects have anyone encountered with Hyoscyamine use? I noticed a couple of people saying that they get tired, is that true?

3. During an attack, is it okay to take more than 0.125 mg of Hyoscyamine in any given 8 hour period?

Thanks so much everyone!

--------------------
- John

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hyoscyamine (a.k.a. the miracle drug) questions new
      #356056 - 02/22/10 07:55 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

When I was on Levsin five years ago, I was a very unstable D. I now consider myself a very stable A. I was on 0.125 mg up to 4 times a day.

At first I took Levsin a couple times a day, then gradually weekly, then monthly, and then not at all. I think Dec. 2005 was the last time I took it.

It made me very, very drowsy all day and pretty thirsty. The drowsiness was the main reason I did not want to be on it forever. For the 3 or 4 weeks I took it more than once a day, I was in bed by 8:30 almost every night.

#356113 - 02/24/10 01:30 PM
J.C.

To Snorkie, just kind of curious, not to come off the topic, but how were you able to stop taking it?

--------------------
- John

#356123 - 02/24/10 06:30 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

In large part to the IBS diet, I became more stable over time. It was a long road.

Also, if I remember correctly, adding an soluble fiber supplement at lunch helped, too. In the morning and evening, I took Benefiber and at lunch, I took generic Fibercon tablets. I still do this today, though it as not as crucial to my stability as it once was.

#356256 - 03/01/10 02:50 PM
J.C.

Anybody else have any thoughts on my post? :-)

--------------------
- John

#356351 - 03/05/10 10:15 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

I have taken Hyoscyamine (Levsin) for years with no problems at all. The only side effect I may get is a dry mouth. I only take it now very very periodically as I have gotten my IBS-C pretty stable thru Heather's diet. I swear if I get cramps I take one (let it dissolve under my tongue) and the cramps are gone within 5--10 minutes. It's really been great for me, that's all I can say.

#357018 - 03/26/10 03:54 PM
J.C.

Does anyone take it on a regular basis?

--------------------
- John

#357019 - 03/26/10 04:56 PM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

I swear by the stuff, however

a. I find I've had to up my dosage from one pill stopping an attack, to two pills needed. Usually, this does the job and I have a soft landing the next day, if you follow. But sometimes there is stubborn episodes that I need one later on in the evening, or the next morning its almost as bad. ( i'm a morning go'er )

b. I only take them when I have an acute D attack. Not as a maintenance dose. To keep those attacks down I try to best adhere to diet, fiber supplements, and exercise.

c. I use the ones which dissolve under your tounge. One thing they do wonders for is the placebo affect. Follow me here for a sec, I carry them with me, a couple in a small bottle, and it does wonders for my mind knowing I have them with me at all times, and can always stop an attack. With them at my side I've taken trips all over the area , including NYC in the summer! Placebo effect, totally. Helps me keep from poopin' myself in nervousness going out

#357022 - 03/26/10 08:15 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

When I took it, it made me very tired, and I had blurred vision, as well. I also didn't notice a big improvement with my GI symptoms. So, after a few weeks, I stopped taking it.

#357887 - 04/19/10 03:06 PM
J.C.

Has anyone else felt tired and/or dizzy by the drug? Or is anyone else taking the drug regularly/semi-regularly, and if so how much?

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

--------------------
- John

#357904 - 04/20/10 06:13 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I tried this drug many years ago - it is one of the oldest GI drugs around. I had to quite taking because of its central nervous system side effects. What you are experiencing is not unusual. Here is a list of side effects.

Adverse reactions may include dryness of the mouth; urinary hesitancy and retention; blurred vision; tachycardia; palpitations; mydriasis; increased ocular tension; loss of taste; headache; nervousness; drowsiness; weakness; fatigue; dizziness; insomnia; nausea; vomiting; impotence; constipation; bloated feeling; abdominal pain; diarrhea; allergic reactions or drug idiosyncrasies; urticaria and other dermal manifestations; ataxia; speech disturbance; some degree of mental confusion and/or excitement (especially in elderly persons); short-term memory loss; hallucinations; and decreased sweating.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Hyoscyamine (a.k.a. the miracle drug) questions
      #357907 - 04/20/10 10:07 AM
TahitiTLO

Reged: 10/21/09
Loc: Knoxville, TN

I've never posted anything on here before but I've read people's posts for over a year now. I've been on and off Hyoscyamine since July of last year. It definitely makes me tired and I'm always thirsty when I take it. Usually I take one in the morning. It almost makes me feel like it starts my digestive system or something. Usually through the day I just use fiber supplements. I try to follow the diet, so I'm pretty stable now. It does help knowing that I have them if I need them. Hope my input helps.

#372522 - 10/11/15 09:48 AM
jwrobel0398

Reged: 10/04/15

How did you wean yourself off of it? I'd really hate to be on this stuff the rest of my life although it is wonderful to finally be pain free. Thanks!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1305 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14797

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review