All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Nexium question (Wind, maybe???) new
      #225258 - 11/15/05 04:24 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Hey gang! For all you Nexium gurus out there....I have a hiatal hernia (newly diagnosed) and have been prescribed Nexium 40mg and it's been 5 days and I don't think it's helping at all. Maybe a little bit, but I'm still having a really hard time with this reflux. I'm still taking a ton of Gaviscon to keep the acid down, on top of taking the Nexium. Should I give it more time or is it supposed to be working by now. Help???
Thanks in advance!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nexium question (Wind, maybe???) new
      #225278 - 11/15/05 05:49 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'd still give it some time. I didn't really feel the difference until after 2 weeks had passed. Like you, I still used/use tons of other over the counter stuff, but much less!

I find also that taking intensive enzyme pills with food really helps too. It just "organizes" the process of digesting food. I know that when I take them in conjunction with Nexium, I have less reflux/acid.

Also, I note that Nexium wears off by the end of the day...for me, it only lasts about 10 hours. Perhaps that's what you're experiencing?

Kate.

Re: Thanks Kate! new
      #225283 - 11/15/05 06:17 PM
anlikerm

Wow, you responded quick! I was reading some prior posts that you made about the Nexium so I was hoping you would read this before it got lost in the shuffle.....Okay, good. I will wait it out, then. I have tried all the others (PPI's) and I experience too many bad side effects from them to be able to continue taking them. But, the Nexium I don't experience any negative side effects. I just feel like it doesn't work.

I take it in the morning, wait an hour before eating and as soon as I put something in my mouth, the burping begins. Probably because my system is so empty by then. It's not as bad as it has been before Nexium, but it's still frustrating.....and after I get all the gas out of my stomach after taking a few gaviscon then I feel better and can finish eating. Have you ever experienced something like this??? I can't tell if it's heartburn or not. I taste the food when the gas comes up, so I figure it's my hiatal hernia.....I don't know.

The GI guy said my endoscopy did not show any esophagitis or gastritis but sometimes I swear it feels like my esophagus is so irritated......wierd, huh?? OH, yea and by the end of the night, I'm popping 4 Gaviscon just so I can lay down and sleep. It definitely wears off by the end of the day, I can tell.
Thanks Kate!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Thanks Kate! new
      #225346 - 11/16/05 05:47 AM
Wind

Yup--that sounds like me. It's funny that you mention the burping thing--I get that too. Or, a sort of "hiccup." It's like there's a frog or a troll trapped in me.

I have that "raw" esophagus feeling, too.

On those days, I only consume kate-friendly foods, kate-safe foods. I know you have your own stand-by list of safe and sure foods.

Sometimes, it takes awhile, I think for the Nexium to "dissolve." I'm not sure about this theory, though. As far as PPIs go, it's the best one I've used. It's weird--somedays it works (actually most) and others are just "lost" somehow. I know I simply cannot eat as much in one sitting. Do you get that fullness feeling faster than before?

I know that if my transit time is lagging, acid builds up. Normally that's not too much of a problem, though.

Sometimes, I get these waves of nausea, but I'm not sure if that's Nexium related or not.

My WORST time is around 2-4 a.m. I literally wake up NAUSEATED and ready to vomit, but my stomach is empty (it's just acid) and so I down either Rolaids or take Pepto. or Malox or Gaviscon or Pepcid.

Sometimes, I think that for some people, it never goes away.
This isn't very helpful, I know and I appologize. You're not alone, especially with that burping thing, although mine includes the hiccups. It's probably asthma-steroid and drug related, too, I think, for me.

Kate.

Another thing that really helps, Michelle new
      #225348 - 11/16/05 05:55 AM
Wind

I know that taking intensive digestive enzymes hugely helps.

When I take them, the chances of me having acid/reflux are probably reduced by over 80 percent. It basically organizes the process of digesting food--the right "juices" for the right foods, i.e. amylase for carbs/starches, protease for protein, cellulase for fiber/cellulose, etc., etc.

I'm referring to something more potent that Beano.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Honestly, when I use them consistently, in conjunction with Nexium, my upsets are significantly reduced. I still get those croaking burpy hiccups and they're really weird/annoying.

Kate.

Re: Thanks Kate!
      #225350 - 11/16/05 06:23 AM
anlikerm

Yep, last night I woke up really sick at 3:00am! I took 4 Gaviscon and 4 pepto and I felt better after about an hour. I hate doing that. It messed up the rest of my night.....I'm so tired!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Another thing that really helps, Michelle new
      #225352 - 11/16/05 06:26 AM
anlikerm

I have digest gold, but they seem to burn my system right now because of the protease. I used to take the 3 times a day when I was stable and now they are upsetting my stomach so I have laid off of them for now. I also found that if I took them with my meals that I would get acid reflux but if I took them between my meals on an empty stomach, I wouldn't even feel them in my system at all. The lady at the health food store told me to do that since I had so many digestive problems. She said it would be better for me to take them in between meals and my body would store the enzymes for later, when I needed them. Ever heard of that???
Thanks Kate!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#225403 - 11/16/05 09:44 AM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I just thought I would pop in my two cents. I have a hital hernia that was diagnosed about 5 years ago and I was the same way it would wake me up at night. I started off taking Prevacid and that worked for a while but then it started up again. I then started taking Nexium and it really does work. It does take awhile but it will help. Something else you might try is lifting the head of your bed. I know they tell you to do that and you don't think it will work but trust me it does. Laying down flat causes more acid to build up and if you are elevated there won't be as much to build. Try that and see if it helps.

It does get better and I am now taking Achiphex as my insurance doesn't cover alot for the Nexium and I can't afford to buy it anymore.

I hope this helps and you do start feeling better.

--------------------
Michelle

#225414 - 11/16/05 11:51 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Wow, this post is helpful!

So I have GERD too. Can I join the club

I'd like to try enzymes...but where to start?

I'm trying Sweetish Bitters...is that considered enzymes?

Thanks!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#225428 - 11/16/05 12:25 PM
anlikerm

Thanks Mitch! I ate a bowl of rice cereal last night before I went to bed because I was starving to death. That's what woke me up so sick. I also take Elavil at bedtime and I think that contributes to the acid. It hurts so bad......I don't like waking up feeling sick like that in the middle of the night. Anyway, thanks for your two cents and the advice about the Nexium. It's day 6 and I'm still not feeling too much better. Better than yesterday, but not a whole lot. I still can't eat much without hurting like hell an hour and a half later.....
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5123

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review