All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
homemade peach jam
      #14612 - 07/22/03 01:29 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

This is delicious...we went to the farmer's market on Saturday (because all my boyf had in the apartment to eat were eggs, milk, and ramen noodles!), and I got a ton of peaches and tried this. The recipe is from the current (August) edition of _Taste of Home_.

Chunky Peach Spread

7 medium peaches (2 to 2 1/2 pounds)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 enveloped unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water

Drop peaches in boiling water for 1 minute or until peel has softened. Immediately dip fruit in ice water. Peel and chop peaches. In a large saucepan, combine the peaches, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Mash peaches. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes (or longer if the mixture seems really juicy).

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 2 minutes. Remove peach mixture from the heat; stir in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Cool for 10 minutes. Pour into jars. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. Yield: about 3 1/2 cups (I think my peaches were big, because I got closer to 4 1/2 cups).

Nutritional analysis: One serving (2 tablespoons) equals 21 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.

Now, I've just got to find a way for two of us to finish all of the jam in three weeks! (Can I freeze half of it, or will the gelatin break down?)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: homemade peach jam new
      #14615 - 07/22/03 01:34 PM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

HI TessLouise! Taste of Home is my all time favorite cooking magazine! I've been trying to adapt some of the recipes to be IBS safe. As you come across others from that magazine that work, hope you'll let me know. Did you find it hard to get the skins off the peaches? I've tried that method before and it wasn't quite as simple as it sounded.Looking forward to trying it though! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Re: homemade peach jam new
      #14712 - 07/23/03 05:26 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I bought a whole bunch of peaches at the farmer's market, and I purposely chose very ripe ones for the jam recipe (and less ripe ones for eating later). So try it with peaches that are nice and soft to begin with, and cut an "x" in the bottom of each before you drop it into the water. Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4219

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review