Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eliminating Helibactor Pylori Bacterium new
      #270663 - 06/22/06 11:59 PM
lorien

Reged: 05/15/06
Loc: Wales, U.K

Hi,

Does anyone know of any non medication ways of getting rid of this bacteria?

This bacteria is said to be the cause of erosions in my stomach, causing gastritis.

Orthodox drug approach would be ant acids followed by 3 antibiotics at one ~ ugh! Sounds very harsh!

Thanks for any input!

Joanna

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

As far as I know... new
      #270741 - 06/23/06 11:01 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Antibiotics are the only way to get rid of it. But if I'm wrong, someone will definitely come along and correct me.

The antibiotics would be harsh, but there are ways to counteract the effects, such as taking probiotics. Ultimately, it would probably be better to take them and get rid of the bacteria, and deal with setting your system straight again afterwards. That's how I see it, anyway. But anyhow, if you do a board search, no time limit, you'll find lots of helpful information about dealing with the effects of antibiotics. Good luck!

Re: As far as I know... new
      #270756 - 06/23/06 12:53 PM
kmk

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: NY

Correct.

There are 8 treatment options approved by the FDA for H.pylori. They are basically 1 to 2 antibiotics plus a proton pump inhibitor for 10-12 days. There probably is no alternative to these meds since you need an antibiotic to kill the bacteria. If that is what you have, it should be treated. Although the treatment does sound harsh, you may actually find your symptoms better once finished. Without getting too complex, the bacteria can cause the immune system to be in a constant state of "activation" which can ultimately lead to exacerbated IBS symptoms.

--------------------
Here...there....everywhere

Re: Eliminating Helibactor Pylori Bacterium new
      #270765 - 06/23/06 03:48 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

What kind of test did the doctor run to find this?

After taking the antibiotics maybe taking probiotics on a regualr basis would help?

H. Pylori - thanks - and more info for your interest........ new
      #270815 - 06/24/06 09:12 AM
lorien

Thanks for your replies to my query re more friendly ways of dealing with H. Pylori.

Gracie, you asked me how I was tested ~ a biopsy during an endoscopy.

Since I sent my email here I received some info from my nutritionist with info on some supplements that could be an alternative to the antacid and 3 antibiotics approach.

One supplement is a herbal mixture called BIO HPF, and this is the one that deals with the bacterium. The other is SANO GASTRIL (soy fermented in acidophilus), and which minimises acid in the stomach (which the bacterium live on).

For those of you who don't know (as I didn't before now!), H. Pylori is a bacteria that many of us have in our stomachs and that in some can cause ulcers.

I don't know which route I'll go for yet, but if I try the non drug route I'll let you know if it works!

Joanna

Re: H. Pylori - thanks - and more info for your interest........ new
      #270826 - 06/24/06 01:15 PM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

Joanna,

I didn't know about this bacteria until now. I'm sorry about that...What ever route you take I hope you start feeling better fast. I like the supplements approach much better. Antibiotics don't agree with me.

Keep me posted.
Hugs and blessings,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

Re: Eliminating Helibactor Pylori Bacterium
      #270851 - 06/24/06 07:29 PM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

I was treated for H. Pylori years ago with 2 antibiotics and a PPI. I felt MUCH better after treatment. Pepto Bismol has been used for H. Pylori, but I'm not sure how effective it is. It has something to do with the bismuth in the Pepto.

Good luck!

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

Home testing for Helibactor Pylori Bacterium new
      #270882 - 06/25/06 08:07 AM
lorien

I have just discovered that it's possible to buy a home testing kit for H. Pylori bacteria.

Re: Home testing for Helibactor Pylori Bacterium new
      #270887 - 06/25/06 08:43 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

I haven't heard of the home test kits. The accuracy of these may need to be researched. I was under the assumption that once you test positive and are treated for H. Pylori, any further blood tests are inaccurate. This is because you will always carry the antibodies for the bacteria causing a false positive. I think the only accurate way to test for recurrent H. Pylori is a biopsy during an endoscopy. But I'm not a doctor, so that should be something that should be discussed with him/her.

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

Lissylou! Home testing for Helibactor Pylori Bacterium new
      #270920 - 06/25/06 03:26 PM
lorien

Thanks very much for your mails ~ both of which have been very helpful.

I can certainly see what you're saying about the positive antibodies, and will indeed research this further.

Joanna

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1060 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review