All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS, IC, and soy and fruit new
      #309793 - 06/25/07 02:47 PM
jamie_visiting

Reged: 06/25/07

I've definitely been helped by Heather's IBS diet and I have little left-side pain any more, though still struggle with some of the digestive issues.

I have recently developed urinary issues and my urologist suspects interstitial cystitis. The IC diet and the IBS diet don't always overlap (e.g. according to the IC diet, the only fruit you should eat is blueberries, melons, and pears). I also don't seem to do well with soy (soy ice cream made my IBS worse, but one should stay away from pretty much all soy products with suspected IC). I had already ordered Heather's IBS cookbook and was wondering how to replace the soy products in the recipes.

I understand one can use rice milk or almond milk rather than soy milk for some things, but what about the different kinds of tofu?

Also, any advice on the fruit limitations issue and adapting the recipes?

Thanks a lot!

-- Jamie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS, IC, and soy and fruit new
      #309799 - 06/25/07 03:16 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Hi Jamie. I was diagnosed with IC before being diagnosed with IBS (both last year). After six months of being on Elmiron for IC, I am happy to say that my symptoms improved quite a bit and I was able to expand my diet to include things I had previously cut out (such as additional fruits).

I actually stay away from soy for other reasons - gas and migraines. I use almond milk to replace soy milk and just tend to avoid recipes that use tofu or soy cheese.

I know I'm not much help with your question, but I mainly just wanted to say hello to another possible ICer. If you don't get any answers here, you might also try http://www.ic-network.com . There are forums with some very helpful people (just like here), and there is even an IBS forum for people with both IC and IBS.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

Re: IBS, IC, and soy and fruit new
      #309803 - 06/25/07 03:59 PM
jamie_visiting

Reged: 06/25/07

I took you up on your suggestion - thanks, elena We do seem to have a lot in common symptom-wise; I've suffered from migraines for years and chronically for the last two years. I have lots of info on that if you're interested as I have finally gotten my migraines under control.

I may be put on Elmiron in a few weeks (started on Enablex last week and am starting Vistaril today). I also ordered Cystoprotek and aloe vera.

-- Jamie

Re: IBS, IC, and soy and fruit
      #309827 - 06/25/07 05:54 PM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Glad I could help.

I have my migraines mostly under control too... been getting them for about 12 years, but it wasn't until I started taking Topamax a few years ago that I actually felt good about them. The soy thing was a surprise though. It takes large amounts of soy to trigger them (first big clue was when I had a protein shake with soy protein powder in it... ouch!), but since it also causes me gas I feel better just avoiding it altogether.

I haven't tried Cystoprotek or Aloe Vera, but I hear that they can help! With the Elmiron, keep in mind that it can take quite a while to work, possibly six months or more. I didn't start to notice a difference until about the five month mark, and I continued to improve over the few months following. But it has really made a huge difference in my symptoms. I went off of Elavil and I now only have to avoid the really acidic things like vinegar, tomatoes, citric foods, etc, and take prelief before many other things.

Hopefully you can find the right combo to ease your symptoms. If you have any more questions, let me know.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1038 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1569

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review