All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
General Update and Beano in the UK? new
      #297655 - 01/22/07 02:05 PM
princess_pp83

Reged: 03/16/06

Ok well, little update. Im 23 year old female from UK, IBS-D , have been using the EFI diet since summer 2004. Lost an awful lot of weight from Jan until May 2006, due to eating smaller portions and yet contuining the same high level of gym training that I had been doing (use it to cope with stress, help with my circulation problems and IBS)Similar to many IBS-ERS, as I had suffered such a chronic IBS attack in Jan last year I just couldnt eat anything without serious consequences. Smaller portions helped me a lot but of course combined with the exercise I became a bag of bones. Basically, it has taken from May 2006 until Jan 2007 to get back up to my present weight. Basically, I ate bigger and more frequent meals and snacks and always had bread with dinner (on top of the sf that was already in the meal) This was a very gradual process as my stomach had shrunk so much adn found it hard to eat so much. The bread is fab for IBS, my god, my BM's have been the best since a long time.

Also, of course, had to try and address the emotional issues in my life, having a bit of counselling but most importantly got sent to an eating disorders clinic in May last year who told me I was 'orthorexic'- obsession with beign healthy/over exercising. They couldnt help me though as I wasn't underweight enough (funny how the world works) and so now I am on an eight month waiting list to see soem psych or other. However, getting my 'secret' out int he open- been this way since I was 19- of course, helps with my tummy. Not bottling things up inside etc. Saw a GI doc twice last year who still wants me to go on AD'S, although for personal reasons I don't want to go on them. (prefer herbal and natural talking therapies, my mother was schizophrenic and bi-polar disorder and because of her heavy meds I was brought up completely against them. So although i know it may be 'common sense' to try and use them, I can't, it's something I just don't want to do. The thougth of taking them GIVES me IBS!)

Seriosuly cant afford the hypno (struggling on food bills, never mind anything else!) but am starting to learn about Buddhism and meditation. Inbetween jobs and have a pretty weird home situation, where I don't talk to my father's partner, so still pretty stressy!

A while ago, I think I posted asking about the ingredients in Beano as I was trying to find something in the UK that was similar, but despite going around all my HF stores with my little print out none of them seemed able to help me!
Should prob. point out at this point that I do use soy milk (I like it more than rice and oat milk, I have those in smaller quantities) and I eat well cooked EFI veggies and some form of legume on a daily basis (ie chickpeas or lentils blended into my noodles for lunch) so I prob. could do with a Beano type enzyme as I love my beeaaanns!! GAS ANYONE? Nothing like beans to make me antisocial! I pass smelly wind a lot but am not that bothered- although I am now possibly looking to start up a relationship so this is something I need to address.
So really I guess this is aimed at those from the UK- do any of you guys take anything instead of Beano? I drink water, soy milk in smoothies, masses of fennel and nettle and some peppermint tea, I take acidophilus twice a day, 3 tps of acacia, 1 tsp of ground flaxseed on my oatmeal in morning, a general vitamin supplement 1 a day, 1 garlic capsule (helps my circulation)and then started taking 1 'kalms' tablet (contains valerian and hops) in the evening in december.
I used to take St.Johns Wort and 5HTP for depression but stopped those this time last yr as doc thought these might be aggravating my IBS? if no-one has any ideas, I guess I might have to bite the bullet and try and order beano from the US, but shipping costs are just SUCH an issue. Grrr.
PS: Now I have reached my 'target weight' I am terrified I am going to keep putting on weight and this week I have started to try and cut down on the bread and am already having 'eating disorder' thoughts, incrasing my exericse and working out what I can cut out again! aarrgh! eight months waiting list= they will find me as a bag of bones again. Hrrm

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: General Update and Beano in the UK? new
      #297695 - 01/22/07 07:44 PM
time

Reged: 01/20/07

Please tell me about your circulation problems. I swell nearly 1/3 of my size when I exercise..my hands throb and my feet swell. My face swells and I feel loupy. Just let me know your symptoms..maybe I can fix this odd thing..I mean, my hands are bony! And when I exericise I look like I gain 20 pound in 10 mintutes!
Any advice?
time in Colorado

Re: General Update and Beano in the UK?
      #297739 - 01/23/07 12:48 PM
princess_pp83

Reged: 03/16/06

My circulation problems= I have Raynaud's Syndrome (pronounced Ray-nose) Extreme cold in the hands and feet to the point where I get 'white finger' (fingers are white and numb) and the progressive stages of it are that it can become gangrene. I suffer from this even when the rest of my body is sweating and hot (eg i have to wear wooly gloves when i train in the gym and hiking socks when out and about) I practice most of the self-help; eg taking gingko biloba and garlic, exercise, keeping hands and feet as dry as possible, having to have a heater on my hands/ feet when at home and so forth. Unfortunately, the ultimate 'cure' for Raynaud's is to live within 20 degrees of the equator! I will move abroad one day but for now I continue to suffer the English clime. Winter has properly started for us this week, so even when out shopping im wearing snowboarder jacket/gloves/hat/boots!
I'm afraid I don't know anything about the swelling you are experiencing and sorry I can't offer any adivce in that area

Digestive enzymes new
      #297741 - 01/23/07 01:10 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Do you have digestive enzymes in the UK?

Some of the digestive enzyme pills here contain the enzyme of Beano (namely alpha galactosidase) and work the same way.

Try to find a digestive enzyme pill and look for that particular enzyme in the ingredients.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 338 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review