All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I Need "Cooking for IBS for Dummies"
      #16957 - 08/11/03 10:50 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I am a disaster in the kitchen! This morning I decided to make the smoky eggplant hummus dip. Heather didn't say to put the eggplants on a pan or in a baking dish (I know, this should be obvious!), so I just placed them on the oven rack. Big mistake! Halfway through the cooking time, juice is oozing out of them and dripping all over the floor of my oven. I had the sticky lemon bread ready to go in the oven next, but that was impossible with the burning, smoking disaster I had!!!! So thank goodness my neighbor was home and let me put the bread in her oven.
Wait! That's not the end of the story. I bought a new food processor last night to mix the hummus dip up in. I spent more than I should have on it, but thought this one would be reliable. I got all the ingredients in it, pushed the buttons, and it wouldn't work. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I called the company and they advised me to return it to the store. After spending all morning preparing the ingredients (and a lot of money at the grocery store), I was furious! So there I go scraping the hummus ingredients out of the new appliance and trying to fit them into this tiny chopper I have. (Have you ever scraped tahini out of a bowl?) My oven is now locked for 4 hours on the self cleaning cycle. I'm definitely not Martha Stewart! HELP! Why does this always happen when I have guests coming?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh dear... new
      #16963 - 08/11/03 11:31 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I am so sorry. It was a mistake for me to not specify that you put the eggplants in a pan. That's actually not so obvious, and I should have realized that.

What a bummer about the food processor, and how frustrating. You could use a blender if you have one, though this is really after the fact, I know.

I remember how completely infuriating it was to start cooking and be unclear about recipes - what was mix vs. beat vs. blend? Did I use a spoon or an electrice mixer? Nothing was ever detailed enough, and it drove me nuts. But...it won't take you very long at all for a lot of things to become very easy and second nature, and cooking will go much faster after that, I promise.

I was once banished from a friend's kitchen in high school, when I baked a loaf of banana bread. I lined the pan with waxed paper, as my grandmother always did. But I didn't realize I needed to trim the overhang of the paper...so it melted and caught fire in the oven, set off their smoke alarm, and smelled like a toxic waste dump. I smoked their whole family out of the house for the whole day. And needless to say, the banana bread was completely inedible. I'm still friends with the girl whose house this was at, but her mother still snorts every time someone mentions me cooking. So take heart...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Oh dear... new
      #16966 - 08/11/03 12:00 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

You know - I am happy to hear I am not the only one to have problems understanding the book.

At times I found the cookbook to be kinda vague. I can't remember off the top of my head right now - I am not a cook and so trying to learn new recipes is more difficult if sometimes the recipes are vague.

I know alot of people just know what to do - but I really truely don't - my mom never cooked anything except roasts, chicken etc. We never adventured out into the ethnic foods so a person really truely doesn't know how to cook these things.

I am just glad to hear I am not alone.

Last Christmas I put a Casserole dish onto a burner. My mom used to do it all the time. I had atleast 6 cups of water in there too. It just blew to bits and the funniest part was if I actually found 2 tablespoons of the water - the rest was gone!!!

LOL - The things we learn through trial and error.

PS - I still love your book I will just have to post my questions here to clear up the vagueness.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: I Need "Cooking for IBS for Dummies" new
      #16968 - 08/11/03 01:32 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm not the greatest either but I'm loving learning how to cook. I found this Web link that's helped me:

http://www.cafecreosote.com/dictionary.php3

--------------------
~jules

Heather, it gets worse .... new
      #16970 - 08/11/03 01:43 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Just when I thought my day in the kitchen could not be any worse, my neighbor, who baked the lemon bread for me, brought it over and said, "It didn't look done after an hour so I baked it an extra 15 minutes." Ugh!!! I can understand her MAYBE baking it an extra 5 minutes, but 15 minutes? I wished she had called and asked me about it first. I took a bite of it and it's so-so, but not the gooey lemon bread I expected because she overcooked it. I'm hoping after it sits a day it might be a little more moist.
Heather, I had to laugh at your story about you smoking up your friend's kitchen. At least I'm not the only one who does that!
Two more questions----
1)Was I supposed to discard all the seeds in the charred eggplant? Please tell me I was.
2) I doubled the Italian Basil/Lemon Tuna Pasta Salad and added a third can of white tuna to give it more "meat." I already mixed the dressing with it. Now I'm afraid it will be too dry tomorrow when I get ready to serve it. If so, what do I do? Add a little canola oil to it? Lemon juice? Or mix up some more dressing? (which I probably won't have time to do!)
Thanks so much for your help! (Your recipes are yummy; I just can't cook very well.)

Re: Oh dear... new
      #16974 - 08/11/03 01:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - When I was working on Eating for IBS with my editor, we went back and forth about what direction to take with the recipes. Should the book be a very basic primer for people who had never cooked, or should it be a full-on cookbook with recipes that assumed some basic level of kitchen familiarity? We decided to make it a regular cookbook...and in hindsight I think that was a mistake. I have since heard from so many people who have never cooked before but now have to due to IBS, or from people who were used to just throwing together convenience food but now needed to expand into more in-depth recipes, but didn't know how. So, the book has been great for people who already cooked and just needed to know how to modify recipes or venture into more ethnic/gourmet territory, but it hasn't really fit the bill for folks who don't know how (or don't want to know how!) to cook.

That's why I've been trying to work on a fast and easy diet book for IBS, that's less a full-blown cookbook and more a how-to guide. With Eating for IBS, it was assumed that people were already cooking. With the new book, I won't make that assumption and everything will be taken step by step. I'm also going to concentrate more on ideas and suggestions for throwing a meal together instead of having specific recipes (though I will include those too). More store-bought things will be included, and the focus will be on learning the basics of cooking so you can eat safely for IBS without having to really get into cooking and recipes. Hopefully this will fill the gap...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather, it gets worse .... new
      #16977 - 08/11/03 01:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Ah no, not the bread too! I've had this happen when I've asked other people to take breads and cakes out of the oven for me. My grandfather pulled out a chocolate cake once that was RAW in the middle - didn't even test it. I came home and the cake was already cooled off, and he said, "well, the timer went off!" I couldn't believe he didn't even test it. Had to throw the damn thing out.

For the eggplant, you can discard all the seeds, but you don't really have to. They'll be so soft from the roasting that they'll blend up smooth. But the end result won't really be different either way, so no worries.

For the salad...best thing to do is make more dressing. You could make it in advance and add tomorrow as needed. Or, tomorrow blend a little water with the lemon juice, maybe a teaspoon or two of olive oil, and add until things are moist enough.

Don't worry, it will all be fine!

- H

--------------------

#16981 - 08/11/03 02:01 PM
StansAngelXXX

Reged: 07/08/03
Loc: Albany, NY and Hartford, CT

I first learned a lot of tips and secrets to cooking from my mom...who learned from my grandma...who learned from Betty Crocker! If you go to http://www.bettycrocker.com there is a section for learning how to cook and learning shortcuts, etc. Great info there!

Hope this helps!
Sarah

#16985 - 08/11/03 02:17 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

BL-Thanks for making me feel right at home. I am the worst cook ever! A lot of my efforts end up in the garbage disposal. So far I'm sticking to the diet strategies, but I'm sure not making any gourmet meals!!

Yay!! new
      #16986 - 08/11/03 02:25 PM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Heather--I'd LOVE a fast and easy cookbook! Let us know the moment it comes out!! Though I want to learn to be a better cook, I'm not there yet. Plus I don't have tons of time AND my husband won't eat anything very unusual.

I made the Rice with Currants and Cardamom--thought he'd like it because it's sweet. I LOVED it, but he didn't like it because the cardamom was new to him.

By the way, I found that recipe very easy to follow and, as far as I'm concerned, it was a success.

Meanwhile, I'm glad I have the website for posting all my food and recipe questions!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29520

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review