All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For anyone in the UK!! new
      #103784 - 09/04/04 04:25 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey just interested to know what ibs things people in the uk buy and where from...branded things and stuff like that...as I dont seem to have much luck finding stuff! I know obviously its better to make things from scratch but I am a busy uni student and dont have time to always bake things! Any suggestions of things you've found which are safe and easily available would be apreciated....we dont have any safe crisps do we?? I loved baked lays when I went to america but we dont have them here! Anyways let me know what sort of things you buy and eat and where from....thanks Natalie xx

--------------------
Natalie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For anyone in the UK!! new
      #103791 - 09/04/04 05:32 AM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hi Natalie

I'm in the UK too. Here' are the kinds of foods I've been buying.....

Sainsburys/Tescos; Kallo Organic Puffed Rice Cereal - really nice with vanilla soy milk. I buy the Provamel alpro brand, they do chocolate too. One of my favourite snacks is Dove's Farm's Tasty bars. They are a rice/chocolate bar which at first I thought was going to taste like a rice cake, but it's more like chocolate - I like them better than standard choc bars!

Tortilla wraps/pitta breads are a safe choice and you can fill them with prawns, tuna, chicken etc.. Both Sainsburys and Tescos have a 'free from' range which includes wheat and dairy free products. I like the 'tru free' brand of wheat free pasta but have recently tried a dairy free mayo. Not bad, but I prefer cooking from Heather's books.

I know what you mean about having time, but with a little planning (and a huge amount of effort on my part!) you can get into a routine. If you've got Heather's recipe book, why not try something simple like the high energy banana shake for breakfast? Really simple to make and yummy too. Chicken and salmon dishes are quite quick, just marinade and cook when you get in from work. I tend to use Patak's Easy Cook Basmati rice with most dishes - again, available in most supermarkets.

For quick fixes, Sainsbury's sell small packets of Miso soup. This is a really low fat soup that's found with the rice/soy sauce shelves - usually tucked away at the back. You just add the sachet to boiling water - so it's good for taking as part of lunch/snack. The 'tru free' range also has a dairy free rice pot, I think it's a lentil one, but it's really tasty and filling and importantly, transportable!

There is a web site, www.goodnessdirect.co.uk that sells quite alot of the brands mentioned by our American friends. The 'Better Than...' range can be bought from here and if you want to look at the soya/tofu cheeses/spreads/cream alternatives, this is the place for you!

For ice-creams, have a look at the 'Swedish Glace' range sold in most supermarkets. The goodness direct site has more of a choice of flavours, but most supermarkets sell the vanilla and chocolate ones. They are dairy free and IBS friendly. The chocolate one is my favourite.

Holland and Barrett do a reasonable choice of IBS friendly spreads but you can normally buy it cheaper is Tescos/Sainsburys/Asda. Vegemince is quite a good alternative to mincemeat when making spag.bol etc.... both Sainsburys and Tescos sell it - look in the vegetarian freezer isle.

I wish we had something like 'baked lays' over here. What you can do is buy small pitta pockets, split in half, spray with olive oil and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, cut into triangles and bake in a moderate oven for about 8 mins and voila, homemade nachos!

If you have dig around in health food shops, like 'Clare James' you can normally find oatmeal. I've never been able to find it in the supermarkets here, but oatmeal is finely ground oats which are usually IBS safe and this is what I use to make porridge on the weekends.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, just wanted to give you some ideas of what's out there… hope this helps.

Edited by sona (09/04/04 04:29 PM)

#103806 - 09/04/04 07:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I get most of my food from Tescos - they have a great range of "free-from" and vegetarian foods. Including...

Long-life Soya Milk (with the long-life milk).
Fresh chocolate soya milk (in the milk aisle).
Provamel Soya Desserts, I like Vanilla (with the other free-from stuff, usually in the aisle with organic foods).
Corn cakes.
Sakata baked crisps - the only baked crisps I can find in this country so far.
Bonne Mamam Apple Compote.
Quorn products (in the vegetarian sections of fresh and frozen foods).
Cauldron Foods Lincolnshire sauasages - the yummiest vege sausages around (in the organic section of fresh foods).
The Dutch Apple Pudding in the baby food section - yum!

Then there's noodles, pasta, white bread, tinned tuna in spring water, Hellmanns's Lighter than Light Mayo, fresh fish, low-fat spray oil, pizza bases and tomato topping (with the pasta sauces usually), etc, etc. And I don't eat chicken or turkey!

You can get plain tofu at Tescos, but anything more complicated like that I have to go to a health food store.

Good luck!

#103818 - 09/04/04 07:51 AM
sona

Hi Linz

I can only find Hellmans Extra Light mayo - where can I find Hellmanns's Lighter than Light Mayo? I had a look on the Tesco's on-line store and they didn't have it.

Thanks!

PS - Sainsbury's stock the Cauldron's tofu range, including the marinaded packs. They also do the Mori (?) silken tofu that Heather refers to in some of the receipes. Holland and Barrett also stock the Cauldron's tofu range.

Marks and Spencers do baked crisps too -nt-
      #103824 - 09/04/04 08:01 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Other stuff... new
      #103825 - 09/04/04 08:13 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
I dunno how helpful all of this will be 'cause I think I can tolerate some stuff other people can't but here are some things I get religiously at Sainsbury's...
Sainsbury's Brand Pretzels
Mango sorbet (I THINK it's just Sainsbury's brand too.. there is lemon sorbet as well but I'm not much of a lemon fan. Also, I have had the Tesco mango sorbet and I didn't like it.. but you might!)
Go Ahead Apple Bake Bars (This is one that I can't remember how perfectly safe the ingredients are but I eat them almost every day and have never had a problem)
Snack-a-Jacks Caramel Flavour Rice Cakes (and plain rice cakes, of course!)
Express Noodles.. I dunno the name brand.. but it's a package of 5 servings of noodles that cook in two minutes - they are yummy with teriaky chicken, or just by themselves with soy sauce is good.
I like the soy ice cream someone else mentioned as well from Holland and Barrett
Alpro soy chocolate milk is AWESOME and I have just started having the vanilla one with cereal in the morning - yummy
Ginger snap cookies!
Jelly Belly jelly beans are expensive at Sainsburys, but I get them anyway sometimes. But it's like £1.99 for a tiny box!!
That's all I can think of now... I wish I could think of more 'cause I'm at work and this is a good distraction from actually, you know, working..
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Other stuff... new
      #103828 - 09/04/04 08:30 AM
sona

...oooo Jelly Belly beans, they are lush! I only buy them once in a while (I think Blockbuster sell them at the counter) 'cos they're pricey, but now you've reminded me, may need to make a trip! Where I live Blockbusters is next to Marks & Spencer, so will have a look round for the baked crips you mentioned.

Big thanks everyone!! new
      #103882 - 09/04/04 01:54 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Thanks everyone thats a big help...a few of the things you all mentioned I do buy which is good....but theres loads you've mentioned that I knew nothing about so thanks...Im looking forward to my next trip to the supermarket now!! Natalie xx

--------------------
Natalie

That may be what I meant! - nt new
      #103917 - 09/05/04 03:42 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Re: For anyone in the UK!! some answers, some questions new
      #103986 - 09/05/04 12:28 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

You beat me to it posting this Natalie, thanks everyone all this info is great!

I got snack sized bag of pretzels in Marks & Spencers lately, they are really handy for travelling or bringing to work for hunger attacks, they were with the "count on us" range. My M&S didn't have the baked crisps last time I was there. I checked loads of the M&S readymeals for contents too and a lot of them were IBS safe, they have 4 or 5 different risottos that are safe and they were very cheap (€2.99)

I thought the M&S applesauce was AWFUL though, the Colman's one is much nicer- has anyone found unsweetened applesauce on this side of the atlantic?

Am delighted to hear that the Hellmann's Extra Light is OK ...I was eyeing it up in Tesco the other day as I LOVE mayonnaise.

Rice Dream Vanilla Flavour milk which is great with cereal. I also got some REALLY good live soy yogurt in a healthfood shop, the brand is Sojasun and it comes in little glass jars and lots of fruity flavours.

I am convinced I saw "Baked Lays" in some shop about a week before I was diagnosed but cannot remember where..if I track them down I will let you know..maybe a videoshop?

For treats I love Haribo jellies and they have been fine for my tummy so far.

And now for my questions....

*Are cordials (like Robinson's orange etc) I know carbonated drinks are out but could I try these?
*Has anyone managed to make a "safe" piecrust that doesn't involve graham crackers? I have a cheesecake recipe that is very easily adaptable to be safe for the topping but I am at a loss for a safe base

Finally, I haven't seen anything that has HFCS as an ingredient but have seen loads of things that have "glucose syrup" or "glucose fructose syrup" are both of these the enemy?

Thanks!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1825 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2453

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review