All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Helpful Hint: Buy a Breadmaker!
      #12 - 01/23/03 06:32 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

My breadmaker is my favourite appliance in my kitchen. They have really come down in price the past few years. I mix up the dry ingredients (ie. flour, sugar and salt etc.)and store them in ziploc bags in my pantry. Then, it only takes a minute to throw it all into the breadmaker. The result- yummy, SAFE fresh bread all the time. Use the white bread recipes that call for water, and then simply eliminate the milk powder if it's called for. The bread turns out just fine. I'm also into making bagels and French Bread in the breadmaker on the dough cycle, then shaping and baking them in the oven. Yum!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Helpful Hint: Buy a Breadmaker! new
      #13 - 01/23/03 01:16 PM
bob

Reged: 01/21/03

Hey Han - I never thought of saving the dry igredients like that. Really smart!! I'm probably going to be making a whole lot more bread now.

Thanks

#16 - 01/23/03 03:52 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

You Go Bob! I figure if I have to measure out 1 batch, it only takes another minute to do some more more since all the ingredients/measuring stuff is there. Saves time later. Maybe we can swap some recipes on the recipe board!

--------------------

#24 - 01/24/03 10:17 AM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

Han - there are two books called "Electric Bread" put out by I.C.E., Inc. (Innovative Cooking Enterprises) in Anchorage, Alaska. These are the greatest books for breadmakers. My friends love to come over because I always have a different loaf of bread for them. I believe these books are available in bookstores and if you can't find them there, probably are available online. Here are just a few titles:
Apple oat, apricot, baked potato, carrot, certainly citrus, challah, chocolate cherry, cinco de mayo, fall harvest, garden herb, garlic, honey mustard, kulich, light rye, luscious luau, maraschino pecan, saucy apple (really good), sourdough white, tangy cranberry, tabouli, swedish limpa. The list goes on. One of everyone's favorites is Bleu Cheese Port. Guess I'm going to have to find soy bleu cheese. Does anyone know if it's available?

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#27 - 01/24/03 12:50 PM
junipertre3

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: Chicago, IL.

I don't own a bread maker, but maybe i'll get one for my birthday, you've sold me hansolo.
I do have a slow cooker though, that's my favorite kitchen toy right now, I just throw
in my ingedients in the morning before work (I chop them and prepare them the night before) and after
school i get to come home to a fresh, delicious, hot meal. yum...

#28 - 01/24/03 01:27 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Thanks, Sharon! I will see if I can get them - I'm Canadian so I might need to get them on-line. They sound fabulous. Can't wait.

--------------------

#29 - 01/24/03 01:42 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I found a product call Pure Soy Quik. It is powder soy milk and is made by ERER G. I bought it to try it as a substitute for powder milk in bread recipes. I haven't tried it yet, but I will let you know how it works.

#33 - 01/24/03 06:30 PM
bob

I don't have any prize winning recipes, but would like to try yours if you have some good ones. I think the recipes are supposed to be traded on the Recipe Exchange board though, so if you have some I will look there.

crockpot recipes (was Re: Helpful Hint: Buy a Breadmaker!) new
      #35 - 01/24/03 06:42 PM
TessLouise

Loc: Nashville, TN

I'd love it if you'd share some IBS-safe slow cooker recipes on the Recipe Exchange Board, I have a slow cooker but I don't use it because I don't quite know what to do with it!

Re: crockpot recipes (was Re: Helpful Hint: Buy a Breadmaker!) new
      #276 - 02/01/03 03:30 PM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

Tess - A few years ago I went into our local Barnes and Noble Bookstore's cooking section and found 3 really good crockpot cookbooks. One is "Easy Home Cooking Slow Cooker Recipes" by Publications International Ltd copyright 1997 ISBN:0-7853-2390-2. Two reasons I like this one is because at the end of every recipe they have nutritional analyses and the other reason is that some of the recipes are great. I'll share one with you right now.

Pork Stew (you can substitute chicken for pork)

2 tsp oil or cooking spray
3 lbs. fresh pork tenderloin or turkey or chicken
2 med white onions, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp oregano leaves, dried
1 can (8 oz.) tomatillos, peeled, drained and chopped (save liquid to add later)
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
1/2 c chicken broth, FF (fat free)
1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
1/4 c fresh cilantro chopped
2 tsp lime juice
4 c hot cooked rice (any kind)

Heat 1 tsp oil or cooking spray in lg skillet over med ht. Add meat, cook 5-10 min til browned on all sides. Remove and set aside. Heat 1 tsp oil or cooking spray in skillet. Add onions, garlic, salt, cumin and oregano. Cook and stir 2 min or until veg soft.

Combine meat mixture and remaining ingredients except rice in slow cooker. Mix well. Cover and cook on LOW 5 hrs or until meat is tender and barely pink in centers. Serve over rice. MAKES 10 servings.

If you make it, let us know how it turned out. That page in my book is marked "wonderful!". I also added sliced mushrooms.

The other books are Sunset Crockery Cookbook, Sunset Publishing Co., Menlo Park, CA, eighth printing Nov. 1999. ISBN 0-376-02224-8.

Better Homes and Gardens all-time-favorite Crockery cooker meals, Better Homes and Gardens Books, Des Moines, Iowa, ISBN 0-696-21001-0 or Better Homes and Gardens Books, Cookbook Editorial Dept. 1716 Locust St., Des Moines, Iowa 50309-3023.

Good luck!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 341 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14264

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review