All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
So bummed, upset, angry....etc.
      #325771 - 02/28/08 07:59 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

A few weeks ago, I underwent an entire panoply of testing with my new GI. He was considering prescribing me lotronex because my symptoms were getting bad and not responding to anything. Luckily, he was hesitant to rx me such a potent drug until he had personally and conclusively confirmed I had IBS since he had problems with the lack of testing my previous doctor conducted before settling on the IBS diagnosis.

I am so very glad he decided to reevaluate me. I went to see him yesterday and was told all my tests came back normal. Based on my low stool volume from my 48 hour stool collection, which indicates I have functional diarrhea, he was prepared to go forward with lotronex. I was supposed to go back next week to get all the paperwork signed. I finally felt hopeful that I could get my life back!

Well, I got the shock of all shockers last night. My doc called me around 9:30pm to tell me he finally got my colonoscopy results from the only colonoscopy I've ever had, which was the end of 2005. He said he was looking at the pathology report from the biopsies done and they revealed I had microscopic colitis. I was NEVER informed of this by my other doctor! Not ever!! My head started reeling because I've been operating under the assumption I had IBS based on the previous doctor's assurance that everything appeared completely normal in my colonoscopy and that I had IBS. Now, I come to find out, that for a little over two years, he had information that I was actually suffering from a different beast completely and I was none the wiser!

I am still so upset and angry and, quite honestly, shaken up by the whole thing. I trusted that jerk to take care of me and his negligence is nothing short of criminal in my opinion. My new doctor is going to do another colonoscopy next week to confirm whether the colitis is really present. However, in the meantime he wants me to take pepto bismol as that has some good effect on colitis.

I feel so lost! I can't stop crying, mostly because I am so unprepared for this and have no idea how to approach treating colitis since I have been learning about treating my IBS symptoms for the last few years.

Does anyone have microscopic colitis? It's different than Crohn's and UC, so I can't find too much out there other than the generic medical sites. Can you have colitis AND IBS? From what I find, it seems that you cannot since IBS is a diagnosis they give when nothing physically wrong manifests itself and since I have a physical problem apparent now, it's no longer considered IBS. The symptoms are the same, however, but treatment is different.

Oh man! So confused! So angry! Thanks for reading if you made it this far

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So bummed, upset, angry....etc. new
      #325824 - 02/29/08 10:34 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Sounds like you have every right to be angry. What a shock. I don't know about microscopic colitis, I'm sure there's info to be found on the web though.
Hang in there.....

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#325825 - 02/29/08 11:12 AM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

Wow, your last doc really was negligent and you do have every right to be angry. Just thank your lucky stars that your new doc has picked up on this and you might finally have some relief from your symptoms. Good luck & let us know how you get on with your research and further tests.

#325827 - 02/29/08 11:34 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

How awful! I can understand why you are so angry with that doctor - - I'd be through the roof!

At least now hopefully you will be able to start fresh and move forawrd with a new plan.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#325849 - 02/29/08 07:03 PM
AmandaM

I will let you know what happens. The colonoscopy is set for next Thursday so I will hopefully have some answers in a few weeks at most.

Thanks for the support from everyone. It helps. And all of you are right, I have to look at this for what it is and know it's finally a step in the right direction.

#325857 - 03/01/08 05:36 AM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

I have indeterminate UC and I can totally emphathize with how you are feeling with your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with mild UC in July 2003 and then indeterminate colitis in November 2004. I'm not very familar with microscopic colitis but I would imagine that your GI will prescribe you some sort of anti inflammatory medication. You'll probably need to change medications a few times before you find the one that works best for you. With the right medication you will be able to get this under control and lead a normal life.

Jenn

Thanks Jenn new
      #325870 - 03/01/08 09:52 AM
AmandaM

Am I correct in assuming that a special diet is still good for colitis? I do not plan to deviate from this diet as it has made me so much healthier all around, but I'm just curious if in your experience diet plays as key a part as with IBS.

Thanks again.

Re: Thanks Jenn new
      #325891 - 03/01/08 05:07 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Diet definitely plays a role in getting the colitis under control. I did use Heather's diet when I was in a flare up along with medication prescribed by my GI doctor. That being said once I was in remission I did start adding things in that I wasn't able to eat (eg: red meat on occasion, milk, yogurt, etc). I wouldn't recommend that though until you're stable and you know what you're able to eat.

When I was very sick I also picked up Eating Right for a Bad Gut and found the suggestions in their helpful as well. You might want to check it out at the local library.

Jenn

#325928 - 03/02/08 07:21 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Aww, geez! Unbelieveable. I'm so sorry that happened. Like everyone else said, at least now you can move forward.
Big hugs to you!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Thanks to all of you new
      #325971 - 03/03/08 09:36 PM
AmandaM

Thanks to all of you who responded. Your support and encouragement means so much and helps to make me feel less afraid and isolated right now. I can only explain my stomach woes to people who don't suffer from them (e.g. family and friends) before I begin to feel frustrated and sad because they can't understand, even though they're trying to.

My colonoscopy is set for this Thursday. I'll hopefully have an answer about my "insides" in a week or two after that at most. I'll let you guys know the outcome. Thank you again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 551 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2744

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review