All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS Newbie new
      #232229 - 12/17/05 07:25 AM
Lannie

Reged: 12/17/05
Loc: Florida

Hi everyone, I am a newly diagnosed IBS victim. I thought I had the stomach flu a few days before Thanksgiving, but it never went away. The doc says sometimes the stomach flu triggers IBS. He prescribed me Bentyl and took blood and stool samples. A week later I went back to see him because I wasn't getting better and to see what the test results were. Well he said everything was fine and to keep taking the Bentyl. The Bentyl doesn't seem to be working. I have been on it now for 2 weeks and today I wake up with the cramps and diarrea again. The medication dries my mouth out, makes me dizzy, and I see blurry. I hate it. I'm only taking 40mg 3 times a day. I'm going to drop down to 20mg 3 times a day to see if the side effects are not as harsh. I apologize if this isn't where this post goes, but I didn't see any place else to introduce myself and my problem. Oh yea, the doc says it may take a few months before I see results. I'm starting a new job after Christmas that I have waited my whole life to do and I am terrified that my stomach will ruin it for me. I feel terrible today and everday I lose confidence that I will be better by my start date. Thank you in advance. I am looking forward to making new friends here.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome! new
      #232236 - 12/17/05 08:24 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Nice to meet you!

Do the diet - seriously. You'll have to give up some foods, you'll have to learn how to like others, but it is SO worth it in the end. Also, start a soluble fiber supplement ASAP, and keep taking your Bentyl. I have severe IBS, and a year and a half ago, I almost ended up in the hospital because food wouldn't stay in me. Today I've got my life back, and it's mostly because of the IBS diet, and the lifestyle advice given on this site. It can happen for you too, but it does take a little work and a lot of patience.

Welcome again!

Re: HI!
      #232239 - 12/17/05 08:45 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Welcome! Sorry this happened to you!

It happened to me the same way in 2003. I got a stomach bug and it NEVER went away. So, now I have IBS-D and I'm on Pamine Forte. It's working pretty good. Sometimes it makes me C, though! Maybe you could ask your doctor about that if the Bentyl isn't working for you. I was on Levsin before this one, and it didn't do a thing for me either.

Casey is right.....do the diet on this site. It's a pain in the butt, but it will get you better faster than drugs, in my opinion. And after going through many Soluble Fiber Supplements, I decided on Citrucel "Clear" (without the citric acid). It works best on my D, but alot of people like Benefiber, too. So, either one of those is best for D, I think.

Good Luck and Welcome. We're all here for you!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: IBS Newbie new
      #232248 - 12/17/05 10:10 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hi, I hope you feel better soon. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress over it too much, it will only make your symptoms worse.

In addition to the diet and fibre supplement as recommended by Atomic Rose, also look into getting a good probiotic. The probiotic takes about 3 months before you may see some difference, but it helped me a lot. The fibre supplements recommended by the others are very good, but the one that has worked good for me so far is FibreSmart by Renew Life, and for probiotics I use Primal Defense by Garden of Life.

Good luck and let us know your progress.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 713 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 846

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review