All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any suggestions on how to make Questran powder palatable?
      #292347 - 12/03/06 11:51 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've started taking Questran and it comes in this vile orange-flavored powder. The first dose I mixed with water and it was so awful I nearly couldn't keep it down. Today I tried it with applesauce and it was nearly as bad.

A big problem besides the taste is the texture ... it doesn't really dissolve, per se, it makes the liquid very gritty and awful.

I'm going to check with the pharmacy to see if there's an unflavored powder I can take. But in the meantime -- any suggestions on what to mix with it? I know that orange juice would be logical, but I have IC so I absolutely cannot do anything citrus -- it just kills me, as does any higher-acid fruit. I can do pears and bananas -- applesauce does cause a bit of pain but it's fairly mild. I was thinking maybe of trying it in a smoothie but a pear-banana-fake-orange smoothie sounds pretty revolting.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any suggestions on how to make Questran powder palatable? new
      #292368 - 12/03/06 05:47 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Actually, I used to drink a smoothie that was milk, orange juice, banana, and some kind of flavoring - honey maybe and some vanilla extract. It was surprisingly good. If I run across the recipe - it wasn't in the book I thought it was - I'll post the exact proportions. Anyhow, if the Questran actually tastes somewhat like orange this might work. If it just tastes vile with a suggestion of orange, probably not.

Could you take just a little bit of it at a time spread over the whole day? That might make it easier to hide in stuff. Also if you don't have to take much, you can buy empty capsules at the drug store and fill them. (Although that's not as easy as you might think. )

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#292371 - 12/03/06 06:06 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

It does taste very orange, but in a baby-aspirin-Kool-Aid kind of way if you know what I mean.

I don't know if I can take it a little at a time but that's probably not going to be an answer considering how strong the flavor is. I'm actually splitting my dose in half and taking one dose after lunch and one dose after dinner. Reading stuff online it looks like most people actually take one dose first thing in the morning or a dose before each meal. The reason I decided to split the dose and do it after meals is because I took my first dose on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and it really disagreed with me. However, maybe if the Questran starts helping then I won't have a problem doing it on an empty stomach.

I'll stop at the store tomorrow and buy bananas to try the smoothie thing. (You don't need to post a recipe, I can fake it.) It's not going to be very convenient if I try to do a dose at lunch because I'm at work 5 days a week. Maybe I should just have a smoothie before I go to bed and take the whole dose then?

Ugh, what a pain! But heck, if it helps with this horrible D I'd eat insect larvae, so I guess I can put up with some nasty citrus-y stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know how it goes.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

questran question and another question new
      #292375 - 12/03/06 06:54 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

has questran worked for anyone?.. i was at the GI doc recently and he gave it to me.. he said it might make me sick, so im not even going to try it lol.. my sis in law bought me some OTC "digestive advantage" for IBS.. im taking them to my doctor to see if theyre safe to try.. now for my second question.. my GI doc said i might not only have IBS but something else.. i told him how ive changed my diet.. ive tried everything..but even liquids cause D.. he said something about maybe i had trouble from the gallbladder surgery and my liver is something about too much bile..that was his reason for giving me the questran, he said its a "touch and go" type thing so if the questran dont work.. theres no treatment.. has anyone ever heard of this?? he really confused me LOL..

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Re: questran question and another question new
      #292407 - 12/04/06 07:21 AM
Sand

There's a brief explanation of gall bladder removal, bile, and Questran here: web page

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#292530 - 12/05/06 08:40 AM
Sand

I like orange Kool-Aid and I used to like baby aspirin when I was, well, not a baby but very young. So I hope the banana-fake orange smoothie works out.

Quote:

However, maybe if the Questran starts helping then I won't have a problem doing it on an empty stomach.

You know, there's something odd about that logic but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Quote:

Maybe I should just have a smoothie before I go to bed and take the whole dose then?

If you have reflux, then I guess it depends on whether the Questran is actually citrus as in acid as in bad idea before bed.

Quote:

if it helps with this horrible D I'd eat insect larvae

I know what you mean. And that day may be coming. A friend of mine has a brother who's on some kind of blood sugar med that comes from gila monsters. No word on whether he's become cold-blooded and started doing that tongue flicking thing.

I do hope you can find a not too disgusting way to get the Questran down - and that it helps.

--------------------

#292744 - 12/06/06 09:44 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

When I was a new IBS-er, I tried Citrucel, and I hated it. I mixed it with ice in the blender to make a slushie, and that made it palatable. Maybe something similar would work.

Good luck!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 705 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3033

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review