All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Any C's have good remedies/supplements to take with meals to prevent fullness and bloating? new
      #190781 - 06/30/05 09:28 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I use digestive enzymes, probiotics, nothing really seems to "work". Maybe some gas-x or something? I'm trying to eat smaller meals through the day, but I still can't get over the fullness and bloating that much when I do eat. Any suggestions?

Jessica

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any C's have good remedies/supplements to take with meals to prevent fullness and bloating?
      #190787 - 07/01/05 02:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I find fennel tea very helpful myself - drinking loads atm as I've been taking alot of painkillers and am soooo stopped up.

Re: Any C's have good remedies/supplements to take with meals to prevent fullness and bloating? new
      #190794 - 07/01/05 04:59 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi Jessica!
Yes, the bloating is BAD! I've given a name to my belly at this point! I agree with Linz, as fennel tea is def helpful for gas/bloating. I also take Beano and digestive enzymes before each meal. I also take multiple Gas-x throughout the day. Definitely the bloating has been helped, but I do think it may be the toughest symptom to treat!

Good luck!

Re: Any C's have good remedies/supplements to take with meals to prevent fullness and bloating? new
      #190802 - 07/01/05 06:05 AM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

Oh, I know that feeling!! First thing to try when you're eating, is to eat slower. Take small bites, chew them well before swallowing, maybe pause between bites. My hubby is trying to slow down his eating habits too. This may not be an issue for you, but if you DO tend to eat fast, then your stomach fills up before your brain realizes it. By eating slowly, you tend to realize when your stomach is starting to get full, and you can stop before you eat too much.
Also, I always keep gas-x in the house. Not necessarily that brand...I just look for whatever brand has the highest amount of simethicone in it. I also try to drink a cup of hot tea before and/or after a meal....usually either a peppermint/fennel tea, or I just got Stomach Ease from Yogi teas, and that's real good. Ginger tea is really good if you like the taste...Stomach Ease has ginger, peppermint & fennel in it, so I drink that. The only other thing you can try is heat. Sometimes I'll run a hot bath & take my hot tea in with me, and the heat will help some. Or try a heating pad.
Bloating/fullness is one of the hardest symptoms to treat I think! Good luck & let us know if you find anything else that helps!

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

#190813 - 07/01/05 07:30 AM
grayse2

Reged: 06/30/05
Loc: Louisiana

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this board, and this is my first time posting, so I hope I am posting on the right board? About me: I am recovering from a mild concussion, due to passing-out from the pain associated with IBS. This was the first time I had no warning that I was going to pass-out, but thank God my husband was with me at the time. I found this site by doing research for a good friend of mine who suffers with IBS terribly, and for some reason, I never gave it any thought that this is what I had, or maybe I did't want to admit I had it. At any rate, both myself, and my DH, are starting to eat differently, and look forward to feeling better. I can't go through what I went through last Saturday. I do not have the book yet, so I still really don't know all the in's and out's of how, what, and when to eat it all, but I'm attempting to do things differently with the info I have available to me through this site. We plan on getting the book this evening, and read it together. You know, when I started reading Heather's story, and read that she fainted, it was good to know that I am not alone in this, and there is help out there. I suffer with a lot of the gas and bloating, and go back and forth with C and D, but mainly C, and I agree that the gas and bloating (G/BL or G BL)seem to be the hardest to control because it seems like everything causes it, at least right now, anyways. Zucchini has become my best friend as it's so easy on my digestive tract. It's nice to have a place to come to talk with others' who understand the problems you are going through with the IBS. I look forward to meeting and getting to know everyone, and to feeling better soon.

#190820 - 07/01/05 08:40 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

what brand of digestive enzymes do you take? Also, have you considered taking a probiotic? I am trying PB8 and have also tried Jarrow. I'm not sure if they are doing anything at all though. Some even say they cause more bloat...but Shannon swears they have reduced her pain/bloat by 90%!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#190823 - 07/01/05 08:45 AM
Augie

Are you using a good brand probiotic and digestive enzyme? Maybe you should try a different brand of each. I have read studies where some probiotics just don't live up to the what they promise as far as live cultures really being present.

Jessica, if you come to any solutions or anything that helps, please post! I have major problems with this as well. Maybe I should try more gas X.

I would suggest charcoal tabs, but I don't think those are safe long term. They absorb too many good things, including any meds you may be on. This is why they give it to people who OD!

--------------------
~ Beth

Linz, does fennel help you have BMs... new
      #190825 - 07/01/05 08:54 AM
Augie

or does it just help with bloat?

--------------------
~ Beth

Both I think... new
      #190837 - 07/01/05 10:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...maybe by breaking up the gas it helps get the poop moving??? It's certainly my favourite thing for when I go C...I HATE being C.

#190936 - 07/01/05 04:58 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

The probiotic is called Nutraceutical Sciences Institute and has 5 billion microorganisms per capsule...take that twice per day and the digestive enzymes are by Ultra Plan..plant based digestive enzymes. I've tried so many I don't know what to do. I'm going to take some gas-x right now I think. I can't wait to see my doctor again, but that's not until August 2nd...to see what he can suggest. This sucks....I'm going to try something else...I'll let you know what I come up with.

Jessica

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1477

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review