All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Sand - enabling post
      #328747 - 04/23/08 04:17 PM
Wendy2

Reged: 01/24/05

I had a nice message sent out and I guess it was lost in translation when your post got put on the main message board page. I agree that some posts have been negative. I admit that I am one does not follow the diet 100 percent. I am trying to figure out my trigger foods and I've got it narrowed down well now.

I do think though that the posts about people saying what they can eat(even though it may be a trigger food)is helpful. I found out from another person they have the same tolerance/intolerance as me: we can eat pizza, but not ice cream. Which until I read that thought this was all "in my head." I could not figure out how it's possible to be able to eat pizza, but not ice cream considering dairy is in both.

Needless to say I felt a BIG relief when I read that. I thought, wow, I'm not the only one. I am, however, the only one in my "real" life I know that has IBS. It is very difficult to adapt to the diet while others around me can eat so freely. I think some posters get frustrated by that. But, the diet is very helpful and I think it has made a big difference in my life.

This site is a gift to me from Heather and everyone else. I was truly miserable before this site. If someone's post helps one person, it's worth it. I basically disregard the posts that I can't relate to or that are really off base. I have found many people who are inspirational and I appreciate their suggestions greatly. Here's to a happy tummy!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

FANTASTIC POST Sand!! new
      #328758 - 04/23/08 06:20 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Sand, as always you are a wonder!!

It's fantastic that you write out what a lot of us think.

There are days that I get so frustrated with the diet board that I refuse to check it for weeks on end. A HAM sandwich - STEAK - BEEF TACOS - OMG!!! Just the thought of those send my tummy turning. I cannot tolerate it, so I don't bother testing my system to see if I can. It's just something you learn after 16 - 17 years of IBS. It's NOT WORTH THE PAIN!!! My grandma even gave up trying to get me to eat stuff years ago, she could see my misery without cheating on the diet, she didn't want to subject me to worse.

Someone posted to ask me why I didn't eat meat from Taco Bell restaurants. BECAUSE a) IT'S BEEF!!! b) It's loaded with fat and things I can't tolerate and c) IT'S BEEF! I didn't even reply to the poster, sorry, but if you have to ask you haven't been paying attention to the diet. I'll eat a VEGGIE wrap or VEGGIE burrito. No cheese, sour cream or spicy salsa stuff. Thought that pretty much covered what I found safe at a Mexican fast food outlet.

I do heartly believe that the people that do not find success with the diet are not commited to the diet 100%. Yep, I'll admit, I cheat. But I don't come with my sob story to the board and list the foods we shouldn't be eating that I just wolfed down after eating my willpower with it. I'll confess, popcorn is my weakpoint. Heather's directive is correct - no nutritional value, no point in eating it, but it's the one thing I gave up for two years and did re-incorporate into my diet just the last 6 months or so.

And while I'm here - why is it that the same topic is covered over and over and over? Coffee! Good grief! CAFFEINE = BAD, get it, got it, good! Still not sure, search the 1001 other posts about coffee or decaf or half fat, double shot, decaf, no foam drinks! PLEASE!!! Search or read old posts before you start the topic that has been beaten to death.

Luv ya Sand - thanks for speaking up for us that love Heather and the board!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: FANTASTIC POST Sand!! new
      #328760 - 04/23/08 06:48 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Sand, you're the best! This is exactly how I've been feeling the past couple of months and why I haven't been offering advice or posting as often. I get the feeling that some people don't want advice that relates to Heather's EFI plan (which is what these boards are for) and are doing exactly what you said: enabling each other. Thank you for saying this!

#328778 - 04/24/08 09:14 AM
tovabela

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: NYC

Thank you for so eloquently sharing what many of us wanted to say but just couldn't put into words.

#328782 - 04/24/08 10:07 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I just wanted to comment that, being a newbie here, I have been getting confused by many of the posts. I've been reading Heather's books cover to cover and came to the message boards for support. The post from Sand clears a whole lot up for someone just starting the EFI diet.
Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

Re: Sand - enabling post new
      #328791 - 04/24/08 11:52 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You hit the nail on the head, Sand. This is exactly why I have been absent for quite some time. I got tired of people posting the crap they are eating every day, and wondering why they, in turn, feel like crap. For you newbies out there, you may think there are a whole lot of lists and rules... but I guarantee you that if you stick with it, it will become second nature and you won't even think about it. I know that's how it worked for me. Sure, people give me funny looks when I say I'm vegan, but don't eat salads. But that says a hell of a lot about what it can truly mean to be vegan; there's so much good, normal food out there!

Thanks again, Sand!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#328798 - 04/24/08 01:48 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Good post you are so right about all of this. The people who reallly want help and really want to do this like me, this post will help. Thanks for the post form the people who really want the help! xxx and thanks again for helping me when I ask!
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

#328805 - 04/24/08 03:03 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I know I'm one of the people who says I eat X, Y, or Z trigger and tolerate it. However, I also try to point out that I am stable or have learned awhile ago I am able to tolerate a trigger. I also at least sometimes say that IBS is a very individual thing and what works for me may not work for someone else. I know my system.

However, I will NOT ever again touch beef with a 10-foot pole. No way, UH UH!

We are all at least a little different. Be careful with the triggers. Especially if you are not stable, expect "retribution" if you indulge.

Don't know if I'm trying to defend myself or what, but I just wanted to put that out there.

Sand - it is a very good post - nt - new
      #328806 - 04/24/08 03:16 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#328817 - 04/25/08 05:48 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

Sand,

Again a wonderful post
So true
Thanks
Terry

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1355 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9621

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review