All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Mexican food
      #221761 - 10/28/05 08:01 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Can everyone chip in with their favourite IBS-safe Mexican recipes for the ethnic food index?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mexican food new
      #222148 - 10/30/05 06:17 PM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

This looks like a lot of work, but I made it tonight and it really wasn't that hard to make. It is really really yummy. My hubby loved it.

Hearty Taco Casserole

2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
1-1/3 cups plus 4 to 5 tablespoons water, divided
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp cold butter (I used Smart Balance Light)
FILLING:
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup water
1 envelope taco seasoning
4 egg whites
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
salsa
soy sour cream

Preheat oven to 400.

In a small saucepan, bring rice and 1-1/3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until brumbly. Stir in enough remaining water to form a soft dough. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in x 8-in rectangle. Press into a 13-in x 9=in x 2-in baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until very lightly browned.

For filling, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add water, taco seasoning and cooked rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in egg whites and cilantro. Spread over crust.

Cover and bake for 15-17 minutes or until filling is set. Cut into squares. Top with salsa and soy sour cream.

Makes 8 servings.

Adapted from Light & Tasty Magazine.

Mmmm, mexican! new
      #222175 - 10/30/05 09:13 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I looooove Mexican food! I used to always use those packages, but when I couldn't make them quite as safe as I would have liked, this was a recipe I came up with while I was living in England that was a very regular meal for Adrian and I:

Ingredients: (These amounts aren't perfect, I had to improv a lot and Adrian eats enough for about 3 normal people so... )

Flour Tortillas
1.5 cups of cooked rice
1 lb diced, chicken breast
Mexican seasoning (or use seasoning of choice)
1 can stewed, diced tomatoes
1/2 cup onion, chopped into small pieces
1 cup cleaned, chopped mushrooms (optional.. not very mexican! )
Diced fresh tomatoes and lettuce (optional)

Other optional ingredients: Diced peppers, soy sour cream, soy cheddar cheese.

Directions:

In a pan sprayed with cooking spray, cook diced chicken breast with the onions. While cooking, add in seasoning. When almost cooked, add in the mushrooms and cook until softened.
Add in the stewed tomatoes and the cooked rice and simmer gently in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
Put flour tortillas in aluminium foil and bake for approximately 10 minutes on 350. (Optional: Can spray in between tortillas with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray).

Spoon mixture into tortillas. Add some fresh diced tomatoes and lettuce, and then soy cheese and sour cream if desired. Fold up ends and roll up, and then ENJOY!!

Guacomole is another favourite Mexican food of mine. Some baked tortilla chips, medium salsa and guacomole... YUMMY!!
I make my own tortilla chips by spraying ICBINB spray and putting a bit of sea salt on cut up flour tortillas and baking them in the oven until they are as crispy as I like them.

Fajitas with grilled chicken/turkey and veggies are also very yummy and safe!

Mmmm, now I am craving Mexican!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Oooh, sounds yummy!! Will have to remember this one! -nt- new
      #222177 - 10/30/05 09:22 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#222260 - 10/31/05 09:28 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I had this last week. While it's got quite a bit of IF in it, I still feel it's safe & worth posting for those that can tolerate the amount of IF... Of course, you can always cut back on it too.

Burritos

1lb ground turkey breast
2 cans refried beans
1 packet taco seasoning
1 packet burrito seasoning
salsa
soft tortilla shells
soy sour cream

Saute ground turkey breast until no longer pink. Stir in both cans of refried beans, seasoning packets, and 1/4 cup of salsa. Place filling into torilla's and wrap. Place burritos wrap-side down onto a cookie sheet & bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until slightly crisp. Top with salsa and soy sour cream. Yield: makes about 15 burritos

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Grilled Fish Tacos new
      #222346 - 10/31/05 04:06 PM
LindsayK

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Austin, TX

I dicovered how wonderful fresh fish tacos are while on vacation down on the Gulf coast of Texas. I got this recipe from Whole Foods and modified it to work for me. I've even used it with my grill pan instead of firing the grill up outdoors.

Grilled Fish Tacos

Serves 6

Non-stick spray
2 lb tilapia (or any firm white fish) cut in 1" strips
12 organic corn tortillas (I use flour tortillas)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I prefer vegan mayo, but low fat or ff would work)
2 TB ketchup
1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream (I use soy sour cream or soy yogurt, whatever I've got on hand)
11/2 cups shredded red cabbage (I use this sparingly, or omit altogether depending on how I'm feeling)
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 limes, cut in wedges
Prepared salsa or hot sauce

Spray grill with non-stick spray. Grill fish over medium heat, 2-3 minutes each side. While fish is grilling, warm a few tortillas at a time by spraying or sprinkling lightly with water and placing on the grill. Turn frequently, and move to a kitchen towel to keep warm. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup and crema. When fish is done, place 2 strips in each tortilla, top with shredded cabbage, chopped tomatoes and a spoonful of sauce. Serve with lime wedges and salsa.

I like to sprinkle the fish with a little grill/seafood seasoning to give it a kick. My mouth is watering just thinking about how yummy these are.

--------------------
Lins

Mexican chicken rojo new
      #222907 - 11/03/05 06:41 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Before I went veggie and before tomatoes started bothering me, I loved this chicken recipe I gave the recipe to my mom and she still makes it all the time. I *think* it's from mexicanfood.about.com, but I can't remember for sure now...

Chicken Rojo

"The great thing about this dish is that you can assemble your ingredients while the chicken simmers, so it cuts down on prep time. It only takes 30 minutes cooking time from start to finish."

INGREDIENTS:

3-5 chicken breasts
6 tomatoes, large
1/2 an onion, cut into quarters (I usually used less + onion powder)
3 tablespoons of oil (I always just used cooking spray)
2 cups chicken broth mixed with 2 cups of water
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon red chile powder or chile paste (more or less to your taste - this is pretty spicy but I always used a bit more than this )
salt to taste

PREPARATION:

Preheat broiler on high.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil (cooking spray) in a large pan over high heat.

Brown the chicken pieces on each side. Cover chicken with chicken broth and bring to a boil. (Note: when my mom makes this, she tends to cut the breasts up into smaller pieces - they cook faster this way and they're nice mixed in with rice afterwards.)

While it's coming to a boil, slice the top off of each tomato and place cut side down on a cookie sheet along with the onions.

Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil over them (I always just sprayed 'em If you don't want to do that I think you could safely drizzle them with a bit of oil - there's not much fat in this recipe to begin with). Place in broiler and remove when tomato skins become very wrinkled and shriveled.

While the tomatoes are broiling, bring the chicken broth to a strong simmer and add in the chile, cumin, oregano, garlic and cocoa.

When the tomatoes are ready, remove from broiler and let cool for 1 minute.

While the tomatoes cool, turn the chicken

Peel the skin off of each tomato and use a spoon to remove the seeds from the middle. Using your fingers, mash the tomato a little and add into the sauce. Separate the onions and stir into the sauce. Let the sauce reduce while chicken finishes cooking.

If the liquid cooks off to faost, add water about a half cup each time, until the chicken reaches 170 degrees or is no longer pink inside.

#371647 - 11/15/14 03:51 AM
Bdeellpower

Reged: 11/15/14

I really liked this information.

--------------------
матрешки

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 322 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16766

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review