All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint caps question new
      #141405 - 01/22/05 08:37 PM
LupineGray

Reged: 01/15/05
Loc: California

I was just wondering if the peppermint caps have any side effects.

Thanks,
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint caps question new
      #141409 - 01/22/05 08:47 PM
rooster

Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: New York

Good question. I am wondering the same. They do help me with pain, but I have had an ulcer (stomach) that is now healed and I don't want to cause more problems. I have seen it said that peppermint oil both hurts and heals ulcers/stomach. You can find anything on the web! Now, I tried swallowing Altoids and that made my stomach BURN. The peppermint caps don't. They do say that they are only released in the intestines due to the special caps. Perhaps this lessens the chance of ulcers, etc. We may need Heather on this one! If I find out anymore, I will let you know- and I hope vice versa.

--------------------
Take Care Now,

Rooster
(Becca)

#141412 - 01/22/05 09:37 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I've never had *any* side effects from peppermint caps and I've been taking them 3x per day for 8 months now - and they definitely help with cramps, pain and D!

Peppermint oil has been thoroughly tested and shown to have virtually no side effects. Very rarely, it may cause heartburn or acid reflux in large doses, however this is usually only in people who have a history of these conditions.

The fact that peppermint caps are entric coated means that they release the strong peppermint oil in the intestines instead of the stomach, where it would be less effective (which is probably exactly while Altoids make your tummy burn and the caps don't, Becca).

Now, as for ulcers... I've never had one but I did a little googling on this. These are the only cautions that seem to be placed on peppermint oil caps:

1. Don't use peppermint oil if you have a hiatal hernia. The oil's muscle-relaxing effect will intensify its symptoms.
2. Consult your doctor before using peppermint if you have gallstones.
3. Avoid large doses of peppermint oil if you're pregnant, because it can relax the uterus before it's time to go into labor (eep! )

I'm NO doctor, but I tend to think that these cautions all seem to be around the issue of muscle relaxation (which, after all, is what peppermint does). Since a hernia is a shift of an organ and an ulcer is a lesion, I don't *think* it should be a problem, right? Especially if you don't have an ulcer right now. But PLEASE don't take my advice! Like I said, I'm not doctor! Maybe Heather can give a more informed response.

Here's a site that may be of interest: peppermint oil info

Hope some of this was helpful!

Cheers, Laurel.

Re: Peppermint caps question
      #141416 - 01/22/05 10:17 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

OH NO-I HAVE A hiatic hernia and it's been giving me chest pains ever since I started on the peppermint oil caps! But they're the only things that control the spasms for me and aren't antispasmodic drugs and sedatives WORSE in terms of side effects?!?I'll need to consult my GI doc on this,GODDAMN IT............
Andrew L.

#141529 - 01/23/05 11:53 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Andrew, don't worry, I take Bentyl because I have GERD and the peppermint caps aggravate it. I have hardly any side effects from the Bentyl at all. I had a little bit of drowsiness and dry mouth when I first started it, but that went away within a week or so. And there's lots of different ones to try if the first one doesn't work.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1299

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review