All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS-D'ers...Success with the diet alone? new
      #297052 - 01/17/07 05:31 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I'm able to be fairly stable if I take a 1/2 tablet of Immodium daily. I'm not sure that's such a good idea because I've been feeling internal pressure which goes away if I stop taking it. I tried taking one every other day instead, but my tummy is constantly rumbly (have you heard it?) and my BMs are mush. I stopped the Immodium altogether this week because I have pain in the rectum which I believe is probably hemorroids due to straining with the D.

I follow the diet to some degree (I have an occasional chocolate, raisins, a salad with lots of bread), but wondered if anyone has been able to stop the D through diet alone. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to eat at all.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-D'ers...Success with the diet alone? new
      #297054 - 01/17/07 05:42 PM
craftymeg

Reged: 07/07/06
Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

I've been able to remain stable since I was diagnosed this past June by changing my diet and taking the SFS as well as drinking the peppermint and fennel teas. Diet was my major issue with stress and lack of exercise coming in close seconds. I have not had to resort to taking any drugs and I am hopeful that it will remain that way for a long time. It is so nice to be in control for a change, I was so miserable for so long! However, I did have to start by following the diet very strictly to become stable. Now that I am stable, I can have some chocolate almost everyday with no problems after a safe meal. It's my one luxury!

I hope you can achieve stability at some point too. Just don't give up and keep trying everything to get there! Good luck to you!

Edited by craftymeg (01/17/07 05:44 PM)

#297064 - 01/17/07 06:25 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I stabilized on diet + acacia alone. I had to be very strict with the diet to have no attacks. Since I became stable I have had somewhat more flexibility but I still avoid all trigger foods and limit myself to a bite (as in one little bite) of chocolate after dinner. Stress and travelling do affect my IBS. I have since started using Imodium and probiotics, but the diet is the main part of my stability.

Just a suggestion on the rumbly tummy and mushy BMs, you should try getting a lot more SF both from food and a supplement. And drink plenty of water, which is also good to prevent C or straining from taking Imodium.

--------------------
Kat

#297116 - 01/18/07 08:21 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

I started out with diet changes and Immodium, but was not getting results as good as I'd hoped. I still have my bad days, but adding acacia has helped.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

What are some typical meals for you? - nt (thanks!) new
      #297141 - 01/18/07 11:35 AM
Digby

#297180 - 01/18/07 03:28 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

I follow the diet to some degree

To some degree isn't enough. If you don't commit %100 to the lifestyle change (because it's not just diet) you won't get off of that Imodium.

I really don't mean to sound harsh, but it's the plain truth. Once you get stable, sometimes you can sneak a bit of something that was formerly off limits. But until then, stick to the diet and make sure that you try all the options and alternative treatments and supplements and exercises to find what works right for you.

Have you incorporated Acacia fiber into your diet or tried hypno yet? They are both very effective.

I hardly ever have to take Imodium anymore. Most of what I do is diet. I also use hypno & acacia and have made a couple of lifestyle changes.

There are some people who control IBS with diet alone. Others have to use different things to maintain. It's different from person to person and we all have to find what is right for us.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#297200 - 01/18/07 04:46 PM
Digby

I do use acacia, three times a day. I've done the hypnotherapy tapes about five times. I exercise regularly. My triggers can range from lack of sleep to stress to anxiety. I was taking a benzo for anxiety and it took me 9 hard months to get off, but I'm off and the anxiety is better.

Whenever I'm having a bad episode I go back to the "break the cycle" diet, and then ease back into other foods. But without the Immodium, I can't seem to stay stable. Sigh.

Re: IBS-D'ers...Success with the diet alone?
      #297215 - 01/18/07 06:15 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I have never taken anything for my IBS, except for herbs and remedies,, for example, I take Acidopholus (spelling?) everyday. It's a capsul of 2 billion good bacteria for your large and small intestines. When you cook food you cook off the good bacteria your body uses to digest foods, so people with IBS have a harder time digesting food. It's been helping alot. I also follow the diet probably 99.99%, I do have an occasional mini chocolate bar, and like I've said before, I am adding a bit of dairy, because my whole family has dairy instead of soy, but for the most part, I'm strictly on the diet and my "D" has gone away for the most part. I also take Papaya chewables, they are enzymes that aid in digestion. I take 3 before meals and depending on the amount of insoluble fiber, or dairy, I'll take 2 or 3 after the meal too. I don't have any problems. Hope this helps. And sorry if it's confusing

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

This is exactly how I am, I honestly can't add much more if I was writing that about myself. -nt new
      #297216 - 01/18/07 06:17 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#297229 - 01/18/07 07:49 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Sleep deprivation is a big trigger for me. How much acacia are you taking? Have you ever tried acupuncture or acupressure? I've heard of people having success with those. And also with biofeedback from time to time.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 601 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2475

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review