All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Gluten Sensitivity Question
      #316428 - 10/11/07 08:58 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

Hello- I just got the results back from a stool test for Anti-gluten antibodies - it came back elevated. Before getting the results I tried to stay on a gluten free diet for a week and it wrecked havoc on my system. I was extremely constipated and felt like killing myself. I find that having wheat in my diet is the only thing that helps me stay regular and as soon as I remove it It messes up my system. what am I supposed to do now? i'd appreciate some help

thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten Sensitivity Question new
      #316429 - 10/11/07 09:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Was the test done by your doctor through a medical lab OR was it done through one of the Internet based companies?

If it was done by your doctor what did s/he suggest?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#316457 - 10/11/07 02:08 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I had the blood work done....the celiac panel, by a medical doctor. I tested positive on 2 of the tests and negative on the one most specific for celiac.

I went to one of the best celiac centers at a very prestigous hospital and the doctor, who specializes in gluten sensitivity and celiac, told me that there is no way that a stool test can accurately test for gluten intolerance. Furthermore, she said that even if you test positive for gluten antibodies, if the biopsy is normal, there is no reason to eat GF. I felt like you when I ate GF for 2 years. I never felt better...but became more constipated, still have pain, gas and bloat.

You don't have to take this....as I know it's hard to forget the test results...but she is a leading researcher in this area and this is what she says the stool test is not respected by any of the celiac doctors she has ever known.

BTW, I don't know one person who has had the stool test done who didn't test positive for gluten antibodies. Coincidence? I wish we knew if this was really a valid test. I know some swear by it....but it's hard to argue with the experts.

I say, listen to your body. It's telling you it does better with wheat. Or, stay GF for a long time (at least 6 months) to see if your body just needs to get used to the GF diet.

Keep us updated, okay?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#316466 - 10/11/07 03:17 PM
jenny833

Thanks jordy! Did u have a biopsy done? What was the outcome of everything? i may try the diet for a few months and see what happens.

GI symptoms new
      #316487 - 10/11/07 07:31 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Aren't you supposed to eat gluten before the test to have something for it to find? Also we need to have some discussion about GI symptoms. I never really suspected I had Celiacs because I have always heard D and weight loss were symptoms- not so much bloating and gas. I wished I just had Celiacs and could be GF and have no symptoms. But I just wonder if generally people have IBS only and we have too much talk about specific intolerances. Any thoughts?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: GI symptoms new
      #316523 - 10/12/07 09:19 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi there, i thought the same- that you have to eat gluten regularly for a minimum of 6 weeks in order to truly tell if you have coeliacs. Regarding symptoms of the disease i thought the any IBS symptoms could actually point to coeliacs rather than IBS. I got my information from here:

http://www.coeliac.co.uk/coeliac_disease/default.asp

Plus, there's loads more info if you search the site.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Jenny new
      #320649 - 12/14/07 04:46 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Jenny, did you ever try the GF diet? Did you eventually find help with it...or did you stay constipated?

Are you still taking the acacia? I was just wondering how you have become better (except for your change in routine now). Are you taking any supplements?

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#320652 - 12/14/07 05:28 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

BTW, I don't know one person who has had the stool test done who didn't test positive for gluten antibodies. Coincidence? I wish we knew if this was really a valid test. I know some swear by it....but it's hard to argue with the experts.

I read on the Enterolab website that up to 60% Americans have celiac gene. However, this doesn't mean that they all develop the disease. It just means that they have a predisposition.
I agree with Jordy. You know your body so eat whatever makes you feel better.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: hi jordy new
      #320653 - 12/14/07 05:42 AM
jenny833

yep ive been gluten free for 2 months - ive been taking Biogest enzymes, glutamine and acacia every morning before breakfast and also cut out eggs and soy and of course dairy - my stools have bulked up a bit and i am now going every am for the most part but I still sometimes have to strain. im hoping in time it will get even better but for now its a relief just to be able to pass decent size stools. thanks for checkin in

Re: hi jenny new
      #320657 - 12/14/07 06:12 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Could you us a idea of your daily diet? Thanks and glad to hear your feeling better:)

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1474 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 28959

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review