All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How "IBS understanding" is your spouse?
      #287488 - 10/22/06 05:34 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

At this moment, I'm about to burst, not from IBS but from my spouse and his non-acceptance of me feeling awful! I'm asleep on the couch, feeling like death and he barges in the door and asks what's for dinner! Ack! You gotta be kidding, I don't even want to look at food!

And then, later this evening, as I'm feeling a little better than death, he asks me to help him carry some plywood into the garage. I'm really not that strong, and 4x8 sheets of plywood - mosting 1/2 and 3/4 inch thick - are NOT LIGHT! Then he gets frustrated with me because I can't lift up my end, not to mention trying to maneuver around all the CRAP he has strewn about in the garage. And to top it off, we had to carry some of it upstairs in the garage, around a corner and up the stairs. Gimme a break, I get winded just going up the stairs, not to mention carrying plywood! Ack again!

Whew, guess I just needed to vent. Sometimes he can be Mr. Almost Perfect and then there's today!

How understanding are your significant others? Is everyone else as weak and scrawny as me? Ugh, of all the years I wished to be thin. I'd rather have some meat on me and feel better!

Thanks for allowing me to vent. That really helps.

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm a lucky girl new
      #287492 - 10/22/06 06:44 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years, and I have to say, he's BEYOND understanding about my IBS. When I was at my sickest, he waited on me hand and foot for months! Now that I'm stable, he's still very understanding if I'm having a bad day. Then again, it probably does help that I've never been one to wallow - if I can't get out of bed, he knows there's something REALLY wrong, because I'm a big, rugged, tough woman and it takes a lot to derail me.

But take heart - he may be perfect when it comes to understanding IBS, but nobody's actually perfect. He manages to annoy me in other respects sometimes. LOL!

Re: I'm a lucky girl new
      #287495 - 10/22/06 08:00 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years has been amazingly understanding most of my really bad year thrown in with a few outbursts of his frustration which made me cry, then we apologized and went back to normal. All of his outdursts of not being understanding though were related to the sme types of things, me trying too many new things at once and feeliong sick and him saying i should stop trying so much natural junk at one time and making myself worse, me not making an effort to just deal with it on some days and me being overly neurotic about my fear of throwing up and food in general and it making me feel bad (i spent a good 6 months eating only rice and steamed vegetables) the funny part is that in the end now that i am back on my AD's i see how right he was and feel bad that i let myself get that bad before finally going back to meds. All in all he has been more understanding than i could have ever hoped for and even my parents sent him a thank you email for putting up with me while i went a little bit haywire. Like atomic rose said, he isn't perfect, but we are so great together and have so much fun together most of the time that i wouldn't trade him in for the world, just remind your husband how difficult it is for you sometimes, but also do as you did and judt get up and try sometimes since wallowing makes things worse.
Hope any of that helps.

I'm a lucky guy!! new
      #287497 - 10/22/06 11:36 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

My wife of 25 years is very understading. It does help that I have never let ibs rule my life for very long, and have always tried to maintain a normal existence, but all in all she has been very supportive of me throughout these years. She has even decided that what I eat is good food, although on occasion I will cook her up some red meat.

And ... she is perfect.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Your posts almost always make me smile, Double J. (m) new
      #287521 - 10/23/06 08:03 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

And I'm a very lucky woman. My husband is very supportive. He's adapted to my diet, is understanding when I'm having a bad day, and plans fun stuff to do when I'm feeling good - which, IBS-wise, is most of the time now.

In fact, except for his tendency to leave kitchen cabinet doors open, I'd say he's pretty much perfect, too.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Sand, I had to laugh (m) new
      #287550 - 10/23/06 10:31 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

My husband is completely incapable of closing drawers - bedroom, kitchen, you name it. What's with that?

Laura

Re: How "IBS understanding" is your spouse? new
      #287553 - 10/23/06 10:35 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I think all guys have their moments, and we probably do too! Admitting that is the hardest part!

I am lucky as well in that my husband is completely understanding. I do think that the fact that he has colitis helps a little, but I give him credit for dealing with my IBS. When you're feeling better, hit him up for some help when he's down or in the middle of the big game. Maybe that will show him how you felt!

Good luck and feel better!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

You guys/gals ARE lucky! new
      #287555 - 10/23/06 10:54 AM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

I am over being ticked at him for his inability to understand that I can't lift plywood! I should count my blessings in other ways, because like I said, he is Mr. "Almost" Perfect. Except for leaving dirty socks in the middle of the living room.... but that's another subject!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Re: How "IBS understanding" is your spouse? new
      #287568 - 10/23/06 12:20 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi,
I was first diagnosed in July/03 with ulcerative colitis when I began dating my fiance. His Grandma and Aunt have chrohn's so he had some idea of what was involved with this disease. He has been supportive for the most part although is frustrated with it at times.

Jenn

I read this to my husband, lj and he said new
      #287586 - 10/23/06 02:03 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

"Well if I close it I'm just going to have to open it again later."

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4734

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review