Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can hard water cause irritation?
      #130034 - 12/13/04 05:39 AM
vanessa

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Hello,
I have a question I hope someone can answer. Can hard water trigger an IBS attack?

I was diagnosed with IBS about five years ago and was able to get everything under control. I hardly ever had an attack. Three months ago I moved to Germany with my husband, and I have completely lost control of my attacks since coming here. I've been completely desperate and have been following the soluble fiber diet for a little over a week, but I'm still having diarrhea nearly everyday. I feel I am at the end of my rope and don't know what to do. My only conclusion is that something more serious is going on or that my attacks are triggered by the terribly hard water here. Does anyone know if there's anything irritable about hard water?

Thanks -
Vanessa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can hard water cause irritation? new
      #130035 - 12/13/04 05:43 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I guess it could cause irritation, but I don't have any trouble with it. I'd say it's far more likely to be something else...maybe just the stress of the new place? Or an ongoing infection...they can last for ages! You need to see a doc and get checked out...any noticeably bad changes in symptoms should be checked out by a doctor.

#130243 - 12/13/04 02:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't know much about hard/soft water but I have known people without IBS that have gotten really sick from a change in water. I rarely drink tap water since I am a bit leary of it. Also my town had an infestation of birds get in the watertower once and a lot of people got sick. I would not drink the tap water if I were you. One of the people I knew who got sick from a water change only came from Wisconsin to Minnesota and she was greatly affected by that little change! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Change in water new
      #130261 - 12/13/04 04:07 PM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

You may be right it could be your change in water. My mother-in-law can not drink water from the tap except at home she has IBS-D. Even at home she drinks tons of bottled water. Also, when she travels within the USA she won't drink the tap water it causes her lots of trouble.

My husband IBS-A can drink our tap water from home but we as a family drink a lot of bottled water. Otherwise he - especially when traveling overseas - drinks bottled water.

I hope that is the answer for you, a switch to bottled water, and that your IBS settles down.

Good luck,
Lefty

Re: Change in water new
      #130277 - 12/13/04 05:49 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

Years ago I lived in Europe for many years--I too started to have IBS trouble there. I think it has to do with the bacteria types and the levels of bacteria in the water--they do not have the same filtration systems we have...I still have problems if I travel and try to drink only bottled water---coming back to the USA also was difficult. I think you can take some antibiotics to curb the drastic effects of changing the water--has to be prescribed by a doc. good luck to you.

#130330 - 12/14/04 02:41 AM
Debs

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: England

Hi Vanessa,

I have found that a change in water always causes me problems, I am ok with the water at home but if I go anywhere else and want a cold drink of water I have to drink bottled water other than that I am fine with boiled water that has cooled down. I am a C.

Debs

city/well water and what is acceptable... new
      #130337 - 12/14/04 04:28 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

there was a local chemical spill almost 20 years ago, there are Dioxins in the local water enough that the wells are unusable, but they only filter it out to a certain degree and it causes me major migraines...even worse then MSG.. the other thing I learned recently is this is a nasty toxic poison.. it was used to poison the Ukrainian opposition leader recently..

Amie who now is much more wary of what is in the water she drinks...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 951 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3275

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review