All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Thanks, but I'm having trouble with the idea of.... new
      #12088 - 06/19/03 05:46 PM
Jenn

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: NJ

You say you make your husband dinner, eat what he eats and pay for it later. Why should you do that to yourself? I either make separate meals for my husband and I (nothing elaborate at all mind you, very simple throw together meals). Or I make what I want and if he doesn't want it he is free to make and eat whatever he wants. My health and my body is more important than making things convienient for either myself or other people. I say treat yourself to safe foods that are good for YOU, even if it means taking the extra half hour to pick up a couple of items at the health food store. There are tons of items in Heather's books that are safe and can be purchased at a regular supermarket. It takes some time to get used to the idea of changing your diet around, but if I can do it, anybody can

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need safe lunch ideas new
      #12142 - 06/20/03 09:35 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

I love grain-based salads for lunch. Usually the people around me are jealous because my lunch looks so much better than their greasy stuff. In Cooking Light magazine (I think it was the June issue) there were several recipes for grain-based dishes easily adaptable for IBS people.

Bean-based things are good too. I'll make up a batch of home-made hummus on the weekend, or a cold pasta salad, and then take it in Tupperware for lunch during the week.

Pair with a safe bread or rice cakes.

I know it's hard to be the odd one at meals, especially if you're not really into cooking in the first place. I wish you the best of luck & hope the ideas help.

sperry_twiggins

#12147 - 06/20/03 10:19 AM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I've been able to find soy cheese and milk in my regular grocery store, as well as a lot of meat alternatives. I tried to make two different meals at the beginning, but then actually my husband suggested that my diet was probably a lot healthier for him also. I know you have teenagers who can sometimes be picky, but I make a lot of stuff with soy cheese and milk and don't tell people. I've found most people can't tell the difference. What frustrates me now is that these products usually don't go on sale, and are always more expensive!

#12148 - 06/20/03 10:21 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

Have you tried rice noodles? They're EXCELLENT! I am not eating pasta as I have at least temporarily eliminated gluten from my diet...so I'm eating rice pasta. It's great!

I agree with the other folks on the board. Take care of yourself! A mother is the center of the family...and your fam needs you in peak health!

I hope you feel better soon!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#12153 - 06/20/03 10:37 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm just starting out on this diet thing, so my lunches have consisted of one or a combination of the following:

*Two cups of Kix cereal
*10 Saltine crackers with a three ounce can of tuna packed in water
*Three ounces of tuna on French bread, with squeezed lemon on top
*Reheated veggies and rice from dinner last night
*Dried bananas (Heather's recipe)
*Reheated grilled chicken breast strips from dinner last night
*Baked Lays

Creative, eh? Lunch is the worst because I can't cook anything. I've bought a lunch box and pack it full of a combination of the above items for when I actually get hungry. I drink a protein shake mixed with soy milk for breakfast, and usually have a more substantial dinner.

HTH!

--------------------
~jules

#12162 - 06/20/03 11:39 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

morning; I enjoy a tuna fish sandwich on french bread for lunch, also the crabcake sandwiches on sourdough is delicious. Both of these recipes are in the book. try them they don't take too much prep. You could prepare the mixes ahead of time.

Re: Sperry can you share your recipes? new
      #12216 - 06/20/03 09:21 PM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

Would love to have some of the recipes you are speaking of. The hummus and bean dishes...

Thanks,
Lisa

#12217 - 06/20/03 09:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'll post some links to hummus on the recipe board (not sperry's, but hopefully still good!)

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#12221 - 06/21/03 12:30 AM
jenz

Reged: 05/09/03
Loc: Uk

hi all,
I have been putting heathers diet into practice for a good two months now and i must say i am feeling alot better than i did. i used to struggle for lunches too and sometimes still do - i am a single mother of one andi childmind for my friends little girl so i dont have a lot of money to be cooking seperate meals i have swapped to diary free butter and milk and icecream - the kids would never eat all there sanwhiches because the butter was too sickly now i have swaped to diary free they finish the lot! heathers Tomato, onion and bread salad(in book) is lovely along with the asparagus and lemon pasta there is lots of thing to make u befoer hand to save on time too! the girls love going for a picnic because i do lots of little hand eaten food that i can eat and they love to dip there bread and crisps in my homous lol. It is difficult to start with changing the way you eat but believe me i have been on the diet and then lapsed one night whilst feeling in need of my old food and you realy do pay afterwards makes you realise just how well this diet works. chin up and keep going you will find a way that works for you!

#12228 - 06/21/03 09:10 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Yes! I just realized it's a lot scarier to alter a recipe for other people. There's a lot more responsibility! For example, one of my rice salad recipes calls for hard-boiled eggs. I know I can eat at least a small amount of that, so I usually leave it in. Can't do that for the general board, though! There are a lot of bowels to protect out there!

So I'm working on a couple and will put them on the Recipe Board when I deem them satisfactory.

sperry_twiggins

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1347 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6155

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review