All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Brown Rice Flour
      #352667 - 11/24/09 04:22 PM
Row

Reged: 11/23/09

I am confused. Is brown rice flour considered soluble fiber?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Brown Rice Flour new
      #352668 - 11/24/09 05:45 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Brown rice flour contains the rice bran. It has much more insoluble fiber than soluble fiber. White rice flour has the bran removed. It has much less insoluble fiber and therefore it is safer for IBSers.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352681 - 11/25/09 11:44 AM
Row

Okay, thanks. I am gluten intolerant and sensitive to yeast which cuts out several foods from the soluble fiber list. I have been looking for snack foods that Heather mentions in her list. All the rice cakes and crackers I have found are made from brown rice, and the rice cereals including Cream of Rice are made with brown rice. Am I missing something? Or do I just eat white rice? That gets kind of boring.

#352683 - 11/25/09 12:12 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Nope - your not missing anything

When you say you are gluten intolerant does that mean you tested postive for celiacs disease?

Rice cakes I believe are made from puff brown rice not rice flour so they may have a bit less insolulble fiber than rice flour. Some individuals find that they can handle some brown rice products while others like myself cannot handle it at all. As with all things IBS you may have to experiment.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352685 - 11/25/09 12:25 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Try the Chex recipes on the recipe board for snacks. You can make these in an oven with seasonings to your liking, and some even in a microwave.

There is even a link to Chex.com that will take you directly to some of their recipes.

Best of luck... there ARE solutions.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#352687 - 11/25/09 01:17 PM
Row

Interesting about the puffed rice vs rice flour. I have not been diagnosed as celiac because I had been on a wheat-free diet for years. I was given the blood test for Celiac and tested negative; I did not have the biopsy used to diagnose Celiac Disease. This would have necessitated going back on wheat in order to be tested. My gastroenterologist said that if the diet helped there was no need to put myself through that. At his recommendation I took a stool test done by Enterolab and tested positive for gluten intolerance. Whew! That's a long answer to a short question.

#352705 - 11/25/09 09:04 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

You might want to sign up for yourtotalhealth.com monthly newsletters which offers a wealth of information on various health issues and symptoms.

Here is one about celiac: http://healthbeat.yourtotalhealth.com/2009/11/celiac-disease---how-wide-is-t.html?nlcid=pa'11-25-2009'

From there you can link to more information.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#372806 - 05/10/16 05:39 AM
AlphaBeth

Reged: 05/10/16

Thank you so much for asking this question. I'm a non-celiac gluten-sensitive person (I had all the medical tests) with decades of IBS. Eating gluten free has helped, but has not eliminated IBS. Many gluten-free baked items use brown rice flour. For example, I noticed that I often did okay eating half an Udi's Plain bagel, but sometimes it brought on an episode; sometimes I could get by eating more than half, but sometimes not. I chalked it up to other factors if I reacted, but now am revisiting the question of using products based on brown rice or brown rice flour. This includes my beloved rice cakes -- virtually all of which use brown rice! Many gluten-free products use other irritating ingredients as well. So I'm going to readjust my diet -- again!! -- especially as I'm going through a stressful life event, and see if it helps. (I'm also doing meditation, tai chi, and CBT, so it's not just a dietary effort. But still having increased IBS-D at the moment.)

Yes - frustration with gluten free! new
      #372808 - 05/10/16 09:15 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I have the same complaints. Just because something is gluten free does not make it IBS friendly!

I constantly find dairy and really high fat contents in gluten free foods that would not have these components in the regular gluten versions. And a lot of the flour subs they use are high in insoluble fiber - I've even seen psyllium added to gluten free foods. Imagine the bloating and gas.

I don't have helpful suggestions in this area aside from reading ingredient lists. Just wanted to add my venting - my aunt has celiac, I have IBS, so I'm always combining the two concerns when shopping/cooking for family meals.

And I have to say I think it's easier to start with IBS friendly and make it gluten free, than to start with commercial gluten free options and have to hope and pray they're safe for IBS.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1584 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11018

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review