Help For Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Education, Support, & Self Help for Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Heather & Company View Cart
Shop for IBSIBS Message BoardsIBS News & ReviewsStore Finder
Home
IBS Diet & Recipes
IBS Books
IBS Supplements
Yoga for IBS
Hypnosis for IBS
Tummy Teas
Get The IBS Diet Cheat Sheet
Get Trigger Foods, Safe Foods, Ten Commandments of Eating for IBS, More!

Enter First Name:

Enter Email:

We value your privacy

All Boards >> The Living Room

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin
Sad news from my kids school.
      #29729 - 12/02/03 12:39 PM

Over Thanksgiving weekend one the school's families was traveling and got into a serious car accident. The dad avoid hitting a deer and it caused the van to roll three times. Their sixth grader was ejected from the car and killed. The dad, mom and brother were injured, but nothing life threatening.

My kids came home talking about it yesterday and there are grief counselors at the school all week. I really feel bad for the family losing their daughter and for the 6th graders who lost a friend.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada
Re: Sad news from my kids school. new
      #29734 - 12/02/03 12:55 PM

That is so sad! How are your kids making out? Were they close with the girl?

It's so terrible when children have to deal with death...I guess I was pretty fortunate to not have to deal with that as a child!

Give your boys a hug for me and take care,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY
      #29751 - 12/02/03 02:20 PM

That is terrible! A boy in my class died of Menongitis when I was in 7th or 8th grade, so I know how traumatic something like that can be. Hugs to you and your kids!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA
      #29753 - 12/02/03 02:25 PM

I was fortunate enough not to have any of my fellow classmates die so I can't even begin to imagine how it must feel at school. Sorry to hear.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA
      #29755 - 12/02/03 02:32 PM

That is so sad!! Sorry to hear that.....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina
      #29757 - 12/02/03 02:59 PM

Wow, how sad. I'd never bring this up to the family, but I can't help but think how much difference it would make if people would wear seatbelts and enforce that on their children. Ejected makes me think not, in this case? Too late for them, I know, but something for the rest of us to remember! One of my close high school friends was ejected out on an overpass, to the highway below, and killed, in an otherwise "minor" crash - a seatbelt would have saved his life. So forgive my soapbox! Prayers to this family and your kids as they work through it.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana
      #29759 - 12/02/03 03:07 PM

One of my friends in third grade was hit by a car and killed, and we made a memorial garden for her at school. Maybe you should check and see if the school is doing anything like this for her? I hope everything works out. I'll praying for you all!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA
      #29783 - 12/02/03 07:03 PM

Last year I taught kindergarten. A first grade died after being in the hospital for a couple of days from illness. It was AWFUL! I was friendly with his older sisters...and the boy was a true light! He was always smiling and making others happy. They had a meeting with the teachers and grievance counselors and all...it was difficult!

I also lost a friend in elementary...she had a heart condition. We also had a memorial like they did at Peache's school.

Feel free to share any feelings with us......we're here for you!

*huge hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;
      #29797 - 12/02/03 07:55 PM

Sorry to hear that. I lost 2 of my classmates in a car accident when I was in school, so can somewhat relate. We had the grief counselors at our school also. Hope your kids are handling it okay.

Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
deer new
      #29816 - 12/02/03 10:40 PM

That is really horrible -- it is good the kids have counselors to work with them, though. One of the most important factors in successfully dealing w/ a death is having one's feelings validated througout the grieving process (anger, sadness, etc).

I was taught in driver's ed to NEVER swerve to hit a deer or large animal, but to speed up and hit it straight on... it is the only way to survive. Unfortunately, instinct tells us to do the opposite.

My prayers are with the family and friend of the daughter killed...

Maybe you could send the family over a few cards and gifts (meals? baked goods?) over the next 6 mo. to 1 year. Most ppl stop sending thems after a few months, but families are usually seriously grieving for two years...

Best,
Shanna

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 540

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This website is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Information on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should not use the information on this web site for diagnosing or treating a medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have an urgent medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.

Any application of the recommendations in this website is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this website and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations on these message boards.

Home | Shop for IBS | IBS Message Boards | IBS News & Reviews
IBS Diet & Recipes | IBS Books | IBS Supplements | Yoga for IBS | Hypnosis for IBS
IBS Tummy Teas | Irritable Bowel Syndrome Glossary

About Us | IBS Links | Search this Site | Site Map | Shipping & Returns | Privacy & Security
Contact Us | For Doctors & Dietitians | Wholesale | Co-packing Services

1999-2009, Heather Van Vorous, HelpForIBS.com, Heather & Company for IBS, LLC.
All information & art is proprietary and may not be duplicated.
All rights reserved.

Legal & Medical Disclaimer

Website Design