All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Papayas and enzyme therapy...
      #154486 - 02/26/05 02:34 PM
kikiandra

Reged: 02/21/05

has anyone tried either?
I just recently spoke with my cousin in law who developed ibs a few years back (and is currently not having any problems) and she said what helped her out was taking enzymes that help digest your food before every meal.
A little of her background, she developed bad D and was unable to eat, lost about 60 lbs over the course of several months; when she went to the doctor they did every test, and eventually concluded that she had ibs along with a very irratated stomach and intestional tract, they even told her most of it was in her head. Well after trying lots of meds (she didn't say which) even visiting doctors in Mexico (who diagnosed her with something different) her husband went to our local nutrition center, told them her story and they reccommened the enzymes, she said she took them before eating and eventually was healed and has no problems really today. She did say that she doesn't eat a few certain things but nothing too restrictive.
I've talked to alot of my friends who are into herbs and natural healing and they keep telling me papayas and enzyme therapy.
I also have a book entittled Healthy Healing by Linda Page, and it list enzyme therapy, amongst other natural remedies. If any one is interrested I will post the suggestions in the book for enzyme therapy that it says rebalances the entire digestive system.
any thoughts?
Kiki

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Papayas and enzyme therapy... new
      #154645 - 02/27/05 09:01 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Kiki

Welcome to the boards! I take enzymes before each main meal of the day (not snacks but those are usually are SF anyway), and I know a lot of other folks here do too. As far as I know the reason papayas can be helpful is because they contain protease enzymes, so they'd work the same as a pill in preventing indigestion, gas, cramping/bloating etc. I personally have never tried papayas as enzyme therapy though.

I can say taking enzymes has helped but it certainly hasn't "cured" me or made all my symptoms disappear, and I can't eat anything I want if I just take enzymes before. The thing that has helped me the most is this diet and my soluble fiber supplement. But I guess everyone's IBS is different.

#154776 - 02/27/05 06:07 PM
kikiandra

Hi!
I think I am going to try and take some of the enzymes. I have had lots of success with just diet change. I have been on the "diet" for about two weeks now, and what a difference. The only thing is I am leaning toward being to C. I think it is to much "safe" foods. I had pain for so long, that now that I have learned what to eat to prevent the pain I am scared to introduce the insoulable fiber foods.
I also want to take the fiber supplements, but I am nursing a four month old, so I am very leary of what I take, as I don't want to pass something to him that may upset him. Bad enough he is starting to teeth, along with my 24month old.
Well, I am going to try some of the receipes listed her tonight for the first time, to try and increase my fiber, and add some umph to my oh so plain diet.
Thanks for the info!!
Kiki

#154778 - 02/27/05 06:14 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

I was so happy to read how Papaya enzymes play a positive role in the body. I just went to the health food store last week and bought a bottle of Papaya Enzymes and Acidophilus wafers. In addition to that, I use Beano, Phazyme, multivitamin, and a product called Digestive Advantage-IBS that has Lactobacillus and L-Lysine in it. So far I've been doing well.

Thank you for the additional information. I feel like maybe I did make the right choice after all. HS

#154782 - 02/27/05 06:20 PM
kikiandra

acidophilus is great! I wonder if you got the yummy wafers, they are marketed for kids I think, but they have a really wonderful fruity flavor. It was years ago that I tried those, so I'd have to check to see if they are "safe."

Fiber while nursing? (Heather?) new
      #154979 - 02/28/05 11:09 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Now please know that I'm no expert on this, I'm inclined to say that taking a fiber supplement while nursing shouldn't be much to worry about... it's NOT a drug, it's just a nutritional supplement, like eating a big bowl of oatmeal. It won't go into your bloodstream or anythign like that.

However, my bag of Acacia does say to talk with a doctor before taking it if you're PREGNANT....

The reason I say this is because I know that for me going on an SFS (soluble fiber supplement) has made a WORLD of difference - honestly the single best thing that has helped my IBS (I use Acacia). Especially when reintroducing insolubles. So I hope you can try one!

Maybe call the pharmacy and see what they have to say about taking fiber while nursing? Or maybe Heather can give you a better answer for this.

It shouldn't be a problem at all... new
      #155007 - 02/28/05 12:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the labels say to "ask your doctor" as a legal cautionary measure, not because there would be any problem taking soluble fiber when pregnant or nursing.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#371641 - 11/15/14 03:40 AM
Bdeellpower

Reged: 11/15/14

Thank you for the informative post.

--------------------
матрешки

Re: Fiber while nursing? (Heather?)/soluble fiber.. new
      #371652 - 11/15/14 12:18 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Quote: "I know that for me going on an SFS (soluble fiber supplement) has made a WORLD of difference - honestly the single best thing that has helped my IBS (I use Acacia). Especially when reintroducing insolubles." Unquote.

I totally agree..

Edited by sgcray (11/15/14 12:19 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 314 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9559

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review