All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
16 Glasses of water?!?
      #188281 - 06/22/05 10:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

In the recent newsletter it states "make it your goal to drink 16 full glasses of water each day". Can some one provide a reference to research that supports this notion?

Recent literature suggests that 8 glasses of 'liquids' (including tea, coffee, etc) is more than enough to maintain hydration. The reason for this is that most research has not included the water content in the food we consume.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 16 Glasses of water?!? new
      #188301 - 06/22/05 10:57 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

8 is enough for normal people. IBSers need much more, mostly because so much of C and D is related to the amount of water in the intestines. Think about it this way: If you are C, your intestines are absorbing way too much water out of your stool, and they can't move. If you are D, you are losing a lot of water because it's moving out of your system too fast for you intestines to absorb any. Either way, you need to drink a lot more water than a normal person in order to compensate.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#188354 - 06/22/05 01:21 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I wonder what the definition of a glass is too. I actually measured the 8 ounces needed for my acacia fiber the other day and was shocked at how small 8 ounces really is. My bottle of water holds 16.

#188366 - 06/22/05 01:55 PM
Stephany

Reged: 06/07/05

I would like to know how you all drink that much liquid and manage to sleep all night without several trips to the bathroom...I have to go 3 - 4 times during the night now and I go like I have been saving it up all day!

#188378 - 06/22/05 02:42 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I drink most of my water early in the day and try to stop a couple of hours before bed. That seems to help. Plus these days I rarely sleep more than 6.5 hours a night anyway, so I usually make it.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

3 or 4 times isn't bad new
      #188406 - 06/22/05 04:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I do the opposite of Amanda Panda because I work outside and cannot use a bathroom often I drink more in afternoons and evening, especially after dinner. So I pee a lot at night. It is worth it.
About liquid amounts: actually doctors recommend -for normal people- to drink in ounces half of what you weigh in pounds. If you weigh 130 then that is 8 glasses minimum- more for hot weather or exercise- and definitely more for IBSers. It really does depend on your size! My husband being twice as big as me means he should drink and eat so much more. I would never need as much water as him. So liquid intake is all relative.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#188415 - 06/22/05 05:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

With IBS-D, I find that staying well hydrated is important. I also find that migraines are decreased with hydration. I don't find it difficult to take in that quantity of fluid.

Yup, I've had my 16 today :-) new
      #188436 - 06/22/05 06:28 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I have 16 (8 oz) glasses each day for a total of 128 oz.

Honestly, it's just 8 normal size water bottles (Dasani or whatever). That even gets you a little extra, because I believe those bottles are 16.9 oz. (I can't always get the last bit out though, so I think it comes out even for me.)

I drink one 16 oz water bottle every hour and a half, from 9 am to 9 pm. I stop drinking out of habit and just drink if I want some with food/ brushing my teeth or whatever after 9 pm, to eliminate the having to pee in the night. I usually make it through the night just fine, but believe me peeing is definitely my first thought after I turn off the alarm!

How much are you usually drinking now? The first 3-4 days to a week can seem hard, especially it this is a major increase. After that, your bladder adjusts and it gets much easier. I'm D, so during that time, as many times as I had to go to the bathroom, I was just glad it was to pee! With D, if you have to go, sometimes you can't help yourself. Having to pee has much more warning, so you can go more "at your convinience". Lol. Ah, the things you can suddenly start to take for granted.

I believe all the water has helped my D, but mostly, it just makes be feel better all-over, as I used to be so draggy and dehydrated. I feel generally stronger and more ready to meet the day now.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

#188442 - 06/22/05 06:36 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Eight 8-oz glasses a day is adequate for a person of about 130lbs who doesn't have IBS.

The general guideline for a totally healthy person is 1/2 oz of fluids for each pound of body weight. So if you weigh 150lbs and you don't have IBS, 75oz a day would be your MINIMUM goal, rather than the 64oz.

IBSers need more water than that, as someone else so wisely pointed out. We don't absorb water in our intestines the way a perfectly healthy person would, and we have to consume more to compensate, no matter which direction (C or D) our bowels swing.

And by the way, coffee, tea, and soda shouldn't be counted as part of your daily fluids anyway. First of all, they're all terrible GI tract irritants and triggers for IBS, and we should therefore stay away from them. But second, the caffeination is a diuretic and therefore dehydrating, which defeats the purpose.

I have no problems getting in roughly 100oz of water, herbal tea, etc a day. Start drinking when you wake up, don't stop till you fall asleep. LOL! I don't even get up in the middle of the night to pee anymore. In most cases, it's rough at first, but your body adjusts.

Re: Yup, I've had my 16 today :-)
      #188486 - 06/22/05 09:03 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

I agree with everything she said!! I start drinking my water first thing in the morning, and it's the ONLY thing I drink all day. The occasional exception is herb tea, when my tummy's upset. The first couple weeks were hard, I was having to use the bathroom constantly...but your bladder WILL adjust, and you'll find your potty breaks diminish. I won't touch a Coke anymore...a big no no on the diet anyways...but I used to be addicted to the stuff. I'm afraid one drink, and I'll be off my water again. I never liked water before...drink it consistently for at least a week, and you'll get used to it, and then you'll start craving it. I drink the 16.9 oz bottles all day too, and I drink a minimum of 5 bottles a day, usually more. It has helped me feel ALOT better, C wise, and energy wise. Fewer headaches too.

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 705 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41024

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review