All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
The bad about dairy - anyone explain?
      #328386 - 04/17/08 11:32 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

So I'm wondering, according to the EFI diet, the problem with dairy is mainly the proteins (casein, whey), right? Fat is not the issue because we can get fat-free dairy, and lactose is not the issue because we can either take lactase or aren't lactose intolerant. So it really comes down to the protein.
So how come that dairy substitutes such as soy cheese or rice cheese so often contain casein? Would these pose the exact same risk as if we were to eat regular dairy because of the protein content?
I'm by no means trying to discredit the diet, I'm just the kind of a person who needs to know exactly "why" to make herself stick to the diet. Lately I've been SO tempted to cheat...oh well.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The bad about dairy - anyone explain? new
      #328399 - 04/17/08 03:33 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

My dietician, who specializes in GI problems actually highly recommeded eating yogurt....specifically Stonyfield or Activia. She said there is no proof dairy is bad for everyone with IBS if you don't test positive for lactose intolerance.

Not that this answers your question. And not that I have been daring enough to try it.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#328416 - 04/18/08 04:32 AM
Zara

Jordy, you're right, it doesn't answer my question but it proofs the point I'm making here - so many different approaches out there! That's why I need to know why the protein is bad in milk but then OK when added to soy cheese.

I wish someone had an answer

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#328417 - 04/18/08 05:04 AM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Casein and whey are deadly for me in anything - even soy cheese, so I definitely follow the EFI guidelines about dairy. That said, I know other people with it who are more or less fine with dairy. To be honest, I think it's an entirely individual thing whether or not you tolerate it, but Heather is right that for the vast majority of us, dairy is completely bad. That said, I've asked exactly the same question of my GI, and all I got was a condescending explanation about what lactose intolerance is. She actually couldn't explain why certain foods trigger IBS - tried to explain all of my examples (red meat, eggs, dairy) away by telling me that those were separate allergies I was incorrectly attributing to IBS.

(The doctor in this case is Dr. Susan Lucak, who's supposed to be an expert.)

#328420 - 04/18/08 05:54 AM
binok

Reged: 03/22/08
Loc: CT

What does EFI stand for?

#328421 - 04/18/08 05:55 AM

Unregistered

Zara I wonder the same thing....dairy is tricky. To be honest, I'm fine with a piece of cheese on a sandwich and even pizza....shhh! But I cheated and ate ice cream and WOW what an awful attack that gave me....

EFI = Eating For IBS -nt- new
      #328423 - 04/18/08 07:04 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#328431 - 04/18/08 08:54 AM
Zara

Emily - yes, many doctors seem to really account everything to lactose int. so they're like, "you tested negative so go ahead and eat all the dairy you want".

jhuggs - my problem is that I can't figure it out on my own. I think that I'd also be fine with a bit of dairy as a part of a meal, but I'm allways "all or nothing". So I either avoid it or eat a lot (a cup of yogurt, several cubes of cheese...). I really need to try just a few bites with a meal.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

the proof is in the pudding new
      #328464 - 04/18/08 07:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

No pun intended. You have to use common sense. Perhaps little bits of things are well tolerated for many IBSers but at a certain point you may have problems. The EFI diet is about playing it safe really, to give yourself the best chance you can have. For me science is NOT a big part of it. Why? because there is no science behind IBS. There is nothing physically wrong with someone with IBS. The gut functions improperly and we do the best with it for the most part. When science can explain and cure it that will be great! But until then do what works for you and start with what works for most people. Start with Heather's guidelines and see how you do and what else bothers you.
Personally I can handle a little shaving of parmesan very well and the casein in soy cheese; both things on occassion only. I have gotten very sick from ice cream and brie cheese when I have wanted to be normal and just eat them. So that is my reasoning. I prefer to play it safe rather than deliberate on proteins not being proven hard to digest or egg yolks being ok for some or yogurt supposedly being good for you. There is so much information out there to mess a person up and we all know how things can go from good for you to bad for you week by week so I do what works for me.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: the proof is in the pudding new
      #328471 - 04/19/08 03:30 AM
Zara

Tamara, thanks for the input. I'm not new to the EFI diet and I did follow it to the T for a couple months with only moderate results. I was already eating very low fat before starting the diet so maybe that's why I didn't feel significantly better afterwards. I am using my common sense and that's exactly why I'm looking for answers and explanation. The EFI diet doesn't work for me "as is" and that's why I need to tweak it a little. So I'm wondering, since they're are additional things that I need to cut out of my diet because they trigger a reaction, if that also means that some of the "triggers" as they're listed may not really be triggers for me.
I actually believe that there's a lot of science in this. Even Heather explains that the reason dairy is on the trigger list are the proteins (beside fat and lactose). That's what makes me wonder about this exact same protein in dairy substitutes.
I'm just trying to eat as many things as I can tolerate without unnecessarily cutting out everything I used to love (provided it's not a trigger for me). As we all know, the right diet for us is very hard to figure out .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 468 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14285

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review