All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Talked to my GI doc, claims he knows the cause of IBS
      #182116 - 05/31/05 07:17 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I used to post here a lot, but not so much lately.

Anyway, I was diagnosed IBS-C (pain/bloating dominating symptoms) last July after the complete GI work-up. My doc prescribed Zelnorm for me. Before I could start the first dose, I found out I was pregnant. I got pg in July, had a miscarriage in September, and am now pregnant and due in July.

My IBS has gotten 10 times worse after becoming pregnant. I'm miserable and all my OBGYN tells me is fiber fiber fiber, and water water water. Well, they don't help me. Believe me, I've tried.

So, I made an appt with my GI doc again and he says that there's nothing he can do until after I give birth. Then he will start me on Zelnorm, which is a seratonin regulator (I think) and that is the cause of IBS. He also said that Zelnorm will only work if the first dose is taken on a fully evacuated bowel. So in August, after I have my baby, I will go back in for another colonoscopy (yay, another bowel prep) and then start Zelnorm.

I'm just posting here to get all of your thoughts on this. I haven't used Zelnorm before, but part of me is really looking forward to it because many of his patients have had success with it. Part of me just wishes that I could go about taming this IBS beast drug-free. I'm also doing hypnotherapy and really like how relaxed the CDs make me feel, but I haven't felt any real relief yet. I'm on day 60 or so.

Thanks for reading.

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Talked to my GI doc, claims he knows the cause of IBS new
      #182141 - 05/31/05 08:24 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Jules, congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time. Have you tried fennel tea for the bloating and gas? It must be really awful while pregnant. I know that while I was pregnant I had really embarrassing gas and that was without the IBS aggravating it!
For the fennel tea, crush up a tablespoon of seeds and steep in a mug of boiling water.
Peppermint tea is also good. Are you taking a soluble fiber supplement?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#182146 - 05/31/05 08:29 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I have been taking a natural seratonin supplement called 5-hpt that has been a big help to me. I did a 6 week round of Zelnorm, but after about a week, it did nothing for me. There are also a lot of FDA warnings that were posted about that drug in the research library.

I know the C is a lot harder to control sometimes than the D, but I'd really try to find supplements to take instead of the Zelnorm. It would be a lot safer for you and baby, especially if you are considering breast feeding.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#182225 - 05/31/05 12:14 PM
jules

Thanks for your responses. I asked my doctor if it were safe for me to drink fennel tea while pregnant, and she told me no. But she has also recommended to me: Ex-lax, suppositories, peri-colace and a number of other laxatives. Out of desperation, I've tried them a couple of times, but I'm afraid of what it will do to my baby and also my digestive tract. Did you drink fennel tea while pregnant? I'm guessing that my doc doesn't know/isn't interested in learning about IBS and what havoc pregnancy wreaks on an IBSer. I'm not currently taking a SFS. I've tried many in the past, and in different amounts and it just plain seems to make things worse. So I'm taking a break from that right now.

I tried 5-HPT a whille back and don't remember any significant improvement in my symptoms, but I do know that a while back I was very impatient. I also may have taken it with other supplements (I've tried a LOT) and should probably try one thing at a time.

My GI said that I can't take Zelnorm while pregnant because it could cause me to abort. What do you know about 5-HTP? I have a OBGYN appointment tomorrow and will ask her about Zelnorm (while breastfeeding) and 5-HPT (while pregnant and breastfeeding), but I wondered if you knew anything about it.

I have only six more weeks of being pregnant (or less, I'm hoping I go early!) and I think I can handle things until then. But, my god, do I have some BAD days! I've cried myself to sleep at night more times than I can count because of the pain and of the seemingly never-ending battle with this horrible condition. It truly isn't fair that we have to deal with this.

Hope you both are doing well.

Thanks again!

--------------------
~jules

Fennel tea is absolutely safe during pregnancy - it's also given to newborn infants new
      #182231 - 05/31/05 12:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

for colic.

Zelnorm is only 5-15% more effective than a placebo - it's definitely not a wonder drug for most people, and it has serious risks and side effects. There's a whole page on it in the glossary here http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/zelnorm.asp

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

ginger tea? new
      #182234 - 05/31/05 12:26 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i know it's not the same as fennel, but my friend was advised ginger tea....which i know helps with different problems, but it makes my tummy feel happy

heather/ additional re: zelnorm new
      #182239 - 05/31/05 12:43 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

fyi: heather. my therapist, who also has 2 nursing degrees, says she is seeing 'in the pipeline' that it's only a matter of time until zelnorm will be permanently pulled from the US market. remember 'good ole' propulsid.' that was pulled for dangerous outcomes, also.

i am one for whom zelnorm actually scared me for the 3 days i somehow managed to keep taking it. d + major flu smptoms. i know some say hang in, this will pass, but i have to really wonder about ANY drug that can cause something that extreme!

i feel your suggestions are the better/ much safer way to go. (pun intended.)

don't want to ruin others days re: zelnorm, but just so they will keep it in mind that this may indeed happen, and, have a contingency plan.

#182242 - 05/31/05 12:51 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Since pregnancy was not an issue while introducing these supplements, I really don't know how they interact. Just tell the gyn what you are dealing with.

I just recently found a gyn who understands how supplements work with meds, so was able to get good input on interaction with birth control.

Wish I could be more help!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: ginger tea?
      #182243 - 05/31/05 12:51 PM
jules

Thanks again for your speedy responses. I am going to pick up some fennel tea on my way home. I remember that it used to work for me before I got pregnant.

I am leery of taking Zelnorm, just because of what I've heard second-hand. I'm going to check out that article link and bring it into my doctor. He seemed hell-bent on Zelnorm being the only remedy for me. I asked if this was something that I would need to take indefinitely, and he said "yes", then went on to say "well, you're only supposed to take it for eight weeks, but not one of my patients would be willing to be taken off of it after that period of time. They felt such relief."

Heather, what do you know about 5-HTP? I will do a search on the Web and this Web site when I have more time, but I was curious as to what you have read/heard about it.

I've tried the Ginger tea and it gave me really bad heartburn. But, I have found this product called Ginger Wonder (or something similar) and it tastes great and does not give me heartburn.

As I said in my original post, I'm on day 60 of the hypnotherapy and I have high hopes for relief from that. Hopefully, having this baby will help lessen the IBS symptoms. I feel that my symptoms lean more toward pain/bloating than constipation. But, I'm guessing that I have the pain/bloating from being constipated — and from this little boy trying to make a temporary home for himself while he's growing. :0)

Thanks again. I SO appreciate all the information that I have learned on these boards.

--------------------
~jules

Re: ginger tea?
      #182249 - 05/31/05 01:09 PM
jules

I just read the link to the FDA warning on Zelnorm.

Figuratively (though I wish literally), it scared the crap outta me. I will definitely print this out and give it to my GI doctor.

Thanks again.

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 741 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 34545

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review