All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
anti-depressant, Luvox, Lactulose, Gas X Dilema new
      #291518 - 11/27/06 07:14 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi.
I have posted before, but I need some advice as this is critical.
I need to be on an SSRI at a big dosage, because of my OCD tendancies.
This the medical drugs, the only kind, that can do the job.

The problem is, there are only three options.
1) Celexia
2) Lexapro
3) Luvox

All of the other SSRI are unavailbe for reasons we don't need to explore.

Celexia caused me to be so restless, I could not sleep.
Luvox worked fine at 50 mgs, but when raised to 100 mgs I had noticably more C, Gas, and for the first time in a long while, d.

I have these two options, Celexia or Luvox.
That's all, because Lexapro is the same as Celexia.

I have spoken with my dr.
He told me that all medications have side effects, that my C problem SHOULD go away in a couple months with Luvox.
However, he wrote me a prescirption for Lactulose in case in didn't.

I want to know if any of you have had this experience, and what you can recommend.
I obviously want to treat my anxiety and OCD, not only because it would make things calmer for me, but it can help IBS.
Contrarly, I do not want to unbalance the pendulum, helping one at the expense of the other.
Nothing will frustrate me like being C or having bad IBS with all the time and dieting I have put into this.

I want to know
1) Should I go with Luvox?
-Will the C go away, normally within a month

If I do go with option 1
1a-Should I take Lactulose?
The dr. said being lactose intolerant would be irrevelant, because it is meant not to be digested
1b-Should I take Natural Calm instead?
1c-Should I take Gas-X.
1d-Should I take Lactulose or Natural Calm and Gas-X

OR

2) Take Celexia

if (2)
-Is there anything which can take care of the restlessness and not cause C?
-Most things designed to sedate cause C, and thus this would undermine the whole purpose of Celexia.
This is not to mention I am already on 50 mg of Luvox and thus it would set back the medication treatment.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re:I have OCD and am on luvox.... new
      #291574 - 11/28/06 07:00 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I find it's OK. If you can get your anxiety down, you likely will find an improvement in your IBS. As for the other things, I think you're just going to have to wait and see and experiment.
As for the restlessness, all SSRIS can cause that for a while. It should subside. Furthermore, with OCD, restlessness can be part of the package - so you may not be able to be rid of that one.
I think since you are so concerned, I would consult another Doctor. Not a GI, but a Psychiatrist who will give you better info on psychiatric meds.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#291590 - 11/28/06 08:33 AM
Naturapanic

If I might ask, what dosage are you at?
Did you ever have an C, d, or gas while on Luvox?
If so, how long did it take to subside or did you take anything to counter?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: anti-depressant, Luvox, Lactulose, Gas X Dilema new
      #291632 - 11/28/06 11:19 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I have high anxiety too. And like you, all the meds they have tried me on to treat the obsessive/anxiety has caused C because they have tended to slow things down, I guess. I take Miralax to help....but it seems contradictory to take 2 different meds to try and treat this. I get most anxious and depressed when I am C! If you find something that helps, without causing C, please post.

Also, Lexapro may not give you the same side effects as Celexa. Isn't it suppose to be a newer version with less side effects? My doctor tried me on Lexapro, but he won't put me on Celexa because he said it would most likely increase C.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#291673 - 11/28/06 03:13 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hmm... I take two pills, so I think that's 150???
It's not going to cure your IBS if that's what you're asking. It just makes my IBS bareable. If I eat a trigger, I'm still going to pay for it (D). I did find that while on effexor, my IBS disappeared significantly though I have no idea why.
I take peppermint caps, acacia and imodium to counter.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#291681 - 11/28/06 04:02 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

good options to go with, i have a few points for you to consider.
First of all Luvox is supposed to work quite well for OCD and i am sure you would be able to deal with the c in time, that being said i tried celexa for a month and it made me very drowsy and unable to sleep so i went off of it, however i am now on lexapro and though it is very close to celexa, it has the other isomer taken out and for some reason that makes a smaller dose more effective. the first 3 weeks i had big sleeping issues, i would wake up at 4 am and then the rest of my sleep was useless and restless, but that went away a week later and now i am doing really well with it, my ocd tendencies with germs are controllable and my ibs is much better with the supplements i am taking and the reduced anxiety from the med, my vote is for lexapro, however my mothers best friend takes luvox and says she has her life back as well, so her vote is for luvox, my doc didn't want me on it as he thinks its too old school and the somewhat newer ones are better suited to me. So thats my story and input. I would try the natural calm as your body needs magnesium anyways and take gas-x as needed. if you are not taking probiotics and digestive enzymes do try to eventually get some of those into your system too. Good luck.

#291702 - 11/28/06 07:26 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

good options to go with, i have a few points for you to consider.
First of all Luvox is supposed to work quite well for OCD and i am sure you would be able to deal with the c in time, that being said i tried celexa for a month and it made me very drowsy and unable to sleep so i went off of it, however i am now on lexapro and though it is very close to celexa, it has the other isomer taken out and for some reason that makes a smaller dose more effective. the first 3 weeks i had big sleeping issues, i would wake up at 4 am and then the rest of my sleep was useless and restless, but that went away a week later and now i am doing really well with it, my ocd tendencies with germs are controllable and my ibs is much better with the supplements i am taking and the reduced anxiety from the med, my vote is for lexapro, however my mothers best friend takes luvox and says she has her life back as well, so her vote is for luvox, my doc didn't want me on it as he thinks its too old school and the somewhat newer ones are better suited to me. So thats my story and input. I would try the natural calm as your body needs magnesium anyways and take gas-x as needed. if you are not taking probiotics and digestive enzymes do try to eventually get some of those into your system too. Good luck.

1) What supplements do use for IBS?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: anti-depressant, Luvox, Lactulose, Gas X Dilema
      #291729 - 11/28/06 08:54 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i take primal defense as probiotic
i take future formulation vegetarian enzymes
i take fish oil capsules
i used to take tummy fibre, but no longer need it
i take quercetin for my allergoes, but it seems to have helped my bowel movements, i think maybe because it helps with the bodies histamine response so my body is reacting to less things.
i take a multivitamin
i take an iron and B-12 supplement
I take l-glutamine (seems to have helped a lot)

ones to try that may also help are turmeric

#291851 - 11/29/06 02:11 PM
Naturapanic

So is Lexapro or Celexia less likely to cause C?

If I take Luvoc, is it likely having something besides Acadia, like Lactulose, will more than offset any C problems?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 599 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review