All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I was fired by my hairdresser!
      #25737 - 11/06/03 07:08 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Thought you ladies would get a kick out of my haircutting story. Sorry for the length.
Yesterday my hairdresser gets so mad at me that she "fires" me! I was so embarrassed. She treated me like the client from hell! I was just trying to be patient with her. I have not been happy with the last 2 cuts she's given me and really wanted to give her another chance. (I had to switch to her after my usual stylist went on maternity leave.)
You know how the stylists alwasy tell you to be honest and tell them if you're not pleased. Well, I tried that and it didn't work.
The first time she cut my hair it was so short that I couldn't do anything with it. I explained that to her, and the 2nd haircut was so long that I had to return shortly afterwards to have someone else cut it again.
Then comes yesterday, my 3rd cut. I explained to her what I wanted, but I wasn't getting anywhere near that cut. I told her it looked too heavy and asked her to please use the texturizing scissors on the top. She got mad (you do not want a mad person cutting your hair!) and chopped, chopped. Then when she dried it, she was flipping it up---and I always wear it turned under. I mentioned that and she angrily sprayed me with the water bottle and started that process of drying over. I guess she could tell by the look on my face that I wasn't pleased with the results, so all of a sudden, she screams, "THIS IS NOT WORKING! YOU ARE NEVER HAPPY WITH WHAT I DO TO YOUR HAIR!" She was almost in tears. She marches me up to the front counter to pay and says to my former hairdresser (who is now back), "She's not satisfied with me. Maybe it would be best if you helped her from no on!"
This is a very nice, high-end salon and there were several ladies waiting up front for massages and manicures. I was so embarrassed by the scene she made! People were looking up from their magazine pages and snickering. I wasn't being that difficult! By when I pay $40 for a haircut, I expect to be somewhere close to what I want. Is that too much to ask?

Anyway, my former stylist (now the salon manager) offered to redo my cut tomorrow, free of charge. The only problem is I have to go back in there and sit in the chair directly across from the other stylist. Talk about a touchy situation
I guess she did me a favor because I wasn't going to return to her. I just think she handled it poorly. I would have never "fired" her in front of everybody---I would have been discreet and called her later. Personally, I think she had a bad case of PMS yesterday.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I was fired by my hairdresser! new
      #25738 - 11/06/03 07:46 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Wow, that sucks! I think she was having some severe PMS! I agree she handled the situation WRONG! I probably would have been embarrassed too but she was the one making the scene, not you! Let us know how it turns out!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#25741 - 11/06/03 07:55 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Well, I have to be completely honest! I can understand the your stylists frustration...I pay upwards to $100 to get my hair done. That's cut, colored and styled.

I have a stylist I love, but this is why.

On one of my first visits she asks me what I wanted done to my hair...I picked a style and she cut it. It looked nothing like what I wanted. It happened a couple times. Finally I asked her what was up and she said...If you expect you hair to do the same as anyone else you are dreaming. True. Everyone's hair is different.

Remember - a hair stylist STYLES you hair the way she would style her own...I would just let them be and then change it when you get home...I know tons of women who have to do this.

I don't because I have learnt to do my hair the way my stylist always styles it.

Be patient...no one is perfect and it's obviously that it just wasn't todays hair problems that wore on her from you...maybe it was the other two times too. I would talk to her and see what is up and see what you can do to rectify the situation.

I don't want to seem harsh! I just want you to realize no one knows what you expect from your hair.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Lana Marie,,,, new
      #25745 - 11/06/03 08:19 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm sorry but I think we have totally opposite viewpoints on this. I notice in your photo that you have long hair. When you have short, fine hair like mine the way the stylist cuts it is most important, not the way she fixes it afterwards. If I don't get the cut my hair needs, I cannot come home and style it another way! With silky fine hair like mine, it's crucial that you get a good cut, or you cannot do ANYTHING with it. Too short and it's so flat to your head that you look like a 4-year-old. Too long and it's weighted down and it's limp as a rag. This is not rocket-science stuff. In a nice salon, a stylist should be trained in the layering and texturizing techniques that maximize fine hair.
But I do agree with you in one area, a stylist usually cuts hair according to what they know best---their own hair. This stylist has thick, longer hair and I don't think she understands short, fine hair. After 3 haircuts, I could see that no matter how short or long she cut it, she was not using the techniques that my type of hair needed.
I did not think I was being rude---I was just explaining what I wanted. I understand her frustration; I was frustrated too because I was getting I haircut that I hated. We both knew the relationship wasn't working!
Actually, I am relieved to not be returning to her. I was just shocked and embarrassed by her public outburst yesterday!

Re: Lana Marie,,,, new
      #25746 - 11/06/03 08:28 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Actually my hair is only long in the photo for my wedding. I have fine stringy hair that I usually keep incredibly short. Right now my hair is only a few inches on the top.

I usually get my hair cut really short to start with because then I don't have to go as often. I think maybe you are trying to have the same style no matter the length of your hair and with short hairstyles you really can't do that.

I don't know..it's obvious we don't agree on this subject LOL. We shall just agree to disagree.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#25749 - 11/06/03 08:40 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I hate having anyone other than my usual hairdresser cut my hair because it never turns out right. That gal was definately wrong in how she handled your situation. You should be proud of yourself for saying something.

#25751 - 11/06/03 08:48 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Aww, sweetie. There is nothing more traumatic than having your hair done - there is more need for trust there than with my doctor!!! I have had the same hairdresser since I was 12. If she retires, I'm toast!

Take comfort in knowing YOU treated the situation with dignity and that you were polite and not trying to hurt her feelings. If it would make you feel better, you can always explain this to your hairstylist (the manager - not the yelling one!). Just say that you feel bad that she got upset and that was certainly not your intention. Say that you were just trying to articulate what you wanted and giving her another chance. If I was her manager, I would sit her down and review common courtesy and how to treat customers. You can even ask the manager to tell the other hairdresser privately that you are truly sorry she was hurt but was not happy with the cut or the rotten treatment. MAke sense?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#25753 - 11/06/03 08:53 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never get a hair cut that I like. Because I blow-dry my hair a certain way, I ask the stylist if I can blow-dry my hair after a cut so I can get it the way I want it. It's not my stylist's fault since everyone styles their hair differently. The only time I get upset is if she/he cuts my hair crooked on one side. Most of the time if she/he cuts it wrong, it's my fault for wanting to try a new style that doesn't work on my face or not describing it enough.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#25769 - 11/06/03 09:53 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

So sorry you had a bad time!!! I know just how you feel. I think hairdressers do what with your hair and think it would look best this way...NOT the way you told them!! I have to take pictures in to my hairdresser if I'm doing something really different. My hair is really long right now!! I've been debating on cutting it!! I think I'm to attached to the long hair to cut it!! So is my son! He freeks if he thinks I'm going to cut my hair...I have to hurry and tell him just a trim!! LOL!! I feel bad the woman mad you feel so dumb....it's really her that looks that way...If I were the manager I would have been very upset with her!!! I bet she had a little talk with her about it!!

Well good luck this time around! Let us know how it works for you!!! HAPPY HAIR CUT!!!

Steph

--------------------

#25787 - 11/06/03 10:13 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

BL - How did you tell her that you didn't like it? Were you nice? The only reason I say this is that sometimes people say things and others take it the wrong way. Maybe she misunderstood you. That doesn't make it alright for her to make a public scene, but honestly, what makes me think this is you tell your story like you are an innocent victim, but then you end it with you thought she had a bad case of PMS, which doesn't sound nice on your part either. Are you sure you didn't give her the wrong impression? Besides, I thought you just wrote a month or so ago that you got your hair done and you loved it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 262 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2647

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review