All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
2g Methylcellulose = to ? new
      #168518 - 04/09/05 11:37 AM
sweetasc6h12o6

Reged: 03/22/05
Loc: Saint Louis, MO

I started taking one serving (2g methylcellulose) of Citrucel sugar-free twice a day yesterday. I was taking 10.2g Psyllium (Metamucil) twice a day and saw results for about 1-2 weeks but then the C got even worse I am unsure on how much Citrucel to take and I thought that each fiber supplement is different so the equivelent of Citrucel to Metamucil could be very differnt. Anyone know how much I should take? Thank so very much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 2g Methylcellulose = to ?
      #168575 - 04/09/05 04:33 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Were you actually taking 10.2g of psyllium or 10.2g of Metamucil? Cos the percentage of actual SFS in each SFS is different. One recommended dose of Metamucil contains 3.4g of psyllium.

Heather suggests you aim for 12-15g of actual SFS each day. That doesn't include all the mixers and other stuff that there are in most SFSs...so you'd need 6 or 7 doses of Citucel to get that much SFS!

But when you're swapping between SFSs, it is sensible to drop your dose for a little while to give your bod an easier time to adjust to the new type of SFS. So work that out depending on how much actual psyllium you were taking.

Btw, you do know that you need to drink alot of water with a SFS or it can give you C? And that you need to include IF in your diet as well?

ALSO, btw, the sugar free Citrucel contains Aspartame which is an artificial sweetener and therefore likely to be a trigger for you! SO you might want to switch to another!

Re: 2g Methylcellulose = to ? new
      #168674 - 04/10/05 08:11 AM
sweetasc6h12o6

Reged: 03/22/05
Loc: Saint Louis, MO

I was taking 10.2g of the off brand Metamucil (mine was from target) The recommended dosage of Metamucil (and on my target stuff) is 3.4g. But I was taking one heaping tablespoon of it twice a day---that's how I got 10.2g. Sorry if I confused you.

Wow, that's a whole heck of a lot of Citucel. But at least it tastes good so it's easy to drink! Couldn't I always mix two dosages at one time (just being sure to use enough water)?

I do drink a lot of water every day, about 128oz a day. I'm a dietetics major so I calculate EVERYTHING I eat/drink a day LOL I also make sure to count my IF every day too

Luckily, the aspartame doesn't bother me! I cannot touch Splenda at all, but aspartame and sugar alcohols in "low-carb" bars don't bother me at all. I got lucky there!

Thanks so much for all the tips

Btw... new
      #168801 - 04/11/05 01:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...you might not think that artificial sweeteners bother you, but eating them before you are stable can still hinder your progress alot! I have a way higher tolerance to fat than most IBSers, but I still had to go low-fat to stabilise.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 534 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review