All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
IBS symptoms in social situations
      #351217 - 10/27/09 12:02 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this. Whenever I am in social situations, my IBS symptoms really flare up. It could be anxiety, though I often find myself caught up in talking or whatever and am usually pretty distracted. In the past I probably ate trigger foods when out with friends, but recently nearly all social engagements have been in my home with food I prepare. Last night friends came over and were here for about 2 hours. By the time they left I was in crippling pain in my lower gut, so I spent the next 20 minutes on the toilet passing gas. Then my gut felt irritated and sick the rest of the evening. I suspect it's because I hold gas in when I am with other people rather than releasing it as necessary. How do others handle this embarrassing problem? I often don't notice the problem until I am in terrible pain because I am so distracted. Maybe I should sip fennel tea when spending time with friends? Can anyone relate?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS symptoms in social situations new
      #351219 - 10/27/09 05:43 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Yes I relate! But it doesn't happen to me all the time like it used to, just once in a while. For me it was a combination of social anxiety, and lack of self-awareness. Learning meditation, or yoga or other similar things (and going to a therapist too!) helped me to keep my breathing more even, to be more comfortable in my own skin and to be more in touch with myself while doing other things like visiting friends. I think that's what helped me the most.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#351225 - 10/27/09 08:09 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, I can relate. If I am socially uncomfortable, the increase in gas and bloating is tremendous. I never understood why, until I was DX'd with IBS and realized the connection between gas and feeling uncomfortable.

#351231 - 10/27/09 08:53 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Do you take any anti anxiety meds?

Sometimes even when I'm at home my IBS flares and I have to take half a pill.It's enough to keep everything calm.

I also hang around a girlfriend who farts ALL THE TIME!!
We know it we laugh she is fine with it so if I have to leave the party and hit the bathroom for 10 or 15 min she knows its because I have IBS.
It really helps to have good friends who understand your problems but don't make you feel awkward about it.

When I get back we continue on with our conversation.

Do your friends know about your IBS?You could always just step outside for a bit of fresh air and then let'er rip.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#351232 - 10/27/09 09:20 AM
Gerikat

I let those silent but deadly ones. lol One way or another, I get it out of me.

#351237 - 10/27/09 02:10 PM
frygurl

That's very insightful. I never thought of it as a lack of awareness of myself. I do have social anxiety especially these days being so symptomatic and with such a specific diet. And I wouldn't say I am very comfortable in my own skin. So much to work on! I appreciate your thoughts - it helps me to understand things better.

#351238 - 10/27/09 02:22 PM
frygurl

I don't take any anti-anxiety meds. I'm working hard to avoid medication if I can help it. My ND is helping me deal with anxiety which is amazing. She is more helpful than the psychiatrist I saw through my HMO. I was thinking of trying Rescue Remedy which has actually helped my dog with anxiety and I hear it works well for people.

It's great that you have a friend who totally understands and isn't disgusted by your IBS symptoms. My friends really don't ask or seem to want to know about it. They ask a couple questions and then give me the answer to all my problems (take digestive enzymes or avoid such and such food). The only person who knows what I go through day to day is my husband and I am so grateful for him. However, he has a great gut and can eat just about anything he wants, so even though he's extremely supportive, he can not understand the suffering, or the anxiety and depression around the suffering I go through daily.

Another poster pointed out the importance of self-awareness, which makes a lot of sense to me. I tend to ignore the signals my body gives when I am in social situations because I am embarrassed to disappear into the bathroom for more than a couple minutes, or even to step outside in the middle of a conversation. Instead, I tend to avoid social gatherings pretty much all together, which makes me feel isolated and like I am missing out on a huge part of my life.

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your thoughts.

#351239 - 10/27/09 02:25 PM
frygurl

Ahh yes. Why did I not make this connection?

#351241 - 10/27/09 02:44 PM
Gerikat

You hit the nail on the head! Being comfortable in your own skin. A mighty mission.

Frygirl- Flowers new
      #351243 - 10/27/09 03:05 PM
Gerikat

Did you know that there are many Flower Remedies besides Rescue. That is more for immediate crisis. You can see a practioner and have a blend made up for your unique problems. I am working with an energy worker now who specializes in the Flowers. She had made a special blend that I am experimenting with. She included Star of Bethlehem in this particular blend for PTSD. We are going to tweak it as we go along. I think she has about 6 different Flowers in my blend. I just wanted you to know that you can get it specific to you, and not a generic blend.

She is giving the Flowers to me for free for now, since she wants to see how Star of Bethlehem helps me. She is very kind and supportive. Moreso than any doc I have ever seen.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 534 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7020

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review