All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Birth control & IBS
      #346705 - 06/02/09 08:24 AM
Lynn26

Reged: 06/02/09

I have been on a few diff. birth controls in the last few years and i either had other problems or just had no sexual interest while taking them. I was just on Yaz and saw some horrible symptoms of ibs get worse, I heard from some other postings on websites that birth control can make ibs worse. Is this true, and if so what kind of birth control methods work for people with IBS? I have IBS D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Birth control & IBS new
      #346732 - 06/02/09 01:58 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Everyone's different, but I can tell you what works for me. I used to get flareups with my period, so I started taking mine continuously. That means I skip the placebos and don't get a period. Well, I'm breastfeeding now, so I haven't had a period in over a year, but that's a different story!

The key for me seemed to be having a constant hormone dose all the time. The fluctuations due to menstruation were awful for me. Make sure you're taking a monophasic pill (all the active pills are the same color), and talk to your doctor about skipping the placebos. No period, no PMS, no cramps, no IBS flareups...!!! Wonderful!

The pill I used for this was called Modicon, I believe.

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#346734 - 06/02/09 02:46 PM

Unregistered

I take ortho lo,are u saying I could just skip the green pills and not get a period? then do I just go without any pills till I would be done with the green ones,or would I start a new pack? I use my bc for bc,I know some girls just use it for other reasons such as acne or lighter periods.

#346740 - 06/02/09 05:20 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Yeast populations can multiply dramatically when you take BC pills.

#346763 - 06/03/09 06:45 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

She is saying that as soon as you end your pink pills, start the next pack of pink pills. Don't take the greens. If you are never off of the pink ones, you won't have a period. The green pills are simply a placebo. They are just there so you know when to start your next pack after your period. The green pills don't do anything, that is why you get your period. Pink ones keep you from having your period. So continuosly use pink pills, and no period!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#346792 - 06/03/09 01:21 PM

Unregistered

um,my pills are white,light blue and darker blue..the last ones are green.

#346795 - 06/03/09 01:45 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Ok, so you are going to continue to take white, light blue, and dark blue, when you are through with dark blue, start on your next pack (white pills) like you just finished your period but you didnt. Don't take the green ones, and move to the next pack and you won't have period.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#346813 - 06/03/09 09:18 PM

Unregistered

sometimes I wonder if I should or shouldn't have a period? like I think sometimes it's a good thing,like I think I go to the bathroom more then,sometimes.

NO!!! new
      #346853 - 06/04/09 02:36 PM
Lisa Marie

Like I said in my original post, this ONLY works when you have a monophasic pill - WHEN THEY'RE ALL THE SAME COLOR! When they're different colors, that means the hormone doseage changes every week. You can't skip the placebos unless you have the SAME hormone dose every week. Got it?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#346854 - 06/04/09 02:37 PM
Lisa Marie

If you're on birth control pills, what you're having isn't really a period, so it doesn't really mean anything. A "period" occurs after you ovulate if your egg isn't fertilized. When you're on the pill, you aren't ovulating, so you're not really having a period. You're just having withdrawal bleeding because you're not taking any hormones that week. Confusing, I know...

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 307 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6011

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review