All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
advil? new
      #112595 - 10/13/04 06:19 AM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

i haven't taken anything other than tylenol since my diagnosis, but i have this headache that is almost a migraine, the pain is so bad. does anyone know of anything else i can take besides tylenol that wont kill my stomach? as it is, its that time of the month, so my stomach isn't 100% anyway. thanks!!!

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: advil? new
      #112620 - 10/13/04 07:53 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I take advil whenever I get a headache and I never have a problem with it....some people do though....

Children's Tylenol new
      #112621 - 10/13/04 08:00 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Believe it or not I take children's Tylenol (the cherry flavored one with a dropper for babies!) and it cures my migraines presto! I take three dropperfuls, but you might need more.

When I take the medication, I drink a glass of room temperature water and I eat a slice of French white bread. The water and bread (soluble fibre) both help offset and prevent any ill effects the Sorbitol in the medication might have on my IBS.

The children's Tylenol is the only thing I can take because everything else aggravates my IBS. Painkillers are in general very tough on the gut.

Hope this helps.

Belinda

#112623 - 10/13/04 08:04 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I've taken one aleve at times for migraines, cramps, or just general pain, and not had problems as long as I've eaten something in the hour or so before.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#112626 - 10/13/04 08:19 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I can't do any of the nasaids, advil, mortin, alieve, all that stuff upsets tummy a lot. I do the tylenol ok. If you get real bad call your dr ask ask for ultra-cet. Its a prescription pain pill (not a narcotic) and its tylenol based so it won't upset tummy and its pretty cheap if you don't have insurance! The next step up is the Vicodin, which is a narcotic and addictive, but works great! Hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#112634 - 10/13/04 09:07 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I have taken aleve and had no problems.

Good luck

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#112643 - 10/13/04 09:29 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Advil wrecked my stomach as a teenager, so I won't touch it now, unless I'm already having an attack AND have a terrible headache, like a hangover. Aleve rips up my gut so I can't take it. In the commercials, it's not recommended for those with stomach problems.

~nelly~

painkillers... and NSAIDS...
      #112656 - 10/13/04 09:44 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I had a chart listed allergy to motrin due to tummy problems but still took Lodine and Naproxen (Aleeve) for my arthritis and my GI insisted I stop all NSAIDS- it leaves me with just tylenol based drugs which aren't as effective, but my belly pain is cosniderably less.. I didn't even realise that I was having problems with them... until I stopped taking them... I hadn't heard of Ultra-Cet will have ot ask about that because I hate having ot take a ton of tylenol 500's or vicodin and not much in between... and vicodin makes me loopy but it does help when I'm having a migraine..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I don't want to say the "A" word ... new
      #112662 - 10/13/04 10:01 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

But what about regular old Asprin? I know that people get worried about stomachs and asprin, but I think that is mostly for people whose problems are actually in the stomach (like ulcers, for example). While we say that our tummies hurt, we all know it's actually our intestines, and I'm not sure that Asprin would be bad for our particular symptoms, the way I know Advil can be. Sometimes Asprin is the only thing that does the trick for me. Also a cup of coffee does it for me too, but we all know we have to use that sparingly.
Feel better,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#112663 - 10/13/04 10:06 AM
turrtle

Reged: 08/22/04
Loc: Hartsville, SC

I can't have any ibuprofens but if absolutely necessary I will take 1 advil. Only 1! When I got tooth aches my dentist would prescribe 400mg(owe) of ibuprofen. I think that's when my troubles began.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1257 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2479

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review