All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
prostaglandin and IBS
      #299336 - 02/08/07 11:22 AM
tomoko

Reged: 04/20/04

This has been talked about Heather and the others in the past. Some people experience worsening of IBS symptoms before the period because of the increased level of the prostaglandin (I think it's called E2).

Is there any way to lower the level of prostaglandin?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: prostaglandin and IBS new
      #299338 - 02/08/07 11:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

NSAIDs (Celebrix, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, etc ) are known to reduce prostaglandin synthesis.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#299351 - 02/08/07 12:53 PM
tomoko

Wouldn't these be bad for IBS?
Any natural or/and food sources?

#299354 - 02/08/07 01:11 PM
Syl

I cannot tolerate any NSAIDs. They can be very hard on the GI system. For example, aspirin can promote stomach ulcers. I used Tylenol . Its effect on prostaglandin is different from the NSAIDs. It acts indirectly on it and therefore it is not an anti-inflammatory.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#299381 - 02/08/07 05:01 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

My OB/GYN told me that prostaglandin causes D and headaches on it's own, so of course, if you already have D, well... you know how it goes.

I was able to get this under control with birth control.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#299389 - 02/08/07 07:57 PM
tomoko

Yeah, that is probably why Tylenol doesn't work on my IBS pain before my period. Tylenol barely works for my menstruation pain either, at least for me.

What kind of birth control are you taking? (I probably won't go that route, but in my desperation, I would consider it.)

So anybody know of any prostaglandin reducing food or supplements??

#299391 - 02/08/07 08:26 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I take birth control pills (orthocyclen) to help reduce my cramps. NSAIDs did help with the cramps - I'd start taking them 1 - 2 days before my period - but they were terrible for my upper GI tract. Tylenol didn't help at all. Disposable heat wraps that you can wear all day really help a lot too, as well as peppermint tea.

As far as consuming food or supplements to help, I'm not sure. I heard once that taking a calcium supplement can help reduce cramps and/or PMS symptoms, but I haven't found any studies on this and I'm not sure if it works by reducing prostaglandins or what. NSAIDs are the only things that I know for sure reduce prostaglandins.

#299396 - 02/09/07 12:12 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I'm actually not on BC now, hubby and I have decided to start trying for a baby.

But in the past I've tried:
Ortho Tricyclen
Seasonale
Ortho Evra
Levora - this was most current.

They all helped with PMS and attacks triggered around that time of the month. There now is some controversy surrounding Ortho Evra (the patch) and it's not so popular now. Levora was what I took most recently and it worked very well to help keep symptoms under control (both menstrual and IBS) and I had no side effects when I started taking it.

I use Aleve for menstrual cramps. It works well for me w/o bothering my stomach.

I don't know what kind of, if any, foods will help with prostaglandin. Sorry.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#299439 - 02/09/07 04:28 PM
tomoko

OK, someone with bio science or bio chemistry background...
What does this say?
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1046/j.1432-1327.1999.00630.x
Does this say Resveratrol reduces prostaglandin (E2)?

Thanks!

#299460 - 02/10/07 05:28 AM
Syl

This article says that resveratrol (found in red wine) prevents cell death in a specific kind of cancer cell - human erythroleukemia K562 cells. These cells were grown in a liquid media culture in the laboratory (i.e. the cells did not reside in the human body). The resveratrol and other agents that were being tested were dissolved in methanol and then added to the growth media. Resveratrol reduced the elevation of prostaglandin E2 induced by hydrogen peroxide in these cells. Hydrogen peroxide plays a role in programmed cell death (apoptosis). Resveratrol was shown to inhibit the cyclooxygenase activity of the prostaglandin H synthase enzyme. This enzyme is involved the biosynthesis of the prostaglandins.

In summary, the article shows that resveratrol reduces prostaglandins in a very specific cell under very specific conditions. The authors of the article conclude the findings "may give a biochemical background to the effect of this compound [resveratrol] in coronary heart disease and cancer prevention." The results cannot be generalized to say that drinking red wine will decrease prostaglandin E2 production.

--------------------

cure for the prostaglandin horror.. new
      #301209 - 03/01/07 09:03 PM
MySumoBaby

Reged: 10/22/06
Loc: California

Hello,
I used to have the worse IBS symptoms right before I started my period and I'm even on birth control. I would have to plan to reveive my period on a day that I knew I wouldn't be at school or work. So, I asked my Dr., who said it was due to prostaglandins. She said in order to prevent the horrid cramping and diarrhea to take 600 mg of an anti-inflammatory (aleve or advil) every 6-8 hours three days prior to getting your period. Any anti-inflammatory inhibits the uterus from releasing an excessive amount of prostaglandin. It works wonderfully for me so far. However, I'm not sensitive to the NSAIDS like some are. Good luck!

~Erica

Re: cure for the prostaglandin horror.. new
      #302075 - 03/12/07 11:18 AM
tomoko

Hi Erica,

Thank you for your post.
You said "take 600 mg of an anti-inflammatory (aleve or advil) every 6-8 hours..." So are you taking 3 pills every 6-8 hours until your period starts?

Thanks,

tomoko

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5644

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review