All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Atkins vs. Heathers diet? Fill up w Fat or Fiber?
      #3212 - 03/18/03 05:04 PM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

I have moved from Atkins (murder on my symptoms) to Heathers HIGH soluable fiber diet (better).

I've noticed LOTS of gas, and not the weight gain I thought I'd have (boy eating that first plate of pasta was SCAREY-I did Atkins for three years)...an not weight loss either - yet - much LESS hunger - MUCH to my surprise...I keep it lowfat, high soluable fiber and low gi/gl always - unprocessed foods only - minimal healthy fats/UNsat-nonhydrog! - obey all her "rules".

Typical day
b- oatmeal- smear pnut butter
L- Barley and chicken w yams and a little mayo
snack - some chicken/rice
D- Pasta w tuna and some peas
snack - oatmeal

I know, must be THOUSANDS of carbs, but I guess not high in cals, since my "meals" only take up the space of about 1cup of food. I eat several times a day (3-6). I also walk 1-2 hours a day, every day.

I miss Atkins...but I think this high fiber diet is actually healthier - more nutritious/I keep to unprocessed foods and healthy fats only/unsat - I try to work in some healthy low glycemic vegs -yams/green peas etc...and stay away from the VERY high insoluable fibers.

So - am I doing it right? Everything is improved, my appetite is really down, I feel full alot of the time (except first thing in the morning)...so that must mean the soluable fiber/slows the glycemic index-absorbtion rate of the sugars involved/many of which are fiber...have alot of gas and sometimes "D", but now taking some caltrate for that.

I'm learning, new to this. I always think "God this meal must have like a MILLION carbs in it" but then I start eating and get FULL SO FAST - due to the soluable fiber.

I think this is why people lose weight on this diet. I don't miss all that fat of Atkins, but when you do a low carb diet you HAVE to eat SOMETHING to make you feel FULL - and that would be FAT on Atkins...but it is SOLUABLE fiber on Heather's Diet.

Am I getting this all correct here?

Yes, on Atkins you eat almost no carbs/less than 50 carbs a day for most people, aren't hungry due to the high fat content and hence eat less calories (supposedly).
On Heathers diet you can eat MUCH MORE, but you don't need to because the fiber makes you feel full fast - and hey, I think although we do need some fat in our diet (the good fats), going with the high carb/lower "good" fat diet is healthier for our colon our hearts and maybe even our waistlines...

Others?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Atkins vs. Heathers diet? Fill up w Fat or Fiber? new
      #3216 - 03/18/03 05:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There have been some other questions about the Atkins diet on the board - here's a link web page

You're absolutely right - soluble (and insoluble) fiber is very, very filling. And carbs/proteins are less than half as calorie-dense as fat, so you can eat twice as many for the same calorie count. That's why so many people lose weight when they switch from Atkins, or even just an average Western diet, to the IBS diet. They're dropping fats and adding carbs, which means they're losing overall calories.

For the gas, you should notice this dissipate as you adjust to the increased fiber in your diet. Also, try strong hot fennel tea - it's very antigas.

Best,
Heather

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Atkins vs. Heathers diet? Fill up w Fat or Fiber? new
      #3246 - 03/19/03 02:38 AM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Fennel tea? I'll try that - peppermint tea/no can do - irritates my Gerd/stomach acid.

Thanks. Also Beano is wondeful too. The calcium continues to show improvments!! Who knows maybe I'll get off questran on day? For now, staying on prescribed meds - til my doc says okay cut down. My doc approved of the calcium - I can't help thinking - if he thought it would help why didn't he tell me to try it before?

I'm avoiding artificial sweeteners - sweetnlow - do you think this is necessary? It DOES contain a small amount of dextrose which is just straight sugar - however - my questran contains aspartame/nothing I can do about that.

Re: artificial sweeteners new
      #3289 - 03/19/03 10:35 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I recommend that you avoid them as a rule, as virtually all of them can cause GI problems for people. But there's a lot of variation here - if you know that you can tolerate a small amount of one variety, you're probably just fine to use it. I'd watch the quantity and frequency, and avoid where possible. What's most important is that you know it is a potential trigger - so if your symptoms strike and you've had artificial sweeteners you'll know where the blame lies, instead of wondering what on earth happened.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1008 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12673

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review