All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Medication new
      #277749 - 08/09/06 10:36 AM
funmom

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: California

I'm new here! I've suffered on and off for 10 years with IBS- mostly Constipated. I've done really good the past few years with just a few of the "LABOR PAIN" bad attacks and that's usually after a few days of no or very small bowel movements. Of course I deal with the constipation almost daily. I am trying the diet the last few days and have started the fiber again.........I know I need to be more diligent about making sure I take my fiber daily and drinking enough water. I just started Wellbutrin XL 2 wks ago as I deal with anxiety/nervous/anger and at times I have to take Vicodin due to my IBS pain.........my doctor has suggested Zelnorm but I'd rather not have to take any more meds than I already do.......My question is do any of you take Zelnorm? What do you do when the pain gets so severe that you almost pass out? What do you all take for pain??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Honestly... new
      #277814 - 08/09/06 08:29 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I never took anything for the pain. Even when it was so bad that I couldn't stand and could hardly breathe, I just stuck it out.

Most of the "good" painkillers are terribly constipating - you might talk to your doctor and see if he/she can recommend anything that isn't constipating. Narcotic painkillers are supposedly worse, but I've had terrible problems in the past from the non-narcotic ones as well. Sorry, I know that isn't very helpful, but then again, neither are the painkillers! LOL I'd far rather tough out the pain than take anything that's going to ultimately make the problem worse.

Try doing a board search for Zelnorm - there are people on here who have taken it in the past, but I can't recall their specific experiences off the top of my head.

The diet, fiber, and plenty of water are all very important too... the most important part about it is to do it all and stick with it. Many people get discouraged when they don't have fast results, and quit - you HAVE to hang in there and keep with it for lasting results. It's worth the wait.

Good luck, and hopefully someone else will come along who's more helpful with the meds issue!

Re: Medication new
      #277826 - 08/10/06 06:19 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Have you read through the site? Heather is pain-predominant, and in her books she describes times where she passed out from IBS pain.

She swears by peppermint (tea and capsules) for pain, and it does work miracles for my somewhat-different crampy pains (far better than any OTC painkiller, at least). If you haven't tried it, I really suggest buying her tea and caps and seeing how that helps. I'm also a big fan of heating pads for cramping pain.

--AC

#277835 - 08/10/06 06:58 AM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I've tried Zelnorm, but it didn't do anything for me. I just got cramps from it. I started taking Triphala, a little flaxseed oil, and fiber pills (FiberCon), which does help with C. When my C's helped, my pain seems to subside. Peppermint and ginger help tremendously for me (for pain). I hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#277836 - 08/10/06 07:15 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

I am IBS C - I tried Zelnorm when I was first diagnosed. All it really did for me then is make me have terrible D for a few days, then back to the C with no improvement.

I just simply stick it out when I do have an attack, which is getting rare. Once I got stable on Heather's Acacia (it took about 2 weeks of bloating and gas, but completely worth it now) and watch my diet, I'm pretty good. I don't necessarily recommend this, and not sure if its completely safe, but it makes me feel so much better....what I do, when I'm cramping or have really bad bloating that gas-x won't get rid of, is take 1/4 of a Zelnorm. It doesn't really make me go, but I guess 'gets things moving' and slowly the pain starts to subside. Again, this probably isn't healthy, but sometimes I'm desperate! I only do this if its really bad though.

I personally recommend keeping up and getting stable with the Acacia. Start out with a little, and slowly increase. I didn't do this the first time around, got frustrated and gave up. But once I realized if I could get through a week or so of my body adjusting, I stuck with it!

Good luck!~

#277856 - 08/10/06 09:05 AM
funmom

I have been doing the peppermint tea and the peppermint capsules and am still having SEVERE pain. I would love to just stay at home in the bathroom and alternate between the toilet and hot baths as that is the only thing that seems to help a bit but with a full time job (as a office mgr of a busy elementary school - great, huh) and 4 kids, that's not entirely possible. I did start using ICY HOT on my tummy - sounds strange but it helps a little. I am considering ZELNORM but not sure if I should wait until I start taking the Acacia Tummy Fiber for a bit and then see how I do. This pain is just killing me!

#277858 - 08/10/06 09:08 AM
funmom

I haven't received the ACACIA yet (just ordered it yesterday) but is it better than Metamucil?? That seems to bloat me and Heather says it's because Psyllium does that and Acacia won't.

#277860 - 08/10/06 09:17 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Have you tried antispasmodics? I'm also IBS-C, and when I get a painful attack, I typically take one or two dicycolmine (bentyl) pills, and it helps a lot. Not necessarily immediately, but within ~30 minutes. Painkillers are way too constipating for me, so I never take them. I won't even take advil anymore for that reason!

HTH,
Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Medication
      #277863 - 08/10/06 09:36 AM
funmom

I used Bentyl YEARS ago and don't remember how well I did but I've done so good for soooo long that I stopped taking everything. I do remember that when I did use Bentyl it was every day..........maybe that was not the best thing....maybe I should only have it when the problems come.............like I say, with diet and exercise (and fiber) I'm usually okay.......I can even eat "bad" foods and be fine.........but once in a while my stress elevates and my tummy clenches up and I don't "go" for awhile and then when I do.....it's the most painful experience ever. Thanks for the advice.......I've been using ALEVE and VICODIN like nobody's business and it hasn't helped much at all.

#277938 - 08/10/06 05:31 PM
MaryABR

Reged: 07/24/06
Loc: Stafford, Virginia

I've been on and off Zelnorm a few times since I was diagnosed last December. By the end of the first cycle, I was regular, but still had a lot of cramps (I'm IBS-C). Second time it did nothing. I'm on it now and it seems to help a bit with regularity, but I noticed a HUGE difference with bloating and gas by increasing my fiber intake, drinking fennel tea, and taking a vitamin C and magnesium supplement. I also follow Heather's diet, but I have less food triggers than most people. Zelnorm may help you through a bad C period, though, and I haven't had any side effects. It's certainly worth a try.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4187

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review